Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I just took "the PLUNGE"

I just took "the PLUNGE"

sittingduck

Wereo_SUPREMO wrote:

>> Now dump OE.

> whoa!

Furthermore, get a newsreader that will do scoring. It's fun.

Mike Easter

Wereo_SUPREMO wrote:
> "sittingduck"
>> Wereo_SUPREME wrote:
>>
>>> dumped TeraNews and got a new "something."

>> Now dump OE.

> whoa!

I don't think I would keep using OE if there weren't OE QuoteFix, which
has its own problems. And/But I think there are significant problems
trying to use OEQF with XP SP2, which it looks like you are using -
since your OE v. is 6.00.2900.3138

If I were XP SP2, then I think I would use some other agent such as
Tbird, but that isn't a good choice if you do any binaries.

--
Mike Easter

Bucky Breeder

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Wereo_SUPREMO wrote:
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Cello!
>>>

>>> --
>>> Blinky RLU 297263
>>> Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

>> lol \
>>
>> thank you Blinky

> So did you get my point? What was it?

I'm *a-feared* you-all have opened-up a veritable Pandora's Box...

--

http://www.impeachribbon.com/

http://www.bettybowers.com/crackwhores.html

I like the crackwhores on Jerry Springer's show.

Like when they beat up their mammas for sleeping
with their husbands who's been a crack-pimp for years.

Wereo_SUPREEMO

"sittingduck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns996A101DB31BFduckrulestheuniverse@invalid. quakefour.net...
> Wereo_SUPREMO wrote:
>
>>> Now dump OE.

>> whoa!

> Furthermore, get a newsreader that will do scoring. It's fun.

\What's scoring?

sittingduck

Wereo_SUPREEMO wrote:

> \What's scoring?

Intro to Xnews' score file.

Xnews happily steals the scoring system concept from slrn. Basically, each
article is assigned a score from -9999 to 9999. By default, an article has
score 0 (no score, or neutral). Articles with score of -9999 or less are
killed (you'll never see them, unless you turn off hard kill, in which case
they show up with a red X icon). Articles with score of 9999 or more are
considered "important" and flagged with a yellow ! icon.

Xnews scores articles using rules you specify in the score file score.ini.
This file is a plain text file which you can edit with any text editor
(Notepad will do). Spaces, tabs, and blank lines are ignored except in
keywords and regular expressions. The score file consists of sections (like
ini files). Each section begins with a section header

[group-regular-expression]

that is, a regular expression surrounded by [ ] The header indicates which
groups this section applies to. For example,

[.]

indicates this section applies to all groups.

[^alt\.binaries]

indicates this section applies to all groups starting with 'alt.binaries'

[babylon|trek]

indicates this section applies to all groups containing the word 'babylon' or
'trek'.

If group-regular-expression is preceded with a tilde (~), then the meaning is
inverted. For example, [~babylon|trek] applies to all groups that do NOT
contain either 'babylon' or 'trek'

Within each group, you have one or more scoring rules. Each rule begins like
so:

Score: number

that is, the keyword 'Score', followed by ':', followed by one or more
spaces, then an integer from -9999 to 9999.

You define each rule by specifying one or more of these headers.and the
expression to match, like so

keyword: expression-to-match

where keyword is one of:

Message-ID, Subject, From, Xref, Lines, References

Here's an example:

[.]
Score: -9999
Subject: \$\$\$+

Score: 9999
From: luu.*tran

The two rules above apply to all groups. The first assigns a score of -9999
(i.e., kills) any article which has three or more consecutive $ in the
subject. The second marks as important any article whose author is yours
truly (ah, ego runs amok!).

If you precede keyword with a ~, then the meaning is inverted. so

Score: -1000
~Subject: mulder|sculley

subtract 1000 from the score any article that does NOT mention mulder or
sculley in the subject.

When the keyword is Lines, then the expression-to-match is an integer
specifying the minimum number of lines. For example,

[~binaries]
Score: -9999
~Subject: faq|rfd|rfc

kills any article appearing outside a binaries group with more than 1000
lines AND is not a FAQ, RFC, or RFD.

On the other hand

[binaries]
Score: -9999

kills any article in a binaries group with 50 or fewer lines.

By the way, I'm only indenting these lines to make it more readable; it makes
no difference otherwise. The only important thing is each of the lines above
must appear on a single line by itself. Also, you can add comments by
putting a percent sign (%) at the beginning of the line.

By default, each individual test must pass in order for the scoring rule to
apply, i.e., boolean AND is the default. If you want to use boolean OR
instead, add an extra : after the Score keyword. For example,

[^comp\.]
Score:: -9999
From: beavis
From: butthead

kills any article posted in a comp group which has more than 1000 lines, or
is crospposted to advocacy, or is from beavis or butthead.

Note that all keywords are case insensitive. So too are all regular
expressions, so you don't need to write [Ff][Oo][Oo], just foo will do. If
you want the expression-to-match to be case sensitive, then put an equal
sign instead of of a : after the keyword, e.g.

[.]
Score: -9999
~Subject= .*[a-z]

kills anything that does not contain at least one lower case letter in the
subject.

Sections and rules within each session are applied in the order that they
aappear in the score file. Each article starts out with a score of zero,
then for each rule that it passes, its score is incremented or decremented by
the rule's score value except when the rule's score value is -9999 or 9999,
in which case the program assigns that score and stops any further testing.
If you want to assign a single score other than 9999 or -9999, then put an
equal sign in front of the score value. For example

Score: =500
From: joey

means "if an article was posted by joey, then assign it a score of 500 and
don't bother looking at any other rule."

You can add an expiration date to each rule, after which time the rule will
no longer fires. The format is

Expires: date

The line, if present, must appear immediately after a Score: line. For
example

% this rule expires at the end of the millenium
% (okay, the year 1999 anyway

Score: 2000
Expires: 12/31/1999

The date format is locale-dependent. It's mm/dd/yyyy for those in the US and
dd/mm/yyyy for those in the UK and elsewhere.

If you have an empty section, then scoring for groups matching that section
will halt at that point. For example, if you want to apply some scores to
binaries group, but not discussion binaries group, you can do this

[binaries.*\.d$]
% this section is left intentionally empty. It prevents the scores below
from
% being applied to binaries groups ending in .d

[binaries]
Score: 2000

Xnews' score file format is very similar to slrn's, with (at least) these
differences: 1) regular expressions are case insensitive in Xnews; 2) slrn
treats section headers as wildcard expressions while xnews treats them as
full regular expressions; 3) Xnews does NOT allow scoring on any header other
than those mentioned, namely, Message-ID, From, Subject, XRef, Lines, and
References; and 4) as far as I know, slrn doesn't use the empty section as a
mean to stop evaluation.

You can read an intro to slrn score file at

http://kwaziwai.cc.columbia.edu/acis...score-txt.html

There's also a slrn score file FAQ at

http://kwaziwai.cc.columbia.edu/acis...efile-faq.html

You can incorporate ideas in the FAQ to make your own score file, taking into
account the differences stated above.

Luu Tran

Just took 70-272 today adminwannabe MCDST 21 05-12-2006 08:03 PM
Just Bought Digital Rebel - Took 1 Picture and It Died RacerRik Digital Photography 9 06-24-2004 08:04 PM
Just took exam, now what? Rick MCSD 0 04-04-2004 09:32 PM
Just took 70-271 - what to look for Pat DiPersia MCDST 3 01-26-2004 01:55 PM
Trying to track a test I took hkjanss Microsoft Certification 1 10-31-2003 04:28 AM

Advertisments