Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DI624 router and CD/RW drive

Reply
Thread Tools

DI624 router and CD/RW drive

 
 
Derek Czuy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007
Hello Helpdesk news group members:

I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable to
do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him to
access the internet?

It seems that his CD/RW drive is slower than normal. What can be done to
speed it up?

Yours truly,

Derek Czuy


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Vanguard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007
"Derek Czuy" wrote in message news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...
>
> I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router
> was working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now
> unable to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to
> allow him to access the internet?



Has he tried resetting the router?

What LEDs are on or flicker on the router? Is the link LED lit up on
the computer (often near where the cat5 cable plugs in)? When he yanks
the cat5 cable at the router and plugs it back in, does he see an LED go
out and then back on (some routers don't have a separate link LED but
reuse one of the front LEDs).

Power off the computer, router, and cable modem. Then power them up in
the reverse order. This ensures the upstream DHCP server is available
to assign an IP address to the device just powered.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ded
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-11-2007

"Derek Czuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...
> Hello Helpdesk news group members:
>
> I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
> working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
> to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him to
> access the internet?
>

Give us a clue as to why you suspect it is the router that is failing to
connect?


> It seems that his CD/RW drive is slower than normal. What can be done to
> speed it up?
>


Slower at doing what, burning disks? It is the disk that dictates at what
speed
it can be burned. You've supplied no info - exact details of problem?
software?
Brand of cd-rw, brand of disks? OS?


> Yours truly,
>
> Derek Czuy
>


You'll probably be another one who dosen't follow up.......


 
Reply With Quote
 
Derek Czuy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2007
Hello Helpdesk news group members:

Thank you for responding to my e-mail about my friends DI624 router problem.
He followed the instructions for resetting the router. He was able to access
the internet for a while. However, he is now unable to access the internet
unless he repeats the procedure for resetting the router.

I believe that he is unable to access the internet because his IP address is
dynamic and has changed. His router is unable to recognise his changed IP
address because the Obtain an IP address Automatically checkbox in the
properties of his Local area connection is unchecked. If so, where are the
Local Area connections located in Windows Vista so he can make this change
if necessary? I am asking this question because I use Windows XP. As you
know, there are differences in Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Can you suggest any other changes that have to be made so he can access the
internet permanently?

Note: My friend and I use the JAWS for Windows (JFW) screen reading program
as we are visually impaired. JAWS gives us audible access to Windows and
allows us to navigate around. Has anyone on this news group heard of JAWS?

I look forward to your answers to my questions.

Derek
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vanguard" <
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: DI624 router and CD/RW drive

> "Derek Czuy" wrote in message

news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...
>>
>> I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
>> working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
>> to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him
>> to access the internet?

>
>
> Has he tried resetting the router?
>
> What LEDs are on or flicker on the router? Is the link LED lit up on the
> computer (often near where the cat5 cable plugs in)? When he yanks the
> cat5 cable at the router and plugs it back in, does he see an LED go out
> and then back on (some routers don't have a separate link LED but reuse
> one of the front LEDs).
>
> Power off the computer, router, and cable modem. Then power them up in
> the reverse order. This ensures the upstream DHCP server is available to
> assign an IP address to the device just powered.



"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Derek Czuy" wrote in message news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...
>>
>> I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
>> working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
>> to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him
>> to access the internet?

>
>
> Has he tried resetting the router?
>
> What LEDs are on or flicker on the router? Is the link LED lit up on the
> computer (often near where the cat5 cable plugs in)? When he yanks the
> cat5 cable at the router and plugs it back in, does he see an LED go out
> and then back on (some routers don't have a separate link LED but reuse
> one of the front LEDs).
>
> Power off the computer, router, and cable modem. Then power them up in
> the reverse order. This ensures the upstream DHCP server is available to
> assign an IP address to the device just powered.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Vanguard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2007
"Derek Czuy" wrote in message news:I0zmi.40349$Io4.21787@edtnps89...
> Hello Helpdesk news group members:
>
> Thank you for responding to my e-mail about my friends DI624 router
> problem.
> He followed the instructions for resetting the router. He was able to
> access
> the internet for a while. However, he is now unable to access the
> internet
> unless he repeats the procedure for resetting the router.
>
> I believe that he is unable to access the internet because his IP
> address is
> dynamic and has changed. His router is unable to recognise his changed
> IP
> address because the Obtain an IP address Automatically checkbox in the
> properties of his Local area connection is unchecked. If so, where are
> the
> Local Area connections located in Windows Vista so he can make this
> change
> if necessary? I am asking this question because I use Windows XP. As
> you
> know, there are differences in Windows XP and Windows Vista.
>
> Can you suggest any other changes that have to be made so he can
> access the
> internet permanently?



Having to repeatedly reset the router means the problem isn't back in
the operating system. As mentioned, have the user power down the
computer, router, and cable modem and then power them back up in REVERSE
order. The DHCP server (upstream) has to be ready when the next
downstream devices wants to get an IP address.

How old is this router? On average, the D-Links last about 1.5 years
(enough to be out of warranty when they fry).

 
Reply With Quote
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2007
"Derek Czuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wbYki.24997$Io4.6173@edtnps89...
> Hello Helpdesk news group members:
>
> I have a friend who uses Windows Vista and a DI624 router. The router was
> working and he was able to access the internet. However, he is now unable
> to do this. What adjustments have to be made to his router to allow him to
> access the internet?
>
> It seems that his CD/RW drive is slower than normal. What can be done to
> speed it up?
>
> Yours truly,
>
> Derek Czuy
>


Check to be sure the router has the latest firmware updates.


--
I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system hi2u Computer Support 3 07-30-2007 08:45 PM
how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk shailesh Python 1 03-28-2007 12:57 PM
Setting up a router with 29 Global IPs, BUT can't ping router internal interface from server or server interface from router war_wheelan@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-14-2005 03:31 PM
D-Link DI624 range TW Wireless Networking 3 10-07-2005 03:58 AM
VoIP wired router behind a wireless router and AP Hachijo Wireless Networking 0 09-19-2004 10:58 AM



Advertisments