Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye

Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye

BioColor@aol.com

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:36:03 -0700, The Real Bev
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We visited the NG building in DC in the late 60s or early 70s and marveled
>at the photomosaic of the entire US on one of the walls. Do you know if
>it's still there or if it's been replaced with something better?

I don't know, Bev. But you may be interested in these two images:

Earth in the day:

Earth at night:

You can click on the images to get bigger versions. The night one has
a link to an even bigger version.

Cheers,
DuncanC

David J Taylor

[]
> Thanks, David, for the numbers. At least they don't have to worry
> about spatial mosaicking. I did read a while ago that the registration
> through time for the "movie loops" presented lots of difficulty when
> it was first attempted. I think the driving force was the desire to
> put in state boundaries and roads for the weather reports on the
> nightly news.

Yes, the images as now disseminated are pre-corrected to a "perfect"
geostationary projection by comparing ground control points with their
predicted positions, and adjusting the parameters in the satellite roll,
pitch and yaw for best match. In the very latest satellites it's even
more complex as the images are sent out in segments before the full image
is available, so there is a predictive element to the correction as well
as the post-scan correction. In Europe, we are currently running one
satellite with 5-minute repeat scans of the European region, and the
animations are wonderfully smooth.

> Right around the time I went to the opening reception for the
> Smithsonian exhibit (string quartet and lobster tails) the NatGeo
> Society was interested in doing something spectacular to commemorate
> their upcoming bicentennial. Having some experience now, we suggested
> doing over their lobby globe with Landsat satellite imagery instead of
> drawn maps. They didn't go for it. About a decade later the DeLorme
> mapping company just down the road from me did exactly that. It is a
> spectacular sight.
>
> Cheers,
> DuncanC

If I'm in that part of the world, I'll be sure to look it up!

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> I don't know, Bev. But you may be interested in these two images:
>
> Earth in the day:
>
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020305.html
>
> Earth at night:
>
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap040822.html
>
> You can click on the images to get bigger versions. The night one has
> a link to an even bigger version.
>
> Cheers,
> DuncanC

Segmented images up to a total size of 172800 x 86400 pixels (in eight
panels of 21600 pixels square) here:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

Cheers,
David