Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser

Reply
Thread Tools

Update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser

 
 
Barry Karas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
14-Jul-07

How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)

Thank you,

Barry Karas


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
Barry Karas wrote:
> 14-Jul-07
>
> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>
> Thank you,
>
> Barry Karas
>
>


you can try the following extensions:

IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/

or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

--
Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one. Thanks!

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Barry Karas wrote:
>> 14-Jul-07
>>
>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Barry Karas
>>

>
> you can try the following extensions:
>
> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>
> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/
>


Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy in
using it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Old Enough
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Barry Karas wrote:
>> 14-Jul-07
>>
>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
>> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
>> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
>> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> Barry Karas
>>
>>

>
>you can try the following extensions:
>
>IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>
>or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/


Very helpful information!

Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?

_________________________________
Old Enough
to know I don't know a thing ....
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>
>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
>>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
>>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
>>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Barry Karas
>>>

>> you can try the following extensions:
>>
>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>
>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/
>>

>
> Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
> Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
> notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
> downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy in
> using it.
>


I use win98, and I don't get that windows update within IE
any more. They took that webpage way when they dropped 98.
So, I use windizupdate and its found lots of updates for me.

--
Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one. Thanks!

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
Old Enough wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>
>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
>>> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
>>> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
>>> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Barry Karas
>>>
>>>

>> you can try the following extensions:
>>
>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>
>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

>
> Very helpful information!
>
> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
>


I don't know. I think it would because its a separate
program and operates outside of IE and Windows Update.
Maybe you can give it a try and report back.

--
Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
one. Thanks!

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
SteveG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-14-2007
Old Enough wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>
>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I suppose
>>> I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything automatically added
>>> to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do not want the files that the
>>> people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Barry Karas
>>>
>>>

>> you can try the following extensions:
>>
>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>
>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

>
> Very helpful information!
>
> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
>
> _________________________________
> Old Enough
> to know I don't know a thing ....


The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
want to install.

Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell you
when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
risk because WAU is turned off.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2007
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>>
>>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
>>>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
>>>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
>>>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>>
>>>> Thank you,
>>>>
>>>> Barry Karas
>>>>
>>> you can try the following extensions:
>>>
>>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>>
>>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/
>>>

>>
>> Personal opinion, but I think one is much better off using the Windows
>> Update feature than adding extensions to FF. WU can be set up to only
>> notify the user of available updates as opposed to automatically
>> downloading and installing them, which seems to be the OP's hesitancy
>> in using it.
>>

>
> I use win98, and I don't get that windows update within IE any more.
> They took that webpage way when they dropped 98. So, I use windizupdate
> and its found lots of updates for me.
>


It's finding official updates from Microsoft for an operating system for
which it has dropped support? I'm very curious about that.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2007
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Old Enough wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>>
>>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
>>>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
>>>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
>>>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>>
>>>> Thank you,
>>>>
>>>> Barry Karas
>>>>
>>> you can try the following extensions:
>>>
>>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>>
>>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

>>
>> Very helpful information!
>>
>> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
>> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
>>

>
> I don't know. I think it would because its a separate program and
> operates outside of IE and Windows Update. Maybe you can give it a try
> and report back.
>


Not disputing something happening with an extension I don't use but it
doesn't seem likely that a third-party "program" can find "official"
updates for an obsolete operating system. Are these from Microsoft?
Are they "official" updates? I'm skeptical but willing to be convinced.
And very curious.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2007
SteveG wrote:
> Old Enough wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:58:21 -0700, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Barry Karas wrote:
>>>> 14-Jul-07
>>>>
>>>> How do I update Windows XP Home with the Mozilla Firefox browser? (I
>>>> suppose I could use Automatic Updates, but I don't like anything
>>>> automatically added to my computer. I want to pick and choose - I do
>>>> not want the files that the people at Microsoft feel that I need/want.)
>>>>
>>>> Thank you,
>>>>
>>>> Barry Karas
>>>>
>>> you can try the following extensions:
>>>
>>> IETab: http://ietab.mozdev.org/
>>>
>>> or windizupdate: http://windizupdate.com/

>>
>> Very helpful information!
>>
>> Question: If I turn the Windows Automatic Update OFF, will the windiz
>> plug-in notify me of new and aditional updates?
>>
>> _________________________________
>> Old Enough
>> to know I don't know a thing ....

>
> The Windizupdate doesn't notify you automatically, like WAU does. You
> have to ask it if there are any and then you get to choose which you
> want to install.
>
> Personally, I use Ed's method: have WAU check for updates and tell you
> when they are ready but select which ones I want to download and
> install, rather than have it all done automatically. If nothing else,
> this prevents XP from repeatedly telling you that your computer is at
> risk because WAU is turned off.
>
> HTH
>


I remain highly skeptical that a third-party "program" can find
"official" updates for an unsupported (obsolete) OS that the official
updater can't (or won't) find. Think about it: MS discontinues support
for a product, it's own systems can't find updates but a third-party
utility /can/ find "official" updates? Hey, I'm always surprised by
life but this sounds too good to be true, kinda like a perpetual motion
machine.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 & Mozilla Firefox update disasters - PLEASE HELP! Lee Computer Information 8 11-26-2012 01:00 PM
Update On The Windows Phone 7 Update Update Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 2 02-25-2011 08:03 AM
Mozilla is better than firefox. Hail to Mozilla. Death to firefox. Radium Firefox 29 03-27-2007 02:51 AM
Removed Mozilla from computer, downloaded Firefox. It has the Mozilla prefs in it. How? JW Computer Support 2 04-14-2006 07:12 PM
Problem with Mozilla on Windows XP: multiple browser windows David Arnstein Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 07:43 PM



Advertisments