Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > back up wizard wants a BKF file?

back up wizard wants a BKF file?

johngood .............

I recently did a clean reinstall of xp and used the microsoft 'back up
utility' saved to an external hard drive.

when I copy the file back from the ext hard drive to my desk top it appears
as an icon of 19.5 GB which wont open.

So I went to the microsoft web search and it tells me its a file extension
BKF that i need to open it.

Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the original
files back to my pc.

Thanks for any advice.

mappy24

johngood ............. wrote:
> I recently did a clean reinstall of xp and used the microsoft 'back up
> utility' saved to an external hard drive.
>
> when I copy the file back from the ext hard drive to my desk top it appears
> as an icon of 19.5 GB which wont open.
>
> So I went to the microsoft web search and it tells me its a file extension
> BKF that i need to open it.
>
> Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the original
> files back to my pc.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Click Start > Run > ntbackup > OK

Follow the instructions in the restore wizard.

johngood .............

"mappy24" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4695da8f$0$13454$(E-Mail Removed)...
> johngood ............. wrote:
>> I recently did a clean reinstall of xp and used the microsoft 'back up
>> utility' saved to an external hard drive.
>>
>> when I copy the file back from the ext hard drive to my desk top it
>> appears as an icon of 19.5 GB which wont open.
>>
>> So I went to the microsoft web search and it tells me its a file
>> extension BKF that i need to open it.
>>
>> Being a novice I'm now 'stumped' as to what next to do to get the
>> original files back to my pc.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice.

> Click Start > Run > ntbackup > OK
>
> Follow the instructions in the restore wizard.

Thanks to all. Reinstalled Microsoft back up utility from the Windows CD.
The wizard that I copied on to the external hard drive I copied back to my
desk top after the clean install. The wizard icon on the desktop says its'
file size is 19.5 GB. But when I use the wizard to transfer it back to the
cleaned hardrive, I get this report:

Restore Status

Operation: Restore

Backup of "C: 397473", Restored to"C: 397473"
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "Set created 05/07/2007 at 09:23"

Restore started on 14/07/2007 at 16:32.
Warning: Unable to create "C:\_SharedHardlinkData_\18645780.30000.9276" -
skipped.
Reason: The system cannot find the path specified.

Restore completed on 14/07/2007 at 16:52.
Directories: 2940
Files: 0
Time: 19 minutes and 41 seconds

I dont understand what is going on. Grateful for any advice please.
Thanks

BKF Corrupt file ceejster ASP .Net 3 08-26-2011 11:34 AM
Choosing what wizard to display (or wizard steps) based on a dropDownList value Andy B ASP .Net 0 04-19-2008 11:36 AM
ASP.NET Wizard with Wizard Steps being User Controls bhakta.ram@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 09-21-2006 06:36 PM
WinXP Microsoft Photo Printing Wizard, and Scanner and Camera Wizard Orak Listalavostok Digital Photography 5 07-10-2004 07:15 PM

Advertisments