Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

What is the best way to track marketing campaigns (using IIS / asp.net 2.0)

ship

Microsoft IIS (latest)
asp.net 2.0

Hi

How can we track (numerous) separate marketing campaigns using IIS and
asp.net (2.0)?

(We are trying hard to AVOID having to set up a new directory for
every single marketing campaign...
so what is the best way to do create trackable URLs?)

So for example if we publish a marketing URL (in say a printed
newspaper) of

"www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

....then if the directory "/xyzabc" does not exist on our server, it
will generate a 404 error, right?

Now at present, the URL is then redirected to the page
"www.ourdomain.com/movetonewsite.aspx" , which then
redirects the user to the splash (i.e. welcome) page URL, which is:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?MovedTo=NewSite"

The problem is that SOMEHOW we need to get the "xyzabc" bit added to
the URL so that our
marketing people can track it.
i.e. ideally we would like it to be referred on to a URL such as:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"

or better:

"www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=xyzabc"

Is there some clever way of to stuffing the referrer into the URL that
the 404 error throws
so that our marketing system (WebAbacus from Foviance) can readily
track it?

- Can anyone help?
- What do other people do on other sites ?

Many thanks

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

John Timney \(MVP\)

have you looked into any of the URL rewriting options

http://pietschsoft.com/blog/post.aspx?postid=762

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

"ship" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Microsoft IIS (latest)
> asp.net 2.0
>

> Hi
>
> How can we track (numerous) separate marketing campaigns using IIS and
> asp.net (2.0)?
>
> (We are trying hard to AVOID having to set up a new directory for
> every single marketing campaign...
> so what is the best way to do create trackable URLs?)
>

> So for example if we publish a marketing URL (in say a printed
> newspaper) of
>
> "www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"
>
> ...then if the directory "/xyzabc" does not exist on our server, it
> will generate a 404 error, right?
>
> Now at present, the URL is then redirected to the page
> "www.ourdomain.com/movetonewsite.aspx" , which then
> redirects the user to the splash (i.e. welcome) page URL, which is:
>
> "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?MovedTo=NewSite"
>
> The problem is that SOMEHOW we need to get the "xyzabc" bit added to
> the URL so that our
> marketing people can track it.
> i.e. ideally we would like it to be referred on to a URL such as:
>
> "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
> MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=www.ourdomain.com/xyzabc"
>
> or better:
>
> "www.ourdomain.co.uk/splash-page.aspx?
> MovedTo=NewSite&referrer=xyzabc"
>

> Is there some clever way of to stuffing the referrer into the URL that
> the 404 error throws
> so that our marketing system (WebAbacus from Foviance) can readily
> track it?
>
> - Can anyone help?
> - What do other people do on other sites ?
>
> Many thanks
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Kristofer Gafvert

Hi,

ISAPI_Rewrite can do alot of things when it comes to the URL. I am almost
sure it can do what you are talking about in this post.

http://www.isapirewrite.com/

But...if there is a request for "/xyzabc", then it is logged in the IIS
log file, and by this you should be able to at least get the number of
requests this marketing campaign generated. But perhaps your tools gets
you more information (such as sales numbers generated from the campaign),
and therefore it is a must to rewrite the URL?

(I mean, why make it difficult if you have all the necessary information
alreadly).

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

insert track reference in mp3 track D@Z Computer Support 1 05-02-2008 03:32 PM
Old certification track vs new certification track. Barkley Hughes MCAD 5 11-12-2006 02:41 PM
Best marketing description I've read yet of a modern distro of Linux MaHogany NZ Computing 69 07-14-2006 07:05 AM
Best way to keep track of user-related info? [Opinions wanted] Edward J. Stembler ASP .Net Security 1 11-13-2003 07:41 PM

Advertisments