Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Nero 7 on Win XP Home, SP2

Nero 7 on Win XP Home, SP2

dan glenn

I recently got Nero 7 (DVD/CD-rom hardware) for my system, but it doesn't
seem to work. Downloaded AVS and it works fine. When Nero tries to play a
DVD, the screen momentarily flashes (their screen viewing tool) to bigger
size
but then immediatelty goes to a smaller size and nothing happens. Would
guess
some driver issue or setting? What? I have XPHome, SP 2 and Nero 7. Any
help greatly appreciated...

Ponder

Hiya dan glenn.

In <newszxki.45752$(E-Mail Removed) .net> you wrote:

> When Nero tries to play a DVD, the screen momentarily flashes (their
> screen viewing tool) to bigger size

Why are you using a CD/DVD burning package to play DVDs?

http://www.videolan.org

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

PeeCee

"Ponder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bk4hlax3y6w9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hiya dan glenn.
>
> In <newszxki.45752$(E-Mail Removed) .net> you wrote:
>
>> When Nero tries to play a DVD, the screen momentarily flashes (their
>> screen viewing tool) to bigger size

> Why are you using a CD/DVD burning package to play DVDs?

snip

Ponder

The default install of Nero 7 sets video formats to play through Nero
Showtime which is part of the Nero Suite that comes with new DVD burners.

Paul.

Ponder

Hiya PeeCee.

In <news:f6ug4m$1qr$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

>> Why are you using a CD/DVD burning package to play DVDs?

> The default install of Nero 7 sets video formats to play through Nero
> Showtime which is part of the Nero Suite that comes with new DVD burners.

I know, that's not what I asked. I always turn these off on any Nero
install. Nero was designed for burning not for playing, and to let it run
rampant with all your file associations is a bad idea.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

PeeCee

"Ponder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hiya PeeCee.
>
> In <news:f6ug4m$1qr$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>>> Why are you using a CD/DVD burning package to play DVDs?

>> The default install of Nero 7 sets video formats to play through Nero
>> Showtime which is part of the Nero Suite that comes with new DVD burners.

> I know, that's not what I asked. I always turn these off on any Nero
> install. Nero was designed for burning not for playing, and to

<quote>
>let it run
> rampant with all your file associations is a bad idea.

</quote>

And that is something that is starting to p.. me off with these 'default'
installs.
At one time one could reasonable expect the default install settings to be
free of 'grab all' file associations and invasive 'toolbars', the one
exception for a long time being Real Player.

Nowadays I've got to spend as much time unticking toolbars and file
associations as I spend clicking the OK and Install buttons when rebuilding
a PC.
What's annoying is even paid for software (Nero 7 updates in this case)
try's to foist a 'Search' toolbar on one.

The sooner the Software Industry realises they are pi..ing their customers
off the better, though I'm not holding my breath.

Best
Paul.

Ponder

Hiya PeeCee.

In <news:f713m1$k80$(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> And that is something that is starting to p.. me off with these 'default'
> installs.
> At one time one could reasonable expect the default install settings to be
> free of 'grab all' file associations and invasive 'toolbars', the one
> exception for a long time being Real Player.
> Nowadays I've got to spend as much time unticking toolbars and file
> associations as I spend clicking the OK and Install buttons when rebuilding
> a PC.
> What's annoying is even paid for software (Nero 7 updates in this case)
> try's to foist a 'Search' toolbar on one.
> The sooner the Software Industry realises they are pi..ing their customers
> off the better, though I'm not holding my breath.

What can I say? I'm with you 100% on this one.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952