Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How does your camera behave in hot weather?

How does your camera behave in hot weather?

Clark Martin

In article <4rNki.6270$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
Unclaimed Mysteries
<the_letter_k_and_the_numeral_4_doh@unclaimedmyste ries.net> wrote:

> 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

I have a K-M Z5. First time I used it in hot weather I got a surprise,
a thermometer ICON popped up in the EVF. It never got to the top mark
so I don't know what happens when it gets real hot. But after I saw it
I made sure I kept the camera cool, mostly by keeping it out of the sun
by shading it with my body.

This weekend it was hot enough for the thermometer to show up again.

> 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?

Only as above.

> 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

keep the case out of direct sunlight.

> 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
> cool as possible in use in the heat?

Keep the power dissipation as low as possible.

--
Clark Martin

DeanB

On Jul 10, 1:50 pm, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Unclaimed Mysteries wrote:
> > 1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?

> Just fine in the heat, but I rarely go to cold places, so I don't know
> about that. Note that smaller sensors will probably have more noise
> when warm than cold, so avoid high ISO settings.
>
> > 2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?

> It gets rather hot here in Texas, so I have a metallic colored camera,
> and I try to keep it out of direct sun, and remove it from the car when
> I stop for a long period of time.
>
> > 3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?

> See above, and I have, in the past, put it into a cooler to slow the
> heating if I have to leave it in the car. Note, NO ICE in the cooler,
> it is just to slow the heating.
>

> > 4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
> > cool as possible in use in the heat?

> >Definitely NOT a black case. Plastic case insulates better than metal. - Hide quoted text -

Can you not shade the camera when its on the tripod? Either using a
flash umbrella or something more modest like an aluminum plate on an
arm also bolted to the tripod?

Charles

RichA?

SMS

Ron Hunter wrote:

> See above, and I have, in the past, put it into a cooler to slow the
> heating if I have to leave it in the car. Note, NO ICE in the cooler,
> it is just to slow the heating.

That's fine, as long as the humidity isn't too high, the cooler isn't
sealed tight, and you don't take the cooler from warm to cool weather.
What you want to avoid is putting the camera into a non-breathable case
or bag when the humidity is high and when you're going to take it from
hot humid conditions into cool dry conditions. You can buy desiccant
packets from B&H or other places to avoid problems.

Good camera bags have rain covers available.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:18:24 GMT, Unclaimed Mysteries
<the_letter_k_and_the_numeral_4_doh@unclaimedmyste ries.net> wrote:

>1) How does your camera behave in hot weather?
>
>2) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while in use?
>
>3) Do you take steps to keep the heat down while traveling?
>
>4) How would you design a camera - compact or dSLR or other - to stay as
>cool as possible in use in the heat?

I use a ( childrens ) soft-sided insulated lunchbox.
Fits all my camera stuff.
Stays cool in the back seat of the car in the Arizona summer.
Doesn't look like a bag o' expensive goodies to the casual passer-by.

<rj>