Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Comcast e-Mail: Bogus ?

Comcast e-Mail: Bogus ?

Robert11

Hi,

Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
Request" or something like that.

Anyone know if this is for real ?

I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
B.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:57:41 -0400, "Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
>Request" or something like that.
>
>Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
>I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Let me look into my crystal ball...

My crystal ball says "Something like that".

Post what it says, and better yet, a copy of the e-mail.

I'm guessing it has a link for you to click, the link doesn't go to
comcast.net.

clot

Robert11 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
> Request" or something like that.
>
> Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
> I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Why? You know the answer.

> Thanks,
> B.

Mike Easter

Robert11 wrote:

> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
> Request" or something like that.

If you are letting spam into your Inbox, then you should be examining
each unknown or uncertain email by its headers as the first step in the
'dissection' process. If you gain experience with header examination,
you will have no need to open any unknown mail. It would be better if
the header and body were combed by a proper filter tagger such as
SpamPal SP prior to the time OE receives it. Then the SP filtertagger
would have labeled it as spam and OE would be able to keep it out of
your inbox in the first place.

And, even if a spam accidentally weren't tagged as spam, it would have
valuable information stamped into the headers by SP so that when you
looked at the headers you would be aided about what SP had found in the
headers and the body.

> Anyone know if this is for real ?

Asking people who aren't inspecting your mail's headers isn't the way to
find out what is wrong with the mail.

In OE, if you want to see the headers without opening or previewing the
mail, select the closed item and use alt-enter cntrl-tab. If you are a
mouser, use File or R click/ Properties.

--
Mike Easter

Vanguard

"Robert11" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
> Request" or something like that.
>
> Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
> I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Without an actual copy of the e-mail, and INCLUDING the headers, no one
here can know what you got that you didn't share with us.

So what did Comcast support say when you called them or used their
on-line tech chat?

If you want an analysis of the e-mail, post it to the alt.spam newsgroup
since they are more focused on spam analysis.

samuel

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification
> Update Request" or something like that.
>
> Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
> I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks,
> B.

did you look at headers

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi,
>
> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
> Request" or something like that.
>
> Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
> I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks,
> B.

Got it too.

Forwarded it to their abuse department and, in an automated reply, they
said that they only investigate abuse from inside their domain. (their
customers).
Oh, well.

The actual message text was a (url) graphic and for those who want to see
the headers...

--- START MESSAGE HEADER ---

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:11:49 +0200
Subject: Billing information update
From: Comcast Support <(E-Mail Removed)>
To: rnee <(E-Mail Removed)>

--=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======

<HTML><a
href=3D"http://www=2Ejapatrita-online=2Einfo/untori/ajnou/index=2Ehtm"><=
img src=3D"http://www=2Ejapatrita-online=2Einfo/ivzadija/randosi=2Ejpg"
width=
=3D"697" height=3D"398" alt=3D"--- Comcast-Customer Protection --- " border=
=3D"0"></a><br>
www=2Ecomcast=2Enet/wmy/=
my/ and click unsubscribe link=2E

--=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:=
44 PM

--=======AVGMAIL-4694F9600BC4=======--

--- END MESSAGE HEADER ---

whosbest54

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

>Hi,
>
>Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
>Request" or something like that.
>
>Anyone know if this is for real ?
>
>I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.

Based on what another poster sent along in this thread, this is
phishing message. Delete it, don't click on any links in it and don't
fill out any personal information if you do click on anything.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

whosbest54

says...

>"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
>> Request" or something like that.
>>
>> Anyone know if this is for real ?
>>
>> I doubt it, but thought I'd ask.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> B.
>>

>Got it too.
>
>Forwarded it to their abuse department and, in an automated reply, they
>said that they only investigate abuse from inside their domain. (their
>customers).
>Oh, well.
>
>The actual message text was a (url) graphic and for those who want to see
>the headers...

This is phishing message. Delete it, don't click on any links in it and
don't fill out any personal information if you do click on anything.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Plato

Robert11 wrote:

> Just got an e-mail supposedly from Comcast for a "Verification Update
> Request" or something like that.
>
> Anyone know if this is for real ?

Bogus email I'm 99% sure.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

NTP on a router picking up a bogus server John Caruso Cisco 5 11-26-2005 04:58 PM
bogus questions on PrepLogic Tina MCSD 3 10-11-2004 11:24 PM
Filtering bogus TCP packets David Cisco 5 06-03-2004 12:45 PM
Re: "Comcast Mail" <userdavid1072@comcast.net> david ramon Computer Support 1 10-22-2003 03:40 PM
This is such a bogus article George Hester ASP .Net 1 07-31-2003 12:37 PM

Advertisments