Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Found hundreds of photos: How to scan them to my PC

Found hundreds of photos: How to scan them to my PC

hantocbijwadj@yahoo.com

How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of 4x6 color
photos into a Windows PC?

My parents left us hundreds of 4x6 color photos of us when we were
kids, most have negatives in sleeves, but many don't have the
negatives handy.

What is the recommended way to scan them in?
I presume we need to buy a special scanner that can feed them quickly?
It seems that putting them on my flatbed scanner will take the rest of
my life so there must be a better faster way.

How much would the equipment cost?
What would we look for as basic equipment?
And, what special software or hardware is needed?

Thank you,
Hanna

SMS

> How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of 4x6 color
> photos into a Windows PC?
>
> My parents left us hundreds of 4x6 color photos of us when we were
> kids, most have negatives in sleeves, but many don't have the
> negatives handy.
>
> What is the recommended way to scan them in?
> I presume we need to buy a special scanner that can feed them quickly?
> It seems that putting them on my flatbed scanner will take the rest of
> my life so there must be a better faster way.
>
> How much would the equipment cost?
> What would we look for as basic equipment?
> And, what special software or hardware is needed?

For negative scanning, I use Costco. They have a very high resolution
negative scanner. I think they charged me 29¢ each. I thought of getting
a negative scanner, but a good negative scanner is at least $500, and
not as good quality

They may do print scanning as well, I'm not sure.

Forget about feeding photos in an automatic feeder, you have to do it
manually. Get a good photo scanner like the Epson 4990 (4800x9600 dpi)
and be prepared for some horrendously large files.

thomas.c.monego@hitchcock.org

On Jul 11, 3:50 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of 4x6 color
> photos into a Windows PC?
>
> My parents left us hundreds of 4x6 color photos of us when we were
> kids, most have negatives in sleeves, but many don't have the
> negatives handy.
>
> What is the recommended way to scan them in?
> I presume we need to buy a special scanner that can feed them quickly?
> It seems that putting them on my flatbed scanner will take the rest of
> my life so there must be a better faster way.
>
> How much would the equipment cost?
> What would we look for as basic equipment?
> And, what special software or hardware is needed?
>
> Thank you,
> Hanna

Edit the photos, surely not all are fantastic, keep only the fantastic
ones. If there are 25 pics of your sister you and the dog, keep 1, the
best one. This is the only way you will stay sane. Just went through
this with my parents, we dumped 95% of the photos but treasure the 5%
we kept.
If all you have is prints, any flatbed will do, you do get what you
pay for. If you have negatives and prints, look at the Epson, 4490,
4990, or the newer V700. The 4490 is a good lowish end scanner that
you should be able to find for under $200, the look at the 4990 or the
V700 is your parents had a good camera, about upper $300s for the 4990
or $550 for the V700. The V700 is a fast, very good scanner, competes
favorably with film scanners. Microtek, Canon and HP all have scanners
that are comparable, though I think Epson currently has the edge.
4x6 prints aren't very useful for anything but screen viewing and
other 4x6 prints, just scan them at 200ppi, file won't be that large.
Negatives can be scanned at1200ppi for screen viewing and up to
3200ppi for printing, this gives a 40mb file, so only do it if you
feel you are going to print 8x10 to 11x14, if all you want is 4x6s use
1800-2400ppi. If you have a lot of negatives get a scanner with
Digital Ice, takes away all but the worst dirt and scratches, it is
that sanity thing again.

Tom

James Silverton

(E-Mail Removed) wrote on Wed, 11 Jul 2007
05:17:43 -0700:

tcm> On Jul 11, 3:50 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
??>> How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of
??>> 4x6 color photos into a Windows PC?
??>>
??>>
??>> How much would the equipment cost?
??>> What would we look for as basic equipment?
??>> And, what special software or hardware is needed?
??>>
??>> Thank you,
??>> Hanna

tcm> Edit the photos, surely not all are fantastic, keep only
tcm> the fantastic ones. If there are 25 pics of your sister
tcm> you and the dog, keep 1, the best one. This is the only
tcm> way you will stay sane. Just went through this with my
tcm> parents, we dumped 95% of the photos but treasure the 5%
tcm> we kept. If all you have is prints, any flatbed will do,
tcm> you do get what you pay for. If you have negatives and
tcm> prints, look at the Epson, 4490, 4990, or the newer V700.
tcm> The 4490 is a good lowish end scanner that you should be
tcm> able to find for under $200, the look at the 4990 or the
tcm> V700 is your parents had a good camera, about upper $300s
tcm> for the 4990 or $550 for the V700. The V700 is a fast,
tcm> very good scanner, competes favorably with film scanners.
tcm> Microtek, Canon and HP all have scanners that are
<<Snipped>>>

