Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Found hundreds of photos: How to scan them to my PC

Found hundreds of photos: How to scan them to my PC

Kadin2048

In article <46949746$0$27249$(E-Mail Removed)>,
SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For negative scanning, I use Costco. They have a very high resolution
> negative scanner. I think they charged me 29 each. I thought of getting
> a negative scanner, but a good negative scanner is at least $500, and
> not as good quality

Although I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Costco if it
works out for you, the scanner they're probably using to do negatives
there is the imaging part of a Frontier minilab system; the quality from
this can vary *greatly* depending on the type of film, and the settings
chosen by the operator (which tends to be a direct function of how
experienced the operator is, and how much they care about your order and
the results).

I've had very poor results, for instance, with Frontier scans from B&W
film. They seem to do OK at my local place with modern color neg film,
but they seem to compress the dynamic range a lot.

To say that the Frontier is better than a $500 scanner is a bit of a
stretch; it depends a lot on what you're scanning and what you want to
get out of it. Properly used, a $500 film scanner with Digital ICE and
VueScan can beat the tar out of Frontier scans.

It's just a question of whether it's worth it.

> They may do print scanning as well, I'm not sure.
>
> Forget about feeding photos in an automatic feeder, you have to do it
> manually. Get a good photo scanner like the Epson 4990 (4800x9600 dpi)
> and be prepared for some horrendously large files.

There's no point in scanning a print at more than 300 dpi, IMO. Maybe
600 dpi if it's a real work of art and you want to archive every last
detail in it. But above that, you're just scanning the texture in the
paper and the projected grains in the film.

-Kadin.

Ron Hunter

<RJ> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 04:16:39 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Forget about feeding photos in an automatic feeder, you have to do it
>>> manually. Get a good photo scanner like the Epson 4990 (4800x9600 dpi)
>>> and be prepared for some horrendously large files.

>> Scanning a print at such high resolution is a waste of time and disk
>> space. See www.scantips.net for more information on scanning photos.

> I agree !
> When I started scanning old photo albums,
> I made some test CD's at different resolutions.
> I settled on a file size that showed up best on our TV set.
> ( about 100K bit jpg files )
>
> My ( EPSON ) scanner software allows multiple pics
> to be scanned at once....
> Load 6 or 8 photos, scan once, produce 8 jpg's )
>
> Scanning was a perfect pastime for nights
> when there's nothing on TV.
>

> <rj>

I find it rather tedious, and 'fiddly' to do over a few minutes. I am
not into repetitious and tedious operations.
The suggestion above will produce very poor results (I know, I have done
this), as the scanner is unable to adjust to each individual picture, or
at least MINE is. The result is that some pictures look fine, and
others virtually unviewable.