Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64 bit or Windows XP x64 edition ?

Vista 64 bit or Windows XP x64 edition ?

=?Utf-8?B?bWl0Y2g=?=

Let me begin by saying that reading this thread has been very entertaining,
and I think Denise may be my ex-wife.

While I am by no means an expert, I have enjoyed building my own systems
since the days of Windows 1.1 when I proclaimed, “What a piece of garbage,
why would I buy stock in that company?”

One hundred eighty-one days ago I built this system which hums quietly in
its Antec Sonata II case:
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo
Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1

I have been running these programs, and several others, with absolutely no
problem:
Acrobat 7
Photoshop CS3
Adobe Premiere
MS Office 2003
Avast!
Firefox
Safari for Windows
Quicken

XP Pro x64 has proven to be fast, stable and reliable. Last night I
installed a purchased OEM version to replace the trial version. My only
complaint is that MS could have made the adoption process easier, but then
again it might have been easier if I had upgraded before the trial expired.

=?Utf-8?B?aGFtYW4=?=

I have acer cop caming with vista . Iwanet do format and instll win xp .but
sad canot instlled win xp
how can do it .thinks
haman

Theo

Can you clarify what "acer cop caming" is, or means?

haman wrote:
> I have acer cop caming with vista . Iwanet do format and instll win xp .but
> sad canot instlled win xp
> how can do it .thinks
> haman

Pattypp

I agree! I loaded XP Pro X64, and ran it for maybe half a day before i
scrapped the whole thing, and went back to XP32. I read everyone elses post
here, and please don't think i'm some sort of rockie here. I have been
operating computers since the days of connecting to the internet was done
with placing my phone in a cup LOL. I have had every OS there was in the
past, and the pro64 is by far the worst i have ever used. With vista falling
in second place of the worst.

I have Xp pro 32 now, and one of the best OS so far. I'm not here to promote
anything, i'm here to say Denise is right, the 64 is slow, and clumbersom.
iexplore was a joke in 64, and coping files was boring to say the least. I
was happy to be rid of the pro64, and it only took me half a day to realize
it was scrap.

I had to wonder why anyone would brag about having a OS that they had to run
out and buy a bunch of hardware to make it work right. Seems sort of silly to
me. Plus have to make setting everyday, even more silly.

Vista for the price is one of Microsofts biggest rip offs. And in my opinion
they should be ashamed for ripping off people. Denise if you are still
thinking about vista please keep your XP. It doesn't matter to me what anyone
says, i know xp64 is junk, and vista is right behind it. Just a small point
proven about vista, if you load vista have fun setting up a router office or
home network LOL. Denise take care, and stick to what works for you. Patty...
"Denise" wrote:

> I'm considering reformatting my hard drive to get rid of XP Pro X64 and going
> back to a 32-bit system. Too many programs aren't compatible with X64.
> iexplore 64-bit is installed but Microsoft makes iexplore 32-bit the default
> because 64-bit doesn't work. Moving and copying files is very slow and, when
> I Googled this problem, it seems a number of people have the same problem.
> To me, it looks like X64 was introduced to the market in order to recoup the
> research money put into it but with full knowledge that it has a lot of kinks
> that need to be worked out.
>
> I don't know anything about Vista, but I'm going to wait a few years in
> order to see what Microsoft does with it, or if Microsoft moves on to
> something else.
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

Colin Barnhorst

"Pattypp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> default
>> because 64-bit doesn't work. Moving and copying files is very slow and,
>> when
>> I Googled this problem, it seems a number of people have the same
>> problem.
>> To me, it looks like X64 was introduced to the market in order to recoup
>> the
>> research money put into it but with full knowledge that it has a lot of
>> kinks
>> that need to be worked out.
>>
>> I don't know anything about Vista, but I'm going to wait a few years in
>> order to see what Microsoft does with it, or if Microsoft moves on to
>> something else.
>> --
>> Denise
>>
>> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

XP Pro x64 was far and away the fastest and most responsive Windows I ever
used so I'm not sure why it was slow for you unless perhaps the mobo drivers
weren't right or you had unintentionally obtained mismatched ram add ons (it
is easy to get the latencies wrong). I only had trouble in finding drivers
the first year but I never had issues with software not running right. As
with any new OS there were issues getting AV and content creation software
for 64bits the first few months.

XP Pro x64 was introduced as a workstation OS for users who needed more
memory than 32bits can support. It was never an upgrade or improvement for
anything. It was an alternative OS for users needing power for content
creation, CAD, and such.

XP Pro x64 never was a retail offering. It was intended to be preinstalled
on a new computer so that the system builder would supply all 64bit devices
and drivers. It has never been a consumer offering.

Graystar

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> used so I'm not sure why it was slow for you unless perhaps the mobo
> drivers weren't right or you had unintentionally obtained mismatched ram
> add ons (it is easy to get the latencies wrong). I only had trouble in
> finding drivers the first year but I never had issues with software not
> running right. As with any new OS there were issues getting AV and
> content creation software for 64bits the first few months.
>
> XP Pro x64 was introduced as a workstation OS for users who needed more
> memory than 32bits can support. It was never an upgrade or improvement
> for anything. It was an alternative OS for users needing power for
> content creation, CAD, and such.
>
> XP Pro x64 never was a retail offering. It was intended to be
> preinstalled on a new computer so that the system builder would supply all
> 64bit devices and drivers. It has never been a consumer offering.

