Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML captcha solution

HTML captcha solution

Alistair George

Hi has anyone got any ideas about putting a captcha solution inside a
standard web page?
Thanks,
Alistair.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alistair George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi has anyone got any ideas about putting a captcha solution inside a
> standard web page?

B says they suck so I don't know if you should.... look up the
threads on this at this newsgroup (go to google groups and type
in alt.html, then when there, type in "captcha")

--
dorayme

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit dorayme:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alistair George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi has anyone got any ideas about putting a captcha solution inside a
>> standard web page?

> B says they suck so I don't know if you should.... look up the
> threads on this at this newsgroup (go to google groups and type
> in alt.html, then when there, type in "captcha")

Also note the recent news about spammers' tools that penetrate through
captchas.

Of course, a "standard web page" does not need the protection that captchas
are supposed to give. A _service_ (such as free e-mail service) might need,
but captchas are a wrong approach anyway, and illegal in civilized
countries, since they discriminate against various minorities (typically
including the blind).

As usual, it would have been best to start with stating the _problem_ that
captcha was meant to solve.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Bergamot

Alistair George wrote:
> Hi has anyone got any ideas about putting a captcha solution inside a
> standard web page?

I like this one that was developed as a WordPress plugin, but you should
be able to adapt it for more general use.
http://sw-guide.de/wordpress/plugins...am-protection/

It does require server-side scripting, of course.

--
Berg

rf

"Alistair George" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi has anyone got any ideas about putting a captcha solution inside a
> standard web page?

A captcha is synonomous with a bloody pain in the arse.

--
Richard.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bergamot:

> I like this one that was developed as a WordPress plugin, but you
> should be able to adapt it for more general use.
> http://sw-guide.de/wordpress/plugins...am-protection/

Compared with the usual discrimination of the blind and nauseating trouble
to other people, that method discriminates against arithmetically challenged
people and causes nauseating trouble to other people. Why should I do some
math exercise just to prove myself human? And the idea postulates that
people who cannot compute 9+9 (I have actually seen such people working in
shops, buses etc.) are not human - so they can presumably be eliminated
without any moral objection past those against killing some insects or rats.
Oh, was I somewhat provocative? But please blame the original provocation,
captchas, not me.

I'd suggest reading the CAPTCHA article at w3.org before considering any new
ways to create problems with captchas.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ben C

On 2007-07-10, Jukka K. Korpela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit Bergamot:
>
>> I like this one that was developed as a WordPress plugin, but you
>> should be able to adapt it for more general use.
>> http://sw-guide.de/wordpress/plugins...am-protection/

> Compared with the usual discrimination of the blind and nauseating trouble
> to other people, that method discriminates against arithmetically challenged
> people and causes nauseating trouble to other people. Why should I do some
> math exercise just to prove myself human?

In any case a math exercise is a particularly bad test for
distinguishing between a human and a bot. A script could easily be
written to parse the sum, calculate the answer and submit it.

Bergamot

Ben C wrote:

> In any case a math exercise is a particularly bad test for
> distinguishing between a human and a bot. A script could easily be
> written to parse the sum, calculate the answer and submit it.

A script can be written to parse pretty much anything.

I wouldn't suggest using the math problem for a site with heavy traffic,
but it can serve a small site. Depends on the type of site and target
audience whether it makes sense to use such a scheme in the first place.

--
Berg

Bergamot

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> I'd suggest reading the CAPTCHA article at w3.org before considering any new
> ways to create problems with captchas.

http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/#conclusion
"It is strongly recommended that smaller sites adopt spam filtering
and/or heuristic checks in place of CAPTCHA."

I do my own heuristic checks now, but they can be a real PITA to maintain.

--
Berg

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ben C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2007-07-10, Jukka K. Korpela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Scripsit Bergamot:
> >
> >> I like this one that was developed as a WordPress plugin, but you
> >> should be able to adapt it for more general use.
> >> http://sw-guide.de/wordpress/plugins...am-protection/

> > Compared with the usual discrimination of the blind and nauseating trouble
> > to other people, that method discriminates against arithmetically
> > challenged
> > people and causes nauseating trouble to other people. Why should I do some
> > math exercise just to prove myself human?

> In any case a math exercise is a particularly bad test for
> distinguishing between a human and a bot. A script could easily be
> written to parse the sum, calculate the answer and submit it.

One of the objections against captchas is that they are often too
hard to read. The easier to read, the easier for a robot to do so
too. But to read and understand is the toe hold. I would be very
surprised if we could not construct a question that anyone who
could understand English would be able to answer easily but any
present generation robots would fail.

--
dorayme

Simple Captcha : Zero Dependecy Captcha for Rails sur Ruby 0 12-23-2007 03:05 AM
Capturing Text from CAPTCHA Images Krishna Kumar ASP .Net 6 08-05-2005 01:22 PM
Captcha Images prasad ASP .Net 1 04-28-2005 02:22 AM
Captcha Peter Morn Java 0 12-16-2004 10:58 AM
Accessible CAPTCHA? Leif K-Brooks HTML 2 02-21-2004 08:17 PM

Advertisments