Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64 bit or Windows XP x64 edition ?

Vista 64 bit or Windows XP x64 edition ?

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Well Royston, you now have varying opinions of X64. The self-proclaimed
computer gurus love it, probably because they know all the ins and outs of
computers and programs and can change the multitude of settings for desired
results without coming to forums for advice from their peers. On the other
hand, people who don't know the ins and outs of computers and operating
systems come here with all the problems they're having with X64, whether
Vista 64-bit or XP X64. In one of the threads in this forum, one man is
talking about starting a class action suit against Microsoft due to financial
losses because X64 didn't work properly. Time will tell whether or not
either X64 version is a gem in the making or a flop thrown out on the market
by Microsoft to recoup whatever losses it would have sustained if it didn't.
As for me, Windows XP Pro 2000, 32-bit, is heads above X64 and I know that I
will be going back to it. When or if Microsoft gets X64 straightened out
sometime in the future, I might try it again. But I wouldn't be surprised if
both versions turn out to be bombs that can't be fixed and another Windows
operating system is introduced to the market.
--
Denise

~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

"Royston H" wrote:

> My 120 days of eval are nearly up.
>
> I have found the XP 64 bit version of windows the most stable and reliable
> version of Windows I've ever used and have had only one BSOD when I was
> overclocking my graphics card, so not really a microsoft o/s issue.
>
> I mainly use the computer for office applications, photoshop, video editing
> and playing FSX.
>
> Given that I can get an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit for less than the OEM 64bit
> XP pro, I am likely to run with Vista.
>
> I'd like to hear from people who have used both in anger and see if any
> valid arguements exist for sticking with XP, say it's considerably more
> stable etc, given that long term the future is with vista anyway.
>
> Thanks
>
> Royston H

Tony Sperling

I knew, of course, that commenting on anybody's choice of purchase would be
stepping onto thin ice - it's just that being nice about it, will rarely be
helpful at all. We are faced with enough facts - the handling of which may
all be hurtful in the process, but I think I was being careful not to sound
insulting, I apparently lost it somewhere, and I'm not getting any kicks out
of it. Moreover, doing that wouldn't be helping anybody. Most of all,
critisism in this group is very rarely personal, but if you are used to
tip-toeing your way through life, you'll have trouble finding decency
anywhere.

What you list of your components, sounds O.K. to me, at a glance, but like
Dennis says,"every system is different". There is no way to tell - the
eternal 'usual suspects' are temperature, electrical frequencies (together
with resulting physical vibration), electrical contact (cabling) and the
BIOS. In a jungle of compatible BIOS's, there is hardly a single one that is
well built from every aspect, most seem to be well behaving since most
people don't push their systems in a way that triggers misbehavior, XP x64
is pushing the hardware considerably more than the 32bit editions and is
more likely to expose any weakness anywhere in your system. Without being
rude at all, I'm suggesting that you have been unlucky in the mix of
components that make up your system.

Since you rely on your machine for heavy duty jobs, dumping XP x64 for a
32bit system makes some sense - on the other hand you have invested a great
deal of time, money and effort to have it do it's job. Putting it onto a
different machine that is custom built for your needs would be a good way of
preserving a bit of this investment eeven if it is not the most economical
way out.

Having trouble with Acrobat and Avast? This is rediculous, you shouldn't
have to put up with this - considering the effort you have put into it all I
would instantly relegate this machine (whatever it's components) to running
a 32bit screensaver and get something else to do your job. The only insult
conveyed through this remark is that you didn't come to this conclusion much
sooner. You are way too patient!

I suggest you contact a system-builder. Don't buy anything over the counter
from someone who doesn't care if they sell tooth-paste or wall-to-wall
carpeting. Buy from someone who knows how to be frank, even if you think you
are faced with someone who sounds like a few of us here.

("The words of Mercury sounds harsh after the song of Apollo" - Sean
Connery, in some film.)

Tony. . .

