Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Maybe the Plain Look is Best

Maybe the Plain Look is Best

javawizard

I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

Nik Coughlin

javawizard wrote:
> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

Nothing wrong with being plain and simple. Couple of things you could do to
make it look a lot nicer without getting any more complex though:

Switch your font to sans-serif. It's just nicer to read on a computer
screen.

Your "Tell a friend about Odd Info" box, it's ugly. Lose the 3d beveled
effect, bring it into line with the simplicity of the rest of the page.

Bergamot

javawizard wrote:
> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

Nothing wrong with simple, but 4 things that could make it better are:
1. Get rid of the fixed width on the home page.
2. Think about grouping the TOC in categories rather than just listing
everything alphabetically.
3. Lose the bolded paragraph text on the inside pages. It does not make
it easier to read.
4. Use some CSS instead of the 1990's style coding. It will make
maintenance way easier in the future.

--
Berg

Bergamot

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> javawizard wrote:
>> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain

> Switch your font to sans-serif. It's just nicer to read on a computer
> screen.

Actually, he didn't set any particular font. You might want to change
your own browser default, which is apparently a serif.

--
Berg

andrew

On 2007-07-10, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

I am always a big fan of simple layout and well researched
information. In my opinion your page could benefit from acquiring a
style sheet and losing the Google ads.

All the best,

Andrew

--
Andrew's Corner
http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/mutt.html

freemont

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:

> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
`..`-> freemont <-`..

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 10 Jul 2007 21:07:45 GMT
javawizard scribed:

> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

I'd center the 2-columnish "lists"/text in the predominant right-hand box.
'Course, that would probably reduce the simplicity of the markup.

--
Neredbojias
A self-made man who worships his creator

Blinky the Shark

freemont wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:
>
>> I've switched the appearance of www.odd-info.com to a very plain
>> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
>> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

> You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
> the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you.

Holy crap!

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Travis Newbury

On Jul 10, 5:07 pm, javawizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've switched the appearance ofwww.odd-info.comto a very plain
> vanilla layout and color scheme. What do you think? Will I loose
> anything due to such simplicity? - Jeff

Probably not. Your site is a list of links.

But even with such a simple page you still have a ton or errors.

freemont

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 02:49:43 +0000, Blinky the Shark writ:

> freemont wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:07:45 -0700, javawizard writ:
>>
>>> <www.odd-info.com>

>> You might want to get rid of the fifteen hundred or so empty paragraphs at
>> the bottom that Frontpage so helpfully inserted for you.

> Holy crap!

Ok I exaggerated. There are *only* 137 of them. :-\