Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > upgrading before installing Windows XP Professional x64?

upgrading before installing Windows XP Professional x64?

=?Utf-8?B?c21hdGhld3M=?=

From Charlie Russel's article "Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition":

"If you're running Windows XP Home Edition and have x64 hardware, you can
move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition when it's available. But you'll
need to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional
Edition first."

My question is why do you need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional Edition
before you install the 64 bit one? I thought all Windows XP Professional x64
installations were clean installs, making the previous os irrelevant (?).

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Any

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's old information, I'm afraid. Written during the period when there was
a free exchange for XP x64 from XP Professional (32-bit). That offer is long
gone, so the information is no longer relevant. You need to buy a new copy
of XP x64, and you need to do a clean, fresh install.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"smathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From Charlie Russel's article "Exploring Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition":
>
> "If you're running Windows XP Home Edition and have x64 hardware, you can
> move to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition when it's available. But
> you'll
> need to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional
> Edition first."
>
> My question is why do you need to upgrade to Windows XP Professional
> Edition
> before you install the 64 bit one? I thought all Windows XP Professional
> x64
> installations were clean installs, making the previous os irrelevant (?).
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.
>

> Any

=?Utf-8?B?c21hdGhld3M=?=

Ok, thanks for the clarification.