For prints it would be less tedious, even after selection,to
have some form of automatic feeding but is there such a thing as
a flat-bed scanner with a document feeder that actually works
without jamming? I have tried a few in the past without much
luck. If color prints are old, almost certainly some editing
will be necessary but that can be done in small sessions. It is
remarkable how well Photoshop Elements can restore colors.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

hellman@stanford.edu

To add to what's been said: Scanning the negatives will produce much
better scans, particularly if the scanner has Digital ICE. I wouldn't
use a scanner or service without ICE. It fixes many scratches and
other blemishes that would otherwise be very time consuming or
annoying.

While I've only used a slide scanning service, there have been
numerous magazine and newspaper articles in the last six months on
services (and equipment they can buy) to do exactly what you want with
the prints -- because in most cases the prints are all that's
available. I don't have any of those articles handy, but expect a web
search would turn them up.

Good luck. I've been enjoying my father's old slides, some going back
over 60 years and in amazingly good shape -- but only after ICE!

Martin

gabby_girl_one@yahoo.com

On Jul 11, 4:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Good luck. I've been enjoying my father's old slides, some going back
> over 60 years and in amazingly good shape -- but only after ICE!

Does this ice method work on both slides (positives) and negatives?

Matt Ion

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of 4x6 color
> photos into a Windows PC?
>
> My parents left us hundreds of 4x6 color photos of us when we were
> kids, most have negatives in sleeves, but many don't have the
> negatives handy.
>
> What is the recommended way to scan them in?
> I presume we need to buy a special scanner that can feed them quickly?
> It seems that putting them on my flatbed scanner will take the rest of
> my life so there must be a better faster way.
>
> How much would the equipment cost?
> What would we look for as basic equipment?
> And, what special software or hardware is needed?

I have an old HP OfficeJet v40 all-in-one unit; the fax/scanner option
is via page feeder. I recently went through several hundred old photos,
mostly 4x6, a few 5x7 and 3.5x5, the odd APS panoramic, and even some
ancient B&W prints, vetted them down to a couple hundred "keepers", and
scanned them quite efficiently with the HP. Set for 300dpi scans,
scanned a dozen or so in a batch, the software created multipage TIFFs,
and IrfanView split the TIFFs out into individual JPEGs. Whole thing
was done in about three hours.

Fredrik Sandstrom

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> Does this ice method work on both slides (positives) and negatives?

Yes, but not with most black and white film.

--
Fredrik Sandström
(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

SMS wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> How would you recommend a regular person scan hundreds of 4x6 color
>> photos into a Windows PC?
>>
>> My parents left us hundreds of 4x6 color photos of us when we were
>> kids, most have negatives in sleeves, but many don't have the
>> negatives handy.
>>
>> What is the recommended way to scan them in?
>> I presume we need to buy a special scanner that can feed them quickly?
>> It seems that putting them on my flatbed scanner will take the rest of
>> my life so there must be a better faster way.
>>
>> How much would the equipment cost?
>> What would we look for as basic equipment?
>> And, what special software or hardware is needed?

> For negative scanning, I use Costco. They have a very high resolution
> negative scanner. I think they charged me 29¢ each. I thought of getting
> a negative scanner, but a good negative scanner is at least $500, and
> not as good quality
>
> They may do print scanning as well, I'm not sure.
>
> Forget about feeding photos in an automatic feeder, you have to do it
> manually. Get a good photo scanner like the Epson 4990 (4800x9600 dpi)
> and be prepared for some horrendously large files.

Scanning a print at such high resolution is a waste of time and disk
space. See www.scantips.net for more information on scanning photos.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 04:16:39 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Forget about feeding photos in an automatic feeder, you have to do it
>> manually. Get a good photo scanner like the Epson 4990 (4800x9600 dpi)
>> and be prepared for some horrendously large files.

>Scanning a print at such high resolution is a waste of time and disk
>space. See www.scantips.net for more information on scanning photos.

I agree !
When I started scanning old photo albums,
I made some test CD's at different resolutions.
I settled on a file size that showed up best on our TV set.
( about 100K bit jpg files )

My ( EPSON ) scanner software allows multiple pics
to be scanned at once....
Load 6 or 8 photos, scan once, produce 8 jpg's )

Scanning was a perfect pastime for nights
when there's nothing on TV.

<rj>