Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP, "operating system not found", MBR broken?

Windows XP, "operating system not found", MBR broken?

Alex

On 12 Jul., 17:43, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alex" wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > Hi there,
> > after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
> > Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
> > fixmbr c:
> > fixboot c:

> > Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
> > not found".
> > With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
> > access to all files on the HDD.
> > Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
> > assume they broke it!?

> So what is the contents of the boot.ini from the partition where is
> Windows that you are trying to start? And on which drive and in which
> partition is Windows?
>
> Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is not
> a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name to
> identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its 446-byte
> bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
> Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
> hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
> MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr' (no
> parameters).
>
> It is possible the wrong primary partition is marked as the "active"
> one. So the BIOS loads the MBR's bootstrap program which then tries to
> load the boot sector (first one) of the active-marked primary partition.
> Maybe the currently active-marked primary partition is not where you
> have Windows installed.

Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
happy again

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Alex wrote:
> On 12 Jul., 17:43, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"Alex" wrote in message
>>
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>

>>>Hi there,
>>>after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
>>>Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
>>>fixmbr c:
>>>fixboot c:

>>>Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating system
>>>not found".
>>>With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
>>>access to all files on the HDD.
>>>Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work. I
>>>assume they broke it!?

>>So what is the contents of the boot.ini from the partition where is
>>Windows that you are trying to start? And on which drive and in which
>>partition is Windows?
>>
>>Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is not
>>a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name to
>>identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its 446-byte
>>bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
>>Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
>>hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
>>MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr' (no
>>parameters).
>>
>>It is possible the wrong primary partition is marked as the "active"
>>one. So the BIOS loads the MBR's bootstrap program which then tries to
>>load the boot sector (first one) of the active-marked primary partition.
>>Maybe the currently active-marked primary partition is not where you
>>have Windows installed.

> Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
> XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
> will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
> works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
> happy again

I'm glad we could solve your problem.

Gordon

"Alex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
> XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
> will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
> works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
> happy again

That's great - next time just try the "fixmbr" command on its own - that's
always worked for me....

Vanguard

"Alex" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> "Vanguard" wrote:
>>
>> "Alex" wrote ...
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>> after deinstalling Linux I wanted to remove the bootloader GRUB.
>>> Hence, I started the XP repair console, and typed:
>>> fixmbr c:
>>> fixboot c:
>>>
>>> Now the system doesn't boot anymore. Error message: "Operating
>>> system
>>> not found".
>>> With a bootdisk it is possible to start Windows regularly and I have
>>> access to all files on the HDD.
>>> Is the MBR broken? How can I fix it? fixmbr and fixboot don't work.
>>> assume they broke it!?

>> Try running 'fixmbr' without any parameters. From its help, "C:" is
>> not
>> a valid device name. Instead you are supposed to use a device name
>> identify the boot device in which you intend to overwrite its
>> 446-byte
>> bootstrap area in sector 0 (the MBR), like \Device\HardDisk0. If
>> Windows is in a partiton on the first hard drive (the first physical
>> hard drive found by the system BIOS) then you only need to update the
>> MBR's bootstrap code on that first hard drive, so just run 'fixmbr'
>> (no
>> parameters).

> Thanks a lot guys. But the problem is solved. I wanted to install the
> XP repair (overwrite existing XP). Then the installer told me that he
> will delete user accounts etc. So I quit the installation. Suddenly it
> works. Seems like then the MBR was rewritten in a correct way... I am
> happy again

Just to summarize my prior post, the reason "fixmbr c:" is not valid is
that the MBR bootstrap is not inside any partition (which then gets a
drive letter). The MBR is sector 0 and that sector (with its track) is
not included in any partition. That's why you have to specify a device
identifier rather than a drive letter.

Even a lazy dog when kicked long enough will eventually get up and move.
Just don't be surprised when it bites you as a result. It's great your
"fix" worked but obviously the state of change is unknown; however, it
ain't broke no more, don't fix it.

MBR,C++ and system booting shahoo C++ 5 03-05-2006 12:22 PM
Where is MBR on RAID0 System? Tony Sperling Windows 64bit 9 10-25-2005 02:43 PM
Installing Windows on dual boot and how to check the MBR Mark Computer Support 0 09-08-2003 06:14 PM
Wiping hard drive fdisk/mbr? UnderDog Computer Support 7 08-25-2003 11:42 PM
MBR Woes James Thomas Computer Support 3 07-26-2003 12:10 AM

Advertisments