Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > port scan shows ports not stealthed

port scan shows ports not stealthed

dc

Not my idea, but...
I use it for my router and someother things
I copy and paste it into the router after tweaking
Paste it into Notetab
print it
and put it in my fire safe

Doesn't really make any difference on like the router
What I usually do about it later is simply reset it in the back
and then usually unplug it to dump the cache

good day,
dc

"jc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KNrmi.321968$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dc wrote:
> > You probably already know this, but here is the GRC Ultra Password site
> > https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
> >
> > dc
> >

> Are they serious? A good password has to be something a user can
> remember. Even written on paper, nobody could type these without making
> errors.
>

> jc
>

> > "RH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:469983a1$0$4928$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> grc.com shows I have a lot of ports showing to be closed, but not

stealth.
> >> Using new Linksys router on Vista...
> >>
> >> Is it a threat, can the ports be stealthed?

Sebastian G.

jc wrote:

> You're only as strong as your weakest link. What good would it be to
> have 64 char passwords if your db only required say, 16 chars?

Change the database.

Sebastian G.

Juergen Nieveler wrote:

> The user HAS to be able to remember the password, or he'll write it
> down, which would be BAD.

Writing down passwords is not bad. The purpose of passwords is to be
infeasible to guess by the attacker, which includes making it infeasible to
get hold of where the password is written down.

> Writing down passwords, even encrypted in a file, isn't as secure as
> memorizing them.

But writing down a strong password is way more secure than memorizing a weak
on. Since memorizing a strong password typically is no serious option...

> If you want to generate a hard-to-get password, think of a sentence
> that you can remember, and then only use the first letter of every word
> (or the first of the first word, second of the second word...)

Or simply take the whole sentence, which is no less secure but easier to
remember and type.

Juergen Nieveler

"Sebastian G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> If you want to generate a hard-to-get password, think of a sentence
>> that you can remember, and then only use the first letter of every word
>> (or the first of the first word, second of the second word...)

> Or simply take the whole sentence, which is no less secure but easier
> to remember and type.

Except when the application or OS only accepts 8-letter-passwords and
simply discards the rest. Without telling you, of course... as was
recently the case with AOL.

Juergen Nieveler
--
Aural sex produces eargasms