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're very quick to insult and jab, aren't you? Rude, too.
>
> I have
>
> - Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo which supports dual channel ddr
> - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 512KB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Venice /
> Hyper-Transport / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor
> - 2 twin sticks of 1G RAM
> - Corsair 620W PSU
> - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB hard drive
>
> Which piece of hardware do you think is bad, or a combination?
>
> Are they the best of everything? More than likely not, but they're very
> good and run well together. If I decide to install Windows XP Pro 32-bit,
> I'm sure I'll find out that X64 has caused the problems that I have.
>
> BTW, are you employed by Microsoft to try to discredit anyone who speaks
> against its products? I can't think of any other reason for your poor
> attitude and manners.
>
> Regarding programs/files that aren't compatible with an 64-bit os, off the
> top of my head, I can think of . . .
>
> - Adobe Acrobat
> - Winword (Microsoft's very own!)
> - iexpolorer 64-bit (again, Microsoft's very own!)
> - Avast
> - Soundman
> - ctfmon (a Microsoft Office XP program that runs in the background, even
> after you quit all Office programs!)
> - Sun Microsystem's Java2 suite
> - Webshots
> - Maxtor One Touch
>
> Which programs in my pc are causing problems with my 64-bit os? Well,
> Microsoft didn't and/or won't say, but it's strange that some of them are
> Microsoft programs. The problems with my computer started as soon as I
> installed Windows XP Pro X64. Maybe that's the one that's clashing with
> everything else in my computer. The rest of them all get along fine.
>
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

going.

John Barnes

Windows X64 was the most stable hard working OS I have ever used. Even more
stable than Vista64. If you are using compatible hardware and software it
just works, period.

> [...]
>> other
>> conflict I don't have an answer. I've been running XP x64 since the beta
>> releases and Vista X64 since beta 2, I haven't had near the problems or
>> conflicts that you have. XP x64 has been very stable for me and Vista x64
>> has been stable so far even with weak drivers. At work the group that I
>> work
>> with has about 200 computers that are the same, almost every system
>> responds
>> differently. These differences are more distinct since we migrated from
>> Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Have a great day.
>>
>> --
>> Dennis Pack
>> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
>> Office Professional Plus 2007
>>
>> "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > You're very quick to insult and jab, aren't you? Rude, too.
>> >
>> > I have
>> >
>> > - Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo which supports dual channel ddr
>> > - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz / 512KB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / Venice /
>> > Hyper-Transport / OEM / Socket 939 / Processor
>> > - 2 twin sticks of 1G RAM
>> > - Corsair 620W PSU
>> > - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB hard drive
>> >
>> > Which piece of hardware do you think is bad, or a combination?
>> >
>> > Are they the best of everything? More than likely not, but they're
>> > very
>> > good and run well together. If I decide to install Windows XP Pro
>> > 32-bit,
>> > I'm sure I'll find out that X64 has caused the problems that I have.
>> >
>> > BTW, are you employed by Microsoft to try to discredit anyone who
>> > speaks
>> > against its products? I can't think of any other reason for your poor
>> > attitude and manners.
>> >
>> > Regarding programs/files that aren't compatible with an 64-bit os, off
>> > the
>> > top of my head, I can think of . . .
>> >
>> > - Adobe Acrobat
>> > - Winword (Microsoft's very own!)
>> > - iexpolorer 64-bit (again, Microsoft's very own!)
>> > - Avast
>> > - Soundman
>> > - ctfmon (a Microsoft Office XP program that runs in the background,
>> > even
>> > after you quit all Office programs!)
>> > - Sun Microsystem's Java2 suite
>> > - Webshots
>> > - Maxtor One Touch
>> >
>> > Which programs in my pc are causing problems with my 64-bit os? Well,
>> > Microsoft didn't and/or won't say, but it's strange that some of them
>> > are
>> > Microsoft programs. The problems with my computer started as soon as I
>> > installed Windows XP Pro X64. Maybe that's the one that's clashing
>> > with
>> > everything else in my computer. The rest of them all get along fine.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Denise
>> >
>> > ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're

S.SubZero

I run XP64 on my gaming rig and it runs perfectly. Not much in the
way of 64-bit games, but Unreal Tournament 2004 64-bit Edition runs
fine. All the 32-bit games I have tried so far work and work well.

I run Vista 64 on my laptop and it runs perfectly too. The resources
it uses are a little annoying, especially the 15GB+ of hard disk
space. For my little 100GB laptop drive this is quite a bit. I have
been debating re-doing my laptop with XP64 also, but I want to get
very used to using Vista and learn some of it's inner workings. I'm
using it mainly for resume fodder.

John Barnes

I had performance problems with Vista64 until I upgraded my system from a
3500+ processor to a 5200+ x2. I still have to set the affinity for many
processes manually to get a really smooth running machine, very annoying,
but only have to do it once a day. I have it on a 72 gig partition with 25
still free.

