Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Blades, ASR's and Hot Swapping

Blades, ASR's and Hot Swapping

Rambo via WinServerKB.com

Hi, I'm new to System Admin and Blade/SAN servers. I have a new Blade Center
with 9 Blades and an EonStor SAN RAID Array. The OS's are on the SAN. We
are using Win 2003 Standard Edition with 1 - 4 Processor Licensing. One of
the Blades purchased is a single processor and after realizing the error
there in, we want to upgrade to a dual processor Blade. Since the OS is
located on the SAN, I thought I could do a 'hot swap' of Blades by re-mapping
the LUN to the new Blade. My question is, How will Windows react to that?
Will it be ignorant like on a desktop when you change a piece of hardware and
it refuses to start? Or will it just ask me to re-activate since the hardware
configuration is no longer the same? Also, does anyone know how to do an ASR
with the OS on the SAN? I appreciate the help and my thanks are in advance.

--
Brian Jacobs
b.jacobs[AT]polartreasures[DOT]de