Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Question

Question

=?Utf-8?B?SmVycnk=?=

Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down the
desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm just
concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..

Thanks

TheITGirl

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down
> the
> desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm
> just
> concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
>
> Thanks

Hi Jerry

My first thought was that you could try renaming the users' NTUSER.DAT files
to NTUSER.MAN so as to create mandatory profiles. That would prevent users
making any changes to their desktop though, not just renaming icons. Others
may have better suggestions.

HTH

IT Girl MCDST

Steve Ray

Jerry

We take that approach the all our users have the same licensed software on
the same. This allows us to centrally manage the desktops and therefore why
host the desktops on the PC's

We use desktop redirection to therefore deliver the desktops. We host the
desktop and start menu on a local server, that way the entire desktop
environment is readonly to them

There are probably more than other ways but we find this quick and useful

Steve

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down
> the
> desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm
> just
> concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
>
> Thanks

CBIC

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down
> the
> desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm
> just
> concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
>
> Thanks

Do you work in IT?

djpimpdaddy

On Jul 12, 4:54 pm, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anybody know of a setting or 3rd party software on how to lock down the
> desktop icons so that users can not rename any ICONS on the desktop. I'm just
> concerned about the renaming part. Please any advice would be great..
>
> Thanks

Here at my work we had a lot of trouble with similar issues. We have a
call center that people randomly sit anywhere there is a seat. All of
the important desktop icons are actually shortcuts that I place in
Documents and Settings/All Users/Desktop folder. The trick that I did
was place all of the shortcuts that they need but are to "un-
educated"(and I mean that in a polite way) to find by browsing the
network or All Programs list in there. All of the Call center users
are all in a CallCenter Active Directory group, and consequently are
in a local security group of Power Users. Then on the actual shortcut,
go into NTFS security and make sure that the Power Users are granted
Read Only to the Shortcut. That prohibits them from Deleting,
renaming, or modifying the icon or name. Just remember that shortcuts
are your friend. Hide everything else in the All Users/My Docs folder.

If this is unclear email directly me and I can explain further. When
our users here are bored, they try to destroy their machines so I know
how to counter about every evil trick possible. I have taken away
about every ounce of fun on the Call Center Pcs.