Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New PC - what do I do?

New PC - what do I do?

=?Utf-8?B?M0tJTkdT?=

I just bought a pc from an estate sale. The only thing I know is that it has
Windows XP Pro installed. My current pc is running Win XP Home. What are the
important differences I need to know between "home" and "pro"? Also, how do I
find out what video card it has, memory, sound card, processor speed, and
frontside bus speed (basically, how powerful is it)? If you are so inclined
to help me out I would also like some opinions about the different settings I
should set such as virtual memory, graphic accelerater, etc. Let me thank you
in advance for any help you offer.

Charlie Russel - MVP

This really isn't the right newsgroup for you - this is the newsgroup for
discussing issues around 64-bit computing. However, that being said - XP Pro
is fine for you. It will do everything that XP Home will do, and more. Most
of the differences are nothing you will notice, so don't even worry about
it.

To find out what its capabilities are, click Start, All-Programs,
Accessories, System Tools, System Information.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"3KINGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a pc from an estate sale. The only thing I know is that it
>has
> Windows XP Pro installed. My current pc is running Win XP Home. What are
> the
> important differences I need to know between "home" and "pro"? Also, how
> do I
> find out what video card it has, memory, sound card, processor speed, and
> frontside bus speed (basically, how powerful is it)? If you are so
> inclined
> to help me out I would also like some opinions about the different
> settings I
> should set such as virtual memory, graphic accelerater, etc. Let me thank
> you
> in advance for any help you offer.

PvdG42

"3KINGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a pc from an estate sale. The only thing I know is that it
>has
> Windows XP Pro installed. My current pc is running Win XP Home. What are
> the
> important differences I need to know between "home" and "pro"? Also, how
> do I
> find out what video card it has, memory, sound card, processor speed, and
> frontside bus speed (basically, how powerful is it)? If you are so
> inclined
> to help me out I would also like some opinions about the different
> settings I
> should set such as virtual memory, graphic accelerater, etc. Let me thank
> you
> in advance for any help you offer.

1. Use Device Manager.

2. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

=?Utf-8?B?M0tJTkdT?=

Charlie,
My bad. What newsgroup should I pose the question to? Also, thanks for the
info - I didn't realize it was that easy.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> This really isn't the right newsgroup for you - this is the newsgroup for
> discussing issues around 64-bit computing. However, that being said - XP Pro
> is fine for you. It will do everything that XP Home will do, and more. Most
> of the differences are nothing you will notice, so don't even worry about
> it.
>
> To find out what its capabilities are, click Start, All-Programs,
> Accessories, System Tools, System Information.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "3KINGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just bought a pc from an estate sale. The only thing I know is that it
> >has
> > Windows XP Pro installed. My current pc is running Win XP Home. What are
> > the
> > important differences I need to know between "home" and "pro"? Also, how
> > do I
> > find out what video card it has, memory, sound card, processor speed, and
> > frontside bus speed (basically, how powerful is it)? If you are so
> > inclined
> > to help me out I would also like some opinions about the different
> > settings I
> > should set such as virtual memory, graphic accelerater, etc. Let me thank
> > you
> > in advance for any help you offer.

=?Utf-8?B?M0tJTkdT?=

Thanks for the help. I'm always leary about downloaded software though. Can
you recommend a well know website that has reviewed the software and
approves. No offense but now-a-days you can't take any chances.

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "3KINGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I just bought a pc from an estate sale. The only thing I know is that it
> >has
> > Windows XP Pro installed. My current pc is running Win XP Home. What are
> > the
> > important differences I need to know between "home" and "pro"? Also, how
> > do I
> > find out what video card it has, memory, sound card, processor speed, and
> > frontside bus speed (basically, how powerful is it)? If you are so
> > inclined
> > to help me out I would also like some opinions about the different
> > settings I
> > should set such as virtual memory, graphic accelerater, etc. Let me thank
> > you
> > in advance for any help you offer.

> 1. Use Device Manager.
>
> 2. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

PvdG42

"3KINGS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the help. I'm always leary about downloaded software though.
> Can
> you recommend a well know website that has reviewed the software and
> approves. No offense but now-a-days you can't take any chances.

A quick search through Google Groups should provide all the assurance you
need.

Charlie Russel - MVP

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general looks like a good place to start. Or
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware, or even
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64