Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Update

Windows Update

Ragnar

I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears (following
the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool. Since this is
Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However there seems to be no
way to bypass this stage of the update process. You either install WGA or
quit the process.

The only reasons I can think of for this are
1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the only one
that appears.
2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded unless
WGA is first running.

(Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)

Anyone able to clarify matters?

nsag

According to the EULA you do not own your copy of XP you merely license it
from Microsoft.
Microsoft reserves the "right" to do anything it wants to do.
Microsoft now insists on repetitively installing the ever changing
validation tool with any and every update.
That's the way it is in Redmond.
The issue of license vs ownership and the validity of the EULA in general
has not been completely tested in court. However the prevailing sentiment
of most judges, who have all the qualifications of our glorious Supreme
Court judges/ambulance chasers, tends to favor the businesses that bought
and paid for their judgeships.
Hence you must obey Microsoft or you get no updates and go to bed hungry.

Steve

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
>whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears (following
>the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool. Since this is
>Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However there seems to be no
>way to bypass this stage of the update process. You either install WGA or
>quit the process.
>
>The only reasons I can think of for this are
>1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the only one
>that appears.
>2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded unless
>WGA is first running.
>
>(Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)
>
>Anyone able to clarify matters?

Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
bypass the WGA this way.

Ragnar

Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
>> whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears
>> (following the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool.
>> Since this is Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However
>> there seems to be no way to bypass this stage of the update process.
>> You either install WGA or quit the process.
>>
>> The only reasons I can think of for this are
>> 1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the
>> only one that appears.
>> 2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded
>> unless WGA is first running.
>>
>> (Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)
>>
>> Anyone able to clarify matters?

> Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
> do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
> install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
> want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
> bypass the WGA this way.

Thanks Steve. That worked.

Travis

On Jul 13, 2:37 pm, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Steve wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:31:44 GMT, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I haven't downloaded any Windows updates since April. The reason is,
> >> whenever I log on to the Update site the only update that appears
> >> (following the system check) is the Windows Genuine Advantage tool.
> >> Since this is Microsoft spyware I do not want to install it. However
> >> there seems to be no way to bypass this stage of the update process.
> >> You either install WGA or quit the process.

> >> The only reasons I can think of for this are
> >> 1 there have been no other updates since April, so WGA is the
> >> only one that appears.
> >> 2 Microsoft have now made sure that no updates can be downloaded
> >> unless WGA is first running.

> >> (Reason 1 seems unlikely, so knowing Microsoft I suspect Reason 2)

> >> Anyone able to clarify matters?

> > Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
> > do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
> > install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
> > want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
> > bypass the WGA this way.

> Thanks Steve. That worked.

Just install WGA, it's not spyware. You own a genuine copy of Windows
XP like I do so there aren't any problems, unless your using an
illegal serial number an don't want their systems to check it.

Boscoe

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jul 13, 2:37 pm, "Ragnar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Steve wrote:

>> > Turn on automatic updates and let Windows get the updates for you, but
>> > do not allow windows to install the updates. When you go to manually
>> > install the updates choose custom and install just the updates you
>> > want to. Then choose hide the updates you did not install. You can
>> > bypass the WGA this way.

>> Thanks Steve. That worked.

> Just install WGA, it's not spyware. You own a genuine copy of Windows
> XP like I do so there aren't any problems, unless your using an
> illegal serial number an don't want their systems to check it.

IMHO WGA is spyware and it checks every time you boot up, sending back
unspecified data to Microsoft. A few months ago a tool, called RemoveWGA
appeared on the Internet. This only deleted the Notification component, so
you could continue to download critical updates, but Microsoft took
exception and many of the sites carrying the utility were pressurised to
remove it. But 'removewga' is still out there and it is not illegal to
use.

Travis

You can remove it if you want, although I have to say that no, it
isn't spyware or anything. What is so private that you don't want send
to Microsoft? It's not like they are getting lists of sites you
visited or anything, unspecified is: Your Computer Model, or OEM, your
serial number(s), your OS version, updates installed and their
versions, Microsoft software you have installed, Microsoft associates
that have software on your system, your HD space, your RAM size, your
PAGE File size, partitions on your disk (and their sizes), The time,
your timezone, your date, the last time you've modified your control
panel, if you've uninstalled Microsoft software, the status of WGA's
installation (if it's partial), devices on your system, drivers you
have for devices, Microsoft drivers you have (and their versions), the
sizes of your system files that are some how related to serial
number(s), authorization or modification of your internet settings,
your HOSTS file, Microsoft office serial numbers (included above),
your office updates, WGA values in registry and other Microsoft anti-
piracy software values in registry, your username, computer
description, workgroup, IP address, and registration info (Maybe your
full name, but you don't have to enter a surname)

I don't think any of that is "private classified information", it's
part of your system. What NSAG said, you license your copy and they
can access your serials (from their products only) as they own them.
Sure, I bet a lot of that stuff up there is incompletely unnecessary
and irrelevant to piracy and activation but it's still not private.