Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > computer reboots randomly in xp

computer reboots randomly in xp

jpgary@gmail.com

My computer has been rebooting randomly in xp. Happens in the middle
of working or during a virus scan or idle... for about 4 months now,
it is a custom built late last year. Most of the time it will state a
serious error when windows is done loading after the crash.

i feared it was the ram and had that shipped and replaced back in
April (had the RAM checked to work with the motherboard before
purchase), and then I replaced the power supply with the latest
(mentioned above). The previous was 400 watts a generic brand. I
thought it might be the heat and swapped the cpu fan, but temperatures
are under 40 C.

I am wondering if this could be a hard drive issue, having maybe a
conflict with an IDE drive and two SATAs. I have had the IDE for
quiet some time now and needed additional space so I bought an
additional SATA in March, crashing didn't start happening for at least
a month later.

intel core duo2 E6400
ATI SAPPHIRE X1600 PRO 256M
Corsair 2x1gb (2gb of ram that is at 6400)
gigabyte DS3
Ultra / X-Finity / 600-Watt / ATX
with 2 sata drives and an ide drive with an sata converter.

Plato

> My computer has been rebooting randomly in xp. Happens in the middle

It could simply be overheating. When was the last time you cleaned out
your cpu fan and/or fansink and/or case fans with "compressed air"

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/