Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless card always needs repair

Wireless card always needs repair

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlaGJheiBBZnphbA==?=

My wireless Belkin USB Adapter used to work just fine. But then one day,
after a reboot it had '...limited connectivity'. So i right clicked the
wireless icon and hit Repair. It was fine after renewing the IP. But this
happens every time now after a reboot/cold boot it needs a Repair. I have
tried using updated drivers from Belkin but they don’t recognise the devise
at all.

Running Server 2003 SP2

Any ideas?

Many thanks

--
Shehbaz Afzal, MCP Windows XP

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

I would try to upgrade the firmware for the router and drive for the wireless adapter. Or these links may help,

Solved: Limited connectivity with ...Limited connectivity message, and won't connect to the network or the ... Networking, VPN, TS and Remote Access, Windows, Wireless, Security, Cisco ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=246

Troubleshooting limited or no connectivity"This connection has limited or no connectivity. " ... check this page, Sent packets only on a wireless computer and Limited or no connection ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...nnectivity.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Shehbaz Afzal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
My wireless Belkin USB Adapter used to work just fine. But then one day,
after a reboot it had '...limited connectivity'. So i right clicked the
wireless icon and hit Repair. It was fine after renewing the IP. But this
happens every time now after a reboot/cold boot it needs a Repair. I have
tried using updated drivers from Belkin but they don’t recognise the devise
at all.

Running Server 2003 SP2

Any ideas?

Many thanks

--
Shehbaz Afzal, MCP Windows XP

Axel Hammerschmidt

Shehbaz Afzal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My wireless Belkin USB Adapter used to work just fine. But then one day,
> after a reboot it had '...limited connectivity'. So i right clicked the
> wireless icon and hit Repair. It was fine after renewing the IP. But this
> happens every time now after a reboot/cold boot it needs a Repair. I have
> tried using updated drivers from Belkin but they don't recognise the devise
> at all.
>
> Running Server 2003 SP2
>
> Any ideas?

My experience with USB wireless adapters on Windows computers is that
they do not work correctly when left in during a (re-)boot. The USB
adapter only works correctly when it is plugged in (again) after the
boot process is completed.

I don't know why, maybe it's a usb-thing.

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlaGJheiBBZnphbA==?=

I did check for the firmware updates but there were none and the newer
drivers for the USB adapter do not recognise the adapter.

It used to work fine not so long ago; maybe an update has messed up the
harmony. It’s even intermittent now. Most irritating, I’m reluctant to
rebuild the server.

--

"Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote:

> Shehbaz Afzal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > My wireless Belkin USB Adapter used to work just fine. But then one day,
> > after a reboot it had '...limited connectivity'. So i right clicked the
> > wireless icon and hit Repair. It was fine after renewing the IP. But this
> > happens every time now after a reboot/cold boot it needs a Repair. I have
> > tried using updated drivers from Belkin but they don't recognise the devise
> > at all.
> >
> > Running Server 2003 SP2
> >
> > Any ideas?

> My experience with USB wireless adapters on Windows computers is that
> they do not work correctly when left in during a (re-)boot. The USB
> adapter only works correctly when it is plugged in (again) after the
> boot process is completed.
>
> I don't know why, maybe it's a usb-thing.

Pavel A.

"Shehbaz Afzal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I did check for the firmware updates but there were none and the newer
> drivers for the USB adapter do not recognise the adapter.
>
> It used to work fine not so long ago; maybe an update has messed up the
> harmony. It's even intermittent now. Most irritating, I'm reluctant to
> rebuild the server.

Do you mean the SP2 update?
Have you tried to remove the wireless adapter (from dev. manager, or using vendor's utility) and reinstall it ?

Regards,
--PA

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlaGJheiBBZnphbA==?=

Yes the Server 2003 SP2, but it was intermittent before that update, i'm
thinking it was probably an other update that has affected it.

I prefer not to use the vendor's utilities and stick with the Windows ones.