Good thing too. Fewer effective attacks that way.
I Luv it.
I've been running an ASUS A8Vdeluxe with an AMD 64x 3K+ and an AIW 9600.
Admittedly I am a power user but I don't run many games <I run D3 & a few
others but that's about it>
XP64 pro x64 is running with a mirror drive and it's been the most stable OS
I've run from MS.
Recovers nicely and aside from frequent ATI <goofy & flawed> updates, the OS
has performed flawlessly.

It does have a learning curve, however.
Ya gotta get the right drivers and know when to diag correctly when
something goes wrong.
Most of the time some update occurs and requires updating something else. A
cascade.
So then Java, or video drivers, or one of MS's web support updates for
browsing, or <the most ignored> Bios updates, or a bad MB battery etc etc.
If someone ever comes out with a new game like D3, I'm there. Otherwise I
think most of the new games suck.
I like AI and think it should be developed more. I'm not thrilled at all
with groupthink & online gaming. It has it's place, it just isn't my pref.
So anyone who doesn't like there x64, sell it to someone out there who wants
a stable system, or dig in and learn.
It's too good to throw out, imo.
YMMV depending on what you run.

Josh

This topic was by far the most entertaining topic I've ever read online.
Everyone but this "Denise" character seems to know what they're talking
about. I'm replying almost 10 months after the last post, and 64bit vista is
now retail. 64bit vista is a hell of a lot more compatible than 64bit vista
ever dreamt of. There has only been one program I've found that I can't use
in 64bit vista. Thank you Denise for giving me enough material to waste 2
hours of my work day!

"mitch" wrote:

> Let me begin by saying that reading this thread has been very entertaining,
> and I think Denise may be my ex-wife.
>
> While I am by no means an expert, I have enjoyed building my own systems
> since the days of Windows 1.1 when I proclaimed, “What a piece of garbage,
> why would I buy stock in that company?”
>
> One hundred eighty-one days ago I built this system which hums quietly in
> its Antec Sonata II case:
> ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo
> Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2
> 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 675
> EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB
> Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1
>
> I have been running these programs, and several others, with absolutely no
> problem:
> Acrobat 7
> Photoshop CS3
> Adobe Premiere
> MS Office 2003
> Avast!
> Firefox
> Safari for Windows
> Quicken
>
> XP Pro x64 has proven to be fast, stable and reliable. Last night I
> installed a purchased OEM version to replace the trial version. My only
> complaint is that MS could have made the adoption process easier, but then
> again it might have been easier if I had upgraded before the trial expired.

Puteh

Wow what a relief after reading all the replies in this thread. Anyway allow
me to into myself...It has been almost two years of using this rig...just a
silly AMD Sempron 64-Bit...blah..2...only managed to realized that it was a
64-Bit enabed proc.

So in high anxiety I decided to format it with XP Pro x64 and have done
that...I mean reformatting it for over 4 times for the past two weeks with
the same OS...crazy rite ?

Anyway after a lot googling around I managed to find the right sofware and
drivers searching for the very latest ones to date...I find that so far the
OS is stable and more respnsive than the previous OS XP-Pro SP2 +
AutoPatched...

To date all drivers have been installed and managed to get all the
neccessary softwares and applications required for just gaming, daily work &
internet surfing etc.

I probaly might stick to it until Vista 64-Bit is stable enough for the next
one year or so.....

By the way I am also shocked to find out too that my JetWay mobo can support
up to 8GB.....I dunno whether this is a bug or what coz I have checked via
SandraSoft..it really support up to 8GB...I wonder whether in the world 4GB
DDR1 sticks exists as I have only two slots on-board....

Bobby Johnson

You may want to forget about 4GB sticks unless you're going
to do some heavy computing. Pricewatch has 4GB ECC
Registered sticks for $190.00 each which are really intended
for servers.

Otherwise 2 x 2GB should be adequate for most applications.

Puteh wrote:
> Wow what a relief after reading all the replies in this thread. Anyway allow
> me to into myself...It has been almost two years of using this rig...just a
> silly AMD Sempron 64-Bit...blah..2...only managed to realized that it was a
> 64-Bit enabled proc.
>
> So in high anxiety I decided to format it with XP Pro x64 and have done
> that...I mean reformatting it for over 4 times for the past two weeks with
> the same OS...crazy right ?
>
> Anyway after a lot googling around I managed to find the right software and
> drivers searching for the very latest ones to date...I find that so far the
> OS is stable and more responsive than the previous OS XP-Pro SP2 +
> auto patched...
>
> To date all drivers have been installed and managed to get all the
> necessary softwares and applications required for just gaming, daily work &
> internet surfing etc.
>
> I probably might stick to it until Vista 64-Bit is stable enough for the next
> one year or so.....
>
> By the way I am also shocked to find out too that my JetWay mobo can support
> up to 8GB.....I dunno whether this is a bug or what coz I have checked via
> SandraSoft..it really support up to 8GB...I wonder whether in the world 4GB
> DDR1 sticks exists as I have only two slots on-board....

elappala