Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WD or Seagate?

WD or Seagate?

John

Which drive would you choose between the following WD and Seagate
ones:

http://tinyurl.com/2qfwmp

The Seagate has 5 year Warranty whereas the Western Digital is just 2
years. The WD however has 16MB buffer and the Seagate has just 8MB.

Would the 8MB buffer make much of a difference? I am going to be
booting Windows XP Pro from the drive and will have a second identical
one to backup to.

John

Brian

based on your comparison they both have the same access time and speed so
the buffer would lead me to believe that the WD is faster. If the warranty
is an issue for you then go with the Seagate but I have used many WD drives
for well over 5 years with no problem...then again I have had others go out
rather quickly as well. Usually if it lasts for a year it's a good drive and
will not fail...the WD is also less expensive.

If it was me I would choose the WD over the Seagate despite the warranty.
Both are good choices though

Wizard

Been doing PC work for 20 years and WD's have failed at a greater rate
than all other drives combined!