"S.SubZero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>I run XP64 on my gaming rig and it runs perfectly. Not much in the
> way of 64-bit games, but Unreal Tournament 2004 64-bit Edition runs
> fine. All the 32-bit games I have tried so far work and work well.
>
> I run Vista 64 on my laptop and it runs perfectly too. The resources
> it uses are a little annoying, especially the 15GB+ of hard disk
> space. For my little 100GB laptop drive this is quite a bit. I have
> been debating re-doing my laptop with XP64 also, but I want to get
> very used to using Vista and learn some of it's inner workings. I'm
> using it mainly for resume fodder.

=?Utf-8?B?Um95c3RvbiBI?=

It's a pity that my 120 days is likely to be before the SP1 for Vista comes
out, temptation is to revert to 32 bit for a while then go Vista 64 bit when
the wider community gives the thumbs up to SP1.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The reality is that XP x64 is solid, stable, and basically done with. Though
> you'll certainly see at least one more service pack for it, I suspect. Vista
> 64bit is new, requires more resources, and has a whole new set of
> compatibility issues. The interface will certainly drive you nuts initially.
> All that being said, I run Vista 64bit. I have the hardware to handle it,
> and I've learned to adjust to not whinge too much about some of the UI
> idiocies. Moving forward, drivers for new hardware will be preferentially
> for Vista, and tending to abandon XP. But there's no real hurry - it's up to
> you and your comfort level.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Royston H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My 120 days of eval are nearly up.
> >
> > I have found the XP 64 bit version of windows the most stable and reliable
> > version of Windows I've ever used and have had only one BSOD when I was
> > overclocking my graphics card, so not really a microsoft o/s issue.
> >
> > I mainly use the computer for office applications, photoshop, video
> > editing
> > and playing FSX.
> >
> > Given that I can get an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit for less than the OEM
> > 64bit
> > XP pro, I am likely to run with Vista.
> >
> > I'd like to hear from people who have used both in anger and see if any
> > valid arguements exist for sticking with XP, say it's considerably more
> > stable etc, given that long term the future is with vista anyway.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Royston H

=?Utf-8?B?Um95c3RvbiBI?=

I certainly have Denise. My involvement in computing dates back to Windows
3.1, I used to enjoy tweaking and solving technical issues, however these
days I begrudge Microsoft or any vendor who wants to charge me, then waste my
time, when I could be pursuing my interests outside computing. I just want
the applications to work. Luckly for me the onces I have work fine with XP
64bit, FSX appears to work very well infact compared running it under 32 bit.

Your comments about SATA worry me, since my IDE drive is about to be swapped
out as it's crammed full.

I have more or less decided to revert to 32 bit XP, wait till Vista has at
least SP1, see how that's received by the market, then revisit 64 bit
computing.

"Denise" wrote:

> Well Royston, you now have varying opinions of X64. The self-proclaimed
> computer gurus love it, probably because they know all the ins and outs of
> computers and programs and can change the multitude of settings for desired
> results without coming to forums for advice from their peers. On the other
> hand, people who don't know the ins and outs of computers and operating
> systems come here with all the problems they're having with X64, whether
> Vista 64-bit or XP X64. In one of the threads in this forum, one man is
> talking about starting a class action suit against Microsoft due to financial
> losses because X64 didn't work properly. Time will tell whether or not
> either X64 version is a gem in the making or a flop thrown out on the market
> by Microsoft to recoup whatever losses it would have sustained if it didn't.
> As for me, Windows XP Pro 2000, 32-bit, is heads above X64 and I know that I
> will be going back to it. When or if Microsoft gets X64 straightened out
> sometime in the future, I might try it again. But I wouldn't be surprised if
> both versions turn out to be bombs that can't be fixed and another Windows
> operating system is introduced to the market.
> --
> Denise
>
> ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.
>

> "Royston H" wrote:
>
> > My 120 days of eval are nearly up.
> >
> > I have found the XP 64 bit version of windows the most stable and reliable
> > version of Windows I've ever used and have had only one BSOD when I was
> > overclocking my graphics card, so not really a microsoft o/s issue.
> >
> > I mainly use the computer for office applications, photoshop, video editing
> > and playing FSX.
> >
> > Given that I can get an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit for less than the OEM 64bit
> > XP pro, I am likely to run with Vista.
> >
> > I'd like to hear from people who have used both in anger and see if any
> > valid arguements exist for sticking with XP, say it's considerably more
> > stable etc, given that long term the future is with vista anyway.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Royston H

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2wgU3RlZWxl?=

Hi Royston,

I am using XP x64 on my home built system and it is rock steady. I have a
copy of Vista x64 sat on my shelf waiting for Gretag-Macbeth to release
drivers/updated software for my EyeOne Display 2 puck so that I can have a
properly profiled monitor to work with using Photoshop.

