Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing a printer

Sharing a printer

=?Utf-8?B?TWNMcm4yMjc=?=

I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless PCI
card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know is how
to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from my
downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i try to
go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have set
uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection through
my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too so i
dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the lingo.

Tanya

Here is a good place to start
http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833
"McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
> ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless
> PCI
> card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know is
> how
> to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from my
> downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i try
> go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
> downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have
> set
> uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection
> through
> my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too so i
> dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the
> lingo.

=?Utf-8?B?TWNMcm4yMjc=?=

this actually didn't help but i tweaked the crap out of it and got it workin.
I had to go deep into the configure utility for norton firewall and manually
permit the inbound and outbound NetBios and a couple other things but only to
the computers of the IP addresses I specified. If anyone else is running
windows XP and Norton Firewall and can't get their file sharing to work then
let me know, I'll explain in depth what I did. Thanx

"Tanya" wrote:

> Here is a good place to start
> http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833
> "McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
> > ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless
> > PCI
> > card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know is
> > how
> > to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from my
> > downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i try
> > go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
> > downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have
> > set
> > uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection
> > through
> > my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too so i
> > dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the
> > lingo.

=?Utf-8?B?UmljaE1hcmlvbk9oaW8=?=

I have much the same problem and hope you can help. I have a main computer
with a Linksys WRT54GS router wired through the ethernet connection and a
laptop with a WPC54G wireless adapter. Both computers are running XPsp2. I
can share files perfectly both ways (i.e. laptop to main and main to laptop)
but I cannot access the internet (dialup connection) or share the printer
from the laptop. I did install the proper printer driver on the laptop. I
also am running the Norton Internet Security firewall. Any help you can send
along will be greatly appreciated. Also a novice here so general terms
greatly appreciated too!! LOL

"McLrn227" wrote:

> this actually didn't help but i tweaked the crap out of it and got it workin.
> I had to go deep into the configure utility for norton firewall and manually
> permit the inbound and outbound NetBios and a couple other things but only to
> the computers of the IP addresses I specified. If anyone else is running
> windows XP and Norton Firewall and can't get their file sharing to work then
> let me know, I'll explain in depth what I did. Thanx
>
> "Tanya" wrote:
>
> > Here is a good place to start
> > http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833
> > "McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
> > > ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless
> > > PCI
> > > card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know is
> > > how
> > > to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from my
> > > downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i try
> > > go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
> > > downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have
> > > set
> > > uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection
> > > through
> > > my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too so i
> > > dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the
> > > lingo.

Tanya

Firewalls can be a problem. Just thought you didn't have the network setup
correctly. Helps to mention what you have done. It is still a good place to
start so you can eliminate a few things.
"McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this actually didn't help but i tweaked the crap out of it and got it
> workin.
> I had to go deep into the configure utility for norton firewall and
> manually
> permit the inbound and outbound NetBios and a couple other things but only
> the computers of the IP addresses I specified. If anyone else is running
> windows XP and Norton Firewall and can't get their file sharing to work
> then
> let me know, I'll explain in depth what I did. Thanx
>
> "Tanya" wrote:
>
>> Here is a good place to start
>> http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833
>> "McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
>> > ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless
>> > PCI
>> > card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know
>> > is
>> > how
>> > to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from
>> > my
>> > downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i
>> > try
>> > go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
>> > downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have
>> > set
>> > uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection
>> > through
>> > my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too
>> > so i
>> > dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the
>> > lingo.

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhcmluZyBmaWxlcw==?=

I have exactly the same problem with you.

I have WRT54GS Wireless-G broadband router installed and I have a new laptop
sony vaio k series with norton anti virus. I don't know if this is the same
as norton firewall you're talking with.

Anyway, I was able to access the internet with my laptop but I can't see my
files in the desktop. When I view workgroup computers from my laptop, nothing
appears. If I view workgroup computers from my destop it will show the two
computers but can't access the laptop, because the network path was not found.

All I want to do is to be able to access files in both computers.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roel

"McLrn227" wrote:

> this actually didn't help but i tweaked the crap out of it and got it workin.
> I had to go deep into the configure utility for norton firewall and manually
> permit the inbound and outbound NetBios and a couple other things but only to
> the computers of the IP addresses I specified. If anyone else is running
> windows XP and Norton Firewall and can't get their file sharing to work then
> let me know, I'll explain in depth what I did. Thanx
>
> "Tanya" wrote:
>
> > Here is a good place to start
> > http://forums.practicallynetworked.c...=&threadid=833
> > "McLrn227" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >I have a computer upstairs hooked up to a Linksys router through a wired
> > > ethernet connection. And a computer downstairs with a Linksys wireless
> > > PCI
> > > card and am connected to the internet wirelessly. all i want to know is
> > > how
> > > to print to my printer upstairs hooked up to the upstairs computer from my
> > > downstairs somputer. for the life of me i cant figure it out. when i try
> > > go to the "home or small office network setup wizard" on the computer
> > > downstairs it only recognizes my network connection that i used to have
> > > set
> > > uyp to my ethernet port (as disabled) and wont detect the connection
> > > through
> > > my wireless PCI card. It be helpful if i could easly share files too so i
> > > dont have to burn 1,000 cds. thanx. p.s. i'm a novice, easy on the
> > > lingo.

Carey Holzman

www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

Carey