Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer Acting WACKY!

Computer Acting WACKY!

Drnick

Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
this again. any ideas on what else I can try?

It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
or firefox open.

any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

- Bobb -

Try Safe Mode ?
You say related to mouse movement - how about different mouse ? ( In
case internally issuing /left/right mouse clicks.)

"Drnick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
> problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
> RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
> windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
> start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
> even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
> keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
> switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
> for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
> was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
> was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
> this again. any ideas on what else I can try?
>
> It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
> nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
> or firefox open.
>
> any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
> the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
> pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

sandy58

On Jul 10, 8:52 pm, Drnick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
> problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
> RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
> windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
> start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
> even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
> keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
> switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
> for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
> was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
> was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
> this again. any ideas on what else I can try?
>
> It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
> nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
> or firefox open.
>
> any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
> the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
> pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

As Bob says. Mouse....or dickie m'board....if you are sure you don't
have a "lodger"???

Drnick

On Jul 11, 7:20 pm, sandy58 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:52 pm, Drnick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Theres this computer I've been working on and I can't figure out the
> > problem, the issue is with a windows XP pro SP2 computer, It will just
> > RANDOMLY freak out. any mouse movement you make will open or close a
> > windows, open and close the start menu, and sometimes program will
> > start or close if you were using them. It's a really hard problem to
> > even describe never mind diagnose. I originally thought it was the
> > keyboard, so I swapped those out, the problem kept happening, I then
> > switched form PS2 keyboard to USB. that didn't help either. I scanned
> > for viruses and spyware, that didn't help. so I thought the best way
> > was to format the whole machine and reinstall windows. the computer
> > was working fine for a few days and all of a sudden it starts doing
> > this again. any ideas on what else I can try?

> > It doesn't seem to matter what programs are open, a few times I'd have
> > nothing on the screen but a blank desktop, other times I'd have excel
> > or firefox open.

> > any idea on what to try? at this point I'm think its something with
> > the motherboard? but I'm just grasping at straws cause I've tried
> > pretty much everything else, did I miss something?

> As Bob says. Mouse....or dickie m'board....if you are sure you don't
> have a "lodger"???

a lodger? whats that?

I'm going to try a new mouse, but I'm 99.9999% sure its not that. (its
only a standard 2 button mouse, so I'm not sure how it could possibly
open and close programs, and the start menu just by moving it.)

I'm thinking a screwed up motherboard, and its a dell, so its not even
worth fixing. its a shame because 90% of the time, the computer works
perfectly.