Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to kick out someone from my network

How to kick out someone from my network

Anon

Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
it and I thought this is a good place to start.
I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
computers (laptops) to the network.
I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
following questions:

1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
already has that IP' )

2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
address?

I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other
ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....

Thank you very much!

Rostik

Mr. Arnold

<snipped>

There should be a couple of people here that will help you on this. But you
should also make this post to comp.secuirty.firewalls as well.

JANA

Get a router that has MAC filtering. Maybe the one you have has MAC
filtering. Set up an allow list for the MAC filter table. You will then need
a list of all the MAC numbers to allow. Once set up, if the MAC number is
not entered, any non approved will not work on the network.

--

JANA
_____

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
[...]

why?

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:07:28 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
>it and I thought this is a good place to start.

No the MS Server newsgroups then?

>I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
>Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
>the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
>computers (laptops) to the network.

Assuming not wireless. That's just a guess as you didn't say.

>I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
>following questions:

You don't get rid of, you don't give leases in the 1st place.

Read up about assigning leases based on MAC addresses and

www.google.com
dhcp scope pool mac address 2003

You simple create reservations based on allowed MAC addresses.

If it's 20 PCs or 20000 the methods are the same, collect MAC addresses,
verify allowed and use the server tools to script the work and make it
easier.

>1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
>lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
>that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
>already has that IP' )

That's how DHCP works.

>2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
>address?

When the user changes the hostname how do you ban it again?

>I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other

Windows 2003 Server Admin trainig course.

>ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....

What no clues!

>Thank you very much!
>
>Rostik

Me

Meat Plow

> Hi Guys, I need to solve a problem and I don't know exactly how to do
> it and I thought this is a good place to start.
> I have an office LAN and sometimes when I check the DHCP leases at
> Windows Server (2003) I see sometimes some hosts that don't belong to
> the office, so it means some people sometimes connect personal
> computers (laptops) to the network.
> I need to get rid of it so I would really know the answer for the
> following questions:
>
> 1) Can I kick out that host from the network? (if I just erase the
> lease, the IP is still there and if the dhcp server wants to assign
> that ip to other computer it will get an error of ' another device
> already has that IP' )
>
> 2) How can I ban that hostname so my dhcp server wont assign it an IP
> address?
>
> I'm kinda lost on how to do it in Windows.... I can think of other
> ways but for now I only want to do it form the win server....
>
> Thank you very much!

Find the person(s) and smash their laptops over their heads. That should
take care of it.

aspx page to kick off async background task and then end Carl Johansen ASP .Net 3 07-03-2005 01:06 PM
Newbie needs a kick ACE FAN ASP .Net 6 04-22-2005 09:12 PM
web form needs to kick off console app ??? greg ASP .Net 2 08-27-2004 03:53 AM
OT: You'll get a kick outta this one Consultant Brat MCSE 21 11-13-2003 01:53 PM

Advertisments