Having said that, I simply don't have the problems which Denise has outlined
in XP x64 and I use Acrobat (CS3 version), Winword, used to use Avast (until
AVG recently released their 64-bit compatible version of their software),
Sun's Java. I cannot comment on the other programs which she mentioned.

I'm also running 5 HD's which are all connected via SATA (2 x 74Gb Raptors
running as a RAID 0 Array) and 3 x 320Gb Seagate Barracudas running in SATA2
3Gb/s mode.

From what I can gather the BioStar motherboard in question is an older board
(from around 2 years ago) and there appear to be some updated drivers for Win
XP x64 on their web site -
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloa...RCE%206100-939

I wonder if you have downloaded and applied these??

"Royston H" wrote:

> My 120 days of eval are nearly up.
>
> I have found the XP 64 bit version of windows the most stable and reliable
> version of Windows I've ever used and have had only one BSOD when I was
> overclocking my graphics card, so not really a microsoft o/s issue.
>
> I mainly use the computer for office applications, photoshop, video editing
> and playing FSX.
>
> Given that I can get an OEM copy of Vista 64 bit for less than the OEM 64bit
> XP pro, I am likely to run with Vista.
>
> I'd like to hear from people who have used both in anger and see if any
> valid arguements exist for sticking with XP, say it's considerably more
> stable etc, given that long term the future is with vista anyway.
>
> Thanks
>
> Royston H

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Well, I listed my hardware and no one suggested that it was junk, and my
software is the type of software that most people have. Adobe Acrobat won't
work with X64 so I use FoxIt, but other than that, I have Micosoft Office,
email accounts, some picutre programs, such as MGI Photo Suite and Kodak
Picture Premium, Avast Anti-Virus, Nero 7.0, and other usual programs. If
X64 isn't compatible with my hardware or this type of software, it has a
problem, not my computer. I'm glad it's working for you though. Good luck!
--

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Windows X64 was the most stable hard working OS I have ever used. Even more
> stable than Vista64. If you are using compatible hardware and software it
> just works, period.
>
> "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > To say that the problems I have with X64 is like saying the Titanic had a
> > boating accident. I've been using Windows as soon as Windows 95 came out
> > and
> > X64 is by very, very far the worst version of them all. It was easier
> > working with the DOS Shell. Computers, as you said, respond differently,
> > and
> > this computer is begging me for the 32-bit system. I won't even get into
> > the
> > problems I've had with SATA. I eliminated all of my SATA connections and
> > everything is connected using USB 2.0 cables except for the hdd cable. I
> > think that the technological world is pushing too fast to come out with
> > something different because there's no profit to be made if people don't
> > have
> > a new product to buy. Why would Microsoft release X64 if iexplore X64
> > doesn't work and other Microsoft programs aren't compatible with X64? Why
> > didn't Microsoft make things such as these common knowledge so that people
> > would know that there are compatibility issues within Microsoft prior to
> > their buying X64? I very much believe that the public was hoodwinked and
> > I'm
> > very angry that I was taken, and there are no other words that I can think
> > of
> > that would fit what Microsoft did, or my language wouldn't be proper.
> > --
> > Denise
> >
> > ~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're
> > going.
> >

> > "Dennis Pack" wrote:
> >
> >> Denise:
> >> I've read the different problems you've had with XP x64, most of
> >> them haven't been common. As to whether it's a hardware, software or
> >> other
> >> conflict I don't have an answer. I've been running XP x64 since the beta
> >> releases and Vista X64 since beta 2, I haven't had near the problems or
> >> conflicts that you have. XP x64 has been very stable for me and Vista x64
> >> has been stable so far even with weak drivers. At work the group that I
> >> work
> >> with has about 200 computers that are the same, almost every system
> >> responds
> >> differently. These differences are more distinct since we migrated from
> >> Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Have a great day.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dennis Pack
> >> XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64
> >> Office Professional Plus 2007
> >>
> >> "Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Yeah, I'd say that X64 is good for fodder.