Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye

Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye

javawizard

Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

Scott W

javawizard wrote:
> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

137 sounds about right if you allow a person to look in any direction,
resolution of the eye about 0.3 mr over 4*pi sr = 139MP.

FWIW here is a photo that has about 172MP.
http://www.sewcon.com/largephotos/full_res.jpg (31 MB)
Note the photo is too large to view in most browsers and so needs to be
downloaded and viewed in a program Such are photoshop.

The low res version can be seen here
http://www.sewcon.com/largephotos/35mm_res.jpg

Scott

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Jul 15, 8:13 am, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
> human eye. - from the Technology section ofwww.odd-info.com

1. You appear to be spamming. So I have not visited that (your?)
site, and will only reply to your posted 'info'. I'll be most
interested to see if you return..

2. There is NO way to sensibly compare such things. Your eye has high
resolution over only a very small angle, as Scott pointed out. It's
your brain that does the work of assembling the data collected and it
can easily fool you into believing an entire scene is sharp even when
it isn't. To prove that, FREEZE your eye on a word. While not moving
your eye, can you read a line of text that is say, 6 lines down from
the one you are staring at? If your eye has 137 Mp resolution, why
can't you? And yet this unreadable text looks somehow 'sharp' - your
brain does some clever tricks...

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jul 14, 5:13 pm, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
> human eye. - from the Technology section ofwww.odd-info.com

It is very hard to compare resolution of the eye with a camera, either
digital or film. The high resolution of the human eye is only in the
foveal region (about 1 minute of arc there). But the fovea only
encompasses about two degrees of vision. From that point the
resolution degrades rapidly towards the periphery. If you take the
total field of human vision and divide by an arc minute you very much
overestimate human vision. The number of megapixels is far fewer.

However, the eye scans a photo, looking at regions of interest with
the fovea. The actual field of view the eye can scan is hard to fix-
do we allow the head to move, or just the eyes?

javawizard wrote:
> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

The web site says no more that what is stated
above, like everything else on the web site. It doesn't say
how the derivation was made, nothing, not even a reference.

For a little more detail, and derivations ranging from
324 to 576 megapixels and greater, see:

Notes on the Resolution and Other Details of the Human Eye
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...esolution.html

I would say your 137 is quite low.

Roger

John Turco

javawizard wrote:

> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

Hello,

Soon? Not at that rate!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Gladiator

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:13:18 -0700, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
>days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
>typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
>megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
>much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
>you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
>human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

Maybe your eyes but mine are 1mp at best.

Desert Dweller

Gladiator wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:13:18 -0700, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
>> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
>> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
>> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
>> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
>> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
>> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

> Maybe your eyes but mine are 1mp at best.

Seems the estimations are all over the board.

81 megapixels
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye

576 megapixels
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...esolution.html

500 megapixels
http://digg.com/hardware/Human_Eye_=...nd_Moore_s_Law

16 megapixels
http://www.computer.org/portal/site/computer/menuitem.5d61c1d591162e4b0ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1_article&TheCat=10 70&path=computer/homepage/1006&file=entertain.xml&xsl=article.xsl&;jsessioni d=GdGYmMynqn59gpx8bb9fHDMq529Bd2Yh72HHGfWnhqpnXnsH SH9b!-267347837

Is there a right answer?

--
DD

Ray Paseur

This topic brings to mind that quote about beauty: In the eye of the
beholder (or beer holder, if you prefer). You can achieve acceptable
fine art photographic enlargements with conventional 6MP cameras, but
you can't read license plates from three miles away -- the optics aren't
good enough. Specialized cameras can take on that surveillance work,
but they rarely produce something you would hang on your walls.

In my humble experience, it's the lens, more than the megapixels that
matters. Also, the bit depth of the image seems to matter more than the
megapixels when I make enlargements or adjustments to the original
photograph.

The exception to this broad generalization comes up when you haven't got
the right lens or your original composition is not what you wanted, and
you need to crop the image, then enlarge it for printing. In this
situation more megapixels are better. But as a practical matter it is
not easy to get enough megapixels, even by changing cameras, to make
good enlargements from severe crops.

Cameras record a two-dimensional view of the world, and image
information increases much more slowly than the megapixel count. To
double the dimensions of an image from a 6MP camera, you need to record
24MP. That gets expensive!

Desert Dweller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:5Fjni.46$(E-Mail Removed):

> Gladiator wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:13:18 -0700, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels
>>> these days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution
>>> was typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
>>> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
>>> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
>>> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
>>> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

>> Maybe your eyes but mine are 1mp at best.

> Seems the estimations are all over the board.
>
> 81 megapixels
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye
>
> 576 megapixels
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...esolution.html
>
> 500 megapixels
> http://digg.com/hardware/Human_Eye_=...ixels_-_Pixels,

_photos_an
> d_Moore_s_Law
>
> 16 megapixels
> http://www.computer.org/portal/site/...61c1d591162e4b

0
> ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1_article&TheCat=10 70

&pa
> th=computer/homepage/1006

&file=entertain.xml&xsl=article.xsl&;jsessioni
> d=GdGYmMynqn59gpx8bb9fHDMq529Bd2Yh72HHGfWnhqpnXnsH SH9b!-267347837
>
> Is there a right answer?
>
> --
> DD

Ron Hunter

Desert Dweller wrote:
> Gladiator wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:13:18 -0700, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Typical digital cameras have a resolution of about 8 megapixels these
>>> days. Just a few years ago, one, or three-megapixel resolution was
>>> typical. The human eye has a resolution of approximately 137
>>> megapixels. It's not quite a linear comparison, since our eyes have
>>> much higher resolution in the central area than at the edges. Still,
>>> you can imagine that soon cameras will be more sensitive than the
>>> human eye. - from the Technology section of www.odd-info.com

>> Maybe your eyes but mine are 1mp at best.

> Seems the estimations are all over the board.
>
> 81 megapixels
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye
>
> 576 megapixels
> http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...esolution.html
>
> 500 megapixels
> http://digg.com/hardware/Human_Eye_=...nd_Moore_s_Law
>
> 16 megapixels
> http://www.computer.org/portal/site/computer/menuitem.5d61c1d591162e4b0ef1bd108bcd45f3/index.jsp?&pName=computer_level1_article&TheCat=10 70&path=computer/homepage/1006&file=entertain.xml&xsl=article.xsl&;jsessioni d=GdGYmMynqn59gpx8bb9fHDMq529Bd2Yh72HHGfWnhqpnXnsH SH9b!-267347837
>
> Is there a right answer?
>
> --
> DD

Assuming that all humans have the same visual acuity is rather like
assuming they all have the same blood pressure, or blood glucose level,
or skin color.