Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Audacity won't "hear" my browser

Audacity won't "hear" my browser

dan glenn

My hard disc crashed recently and I had to get a new disc and a new Windows
(win xp home, sp2). Before, I'm sure I remember using Audacity to make wav
recordings of songs played thru my browser (maxthon) (like a YouTube video,
for example).. But now this won't work. What am I doing wrong? Get no signal
no matter what channel I choose for source (WAVE, TAD-in, Auxiliary, ect). I
have an SB Live! sound card and I would bet YOUR life I could do this
before - what kind of settings within Audacity/Windows should make this
work? It records off of Winamp just fine by the way...

Much appreciate any help rendered,
dan

Your Best Friend

Correction: nothing 'hears' your browser, it 'hears' your audio drivers.
Reinstall your audio drivers.

--
Thanks,
Bryan K

dadiOH

dan glenn wrote:
> My hard disc crashed recently and I had to get a new disc and a new
> Windows (win xp home, sp2). Before, I'm sure I remember using
> Audacity to make wav recordings of songs played thru my browser
> (maxthon) (like a YouTube video, for example).. But now this won't
> work. What am I doing wrong? Get no signal no matter what channel I
> choose for source (WAVE, TAD-in, Auxiliary, ect). I have an SB
> Live! sound card and I would bet YOUR life I could do this before -
> what kind of settings within Audacity/Windows should make this
> work? It records off of Winamp just fine by the way...

1. Open Windows Volume Control
2. Options>Properties
3. Tick "Recording"
4. In the window showing volume controls, assure that you have ticked
"What U Hear"
5. OK
6. On the "Recording Control" applet, tick "What U Hear", un-tick all
others
7. Close Volume Control

That should do it. If not, set Audacity audio I/O preferences to your
sound card.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dan glenn

You mean reinstall my SB Live! sound card? Can I do that without original
system disks (I have none)...

-dan

"Your Best Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news8%ki.8004$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Correction: nothing 'hears' your browser, it 'hears' your audio drivers.
> Reinstall your audio drivers.
>
> dan glenn wrote:
>> My hard disc crashed recently and I had to get a new disc and a new
>> Windows (win xp home, sp2). Before, I'm sure I remember using Audacity to
>> make wav recordings of songs played thru my browser (maxthon) (like a
>> YouTube video, for example).. But now this won't work. What am I doing
>> wrong? Get no signal no matter what channel I choose for source (WAVE,
>> TAD-in, Auxiliary, ect). I have an SB Live! sound card and I would bet
>> YOUR life I could do this before - what kind of settings within
>> Audacity/Windows should make this work? It records off of Winamp just
>> fine by the way...
>>
>> Much appreciate any help rendered,
>> dan

> --
> Thanks,
> Bryan K
> BKWorks Products
> http://www.bkworksproducts.info / http://www.bkworksproducts.org
> (E-Mail Removed)
> To reply, remove .com

dadiOH

dan glenn wrote:
> You mean reinstall my SB Live! sound card? Can I do that without
> original system disks (I have none)...

I seriously doubt you need to reinstall anything but you don't need a
system disc to install sound drivers, you need the disc that came with
the sound card when you bought it. Barring that you can d/l drivers
from the manufacturer's website.; however, before even *thinking* of
doing that, do what I told you in my original reply.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dan glenn

I did do what you suggested in your original reply, dodiOH. - made no diff.
I checked out the Creative SB website and the version I have is "past its
service life" - they do have downloads but you have to be at a certain
version before they'll work. I tried to update so I'd be at that version
with a patch they provided but it said it couldn't even recognize any Sound
Blaster product installed at all, so wouldn't do anything. Can I try to just
install what I *think* is their latest driver?

-dan
"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> dan glenn wrote:
>> You mean reinstall my SB Live! sound card? Can I do that without
>> original system disks (I have none)...

> I seriously doubt you need to reinstall anything but you don't need a
> system disc to install sound drivers, you need the disc that came with
> the sound card when you bought it. Barring that you can d/l drivers
> from the manufacturer's website.; however, before even *thinking* of
> doing that, do what I told you in my original reply.
>
> --
>
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

dan glenn wrote:
> I did do what you suggested in your original reply, dodiOH. - made
> no diff. I checked out the Creative SB website and the version I
> have is "past its service life" - they do have downloads but you
> have to be at a certain version before they'll work. I tried to
> update so I'd be at that version with a patch they provided but it
> said it couldn't even recognize any Sound Blaster product installed
> at all, so wouldn't do anything. Can I try to just install what I
> *think* is their latest driver?

You said you could record what Winamp plays so there is nothing wrong
with your card/drivers. Look elsewhere (settings) for a solution to
your problem.

In Audacity, what sound channel shows in the drop down box?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dan glenn

Audacity doesn't seem to care what I've selected for the source, when trying
to record a YouTube video. I have "Wave", just as I have for recording
Winamp, which works. But get no sound with Youtube. I've tried them all.
None 'work'. I've selected my 'SB Live! card' for both playback and
recording under 'Edit, Preferences' in Audacity. Nor does any combination of
the two devices one can choose for either playback or recording seem to make
any difference (the other 'device' is 'Microsoft Sound Mapper'). Sorry to be
so much trouble. Can't think of any other 'settings' to try right now. Any
suggestions?

> dan glenn wrote:
>> I did do what you suggested in your original reply, dodiOH. - made
>> no diff. I checked out the Creative SB website and the version I
>> have is "past its service life" - they do have downloads but you
>> have to be at a certain version before they'll work. I tried to
>> update so I'd be at that version with a patch they provided but it
>> said it couldn't even recognize any Sound Blaster product installed
>> at all, so wouldn't do anything. Can I try to just install what I
>> *think* is their latest driver?

> You said you could record what Winamp plays so there is nothing wrong
> with your card/drivers. Look elsewhere (settings) for a solution to
> your problem.
>
> In Audacity, what sound channel shows in the drop down box?
>

> --
>
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

dan glenn wrote:
> Audacity doesn't seem to care what I've selected for the source,
> when trying to record a YouTube video. I have "Wave", just as I
> have for recording Winamp, which works. But get no sound with
> Youtube. I've tried them all. None 'work'. I've selected my 'SB
> Live! card' for both playback and recording under 'Edit,
> Preferences' in Audacity. Nor does any combination of the two
> devices one can choose for either playback or recording seem to
> make any difference (the other 'device' is 'Microsoft Sound
> Mapper'). Sorry to be so much trouble. Can't think of any other
> 'settings' to try right now. Any suggestions?

I have no problem recording sound from YouTube with Audacity set to
"What U Hear" as I suggested originally. If you can't, best thing I
can suggest is to run Creative's diagnostic program...should be in the
Creative/Soundblaster folder under Start>Programs.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dan glenn

OK - all fixed. I 'finally' suceeded in downloading the main drivers from
the Creative site and did a reinstall of the basic drivers. That worked - I
can now record YouTube as well as Winamp. Thanks for the help and patience.
I did run the diagnostics you mentiomed before I reinstalled and they failed
on several counts and suggested I reinstall...