Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java sound api - clicking problem with short wav file under linux

java sound api - clicking problem with short wav file under linux

root

I have an annoying clicking noise whenever I start to play some short
wave file under linux & jdk 1.6
any workaround ???
regards
patrick

Andrew Thompson

root wrote:
>I have an annoying clicking noise whenever I start to play some short
>wave file under linux & jdk 1.6

Use either long wavs, Windows, or 1.5?

>any workaround ???

The first two are slightly tongue in cheek, but the last
is quite doable assuming that it is a '1.6' problem.

Searched the bug database? Have you tested *this*
wav with same code under different OS/Java version
and confimred that *any* Java based sound can play it
as you expect? Is the wav file corrupted?

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

root

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> root wrote:
>> I have an annoying clicking noise whenever I start to play some short
>> wave file under linux & jdk 1.6

> Use either long wavs, Windows, or 1.5?
>
>> any workaround ???

> The first two are slightly tongue in cheek, but the last
> is quite doable assuming that it is a '1.6' problem.
>
> Searched the bug database? Have you tested *this*
> wav with same code under different OS/Java version
> and confimred that *any* Java based sound can play it
> as you expect? Is the wav file corrupted?

I have tried with many sound files found on the web

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/
http://simplythebest.net/sounds
etc.
I am not using windows systems
only linux ... ;o)
I have converted the files to 16 bits and/or to 44100
still have the same clicking problem
there seems to be a bug in 1.4
thought it would be solved in 1.6 .... lol
maybe I should switch to mp3 ???
patrick

Knute Johnson

root wrote:
> Andrew Thompson wrote:
>> root wrote:
>>> I have an annoying clicking noise whenever I start to play some short
>>> wave file under linux & jdk 1.6

>> Use either long wavs, Windows, or 1.5?
>>
>>> any workaround ???

>> The first two are slightly tongue in cheek, but the last
>> is quite doable assuming that it is a '1.6' problem.
>>
>> Searched the bug database? Have you tested *this*
>> wav with same code under different OS/Java version and confimred that
>> *any* Java based sound can play it
>> as you expect? Is the wav file corrupted?
>>

> I have tried with many sound files found on the web
>
> http://www.thejapanesepage.com/
> http://simplythebest.net/sounds
> etc.
> I am not using windows systems
> only linux ... ;o)
> I have converted the files to 16 bits and/or to 44100
> still have the same clicking problem
> there seems to be a bug in 1.4
> thought it would be solved in 1.6 .... lol
> maybe I should switch to mp3 ???
> patrick

Have you drained the SourceDataLine? How about posting a simple program
that demonstrates your problem?

--

Knute Johnson
email s/nospam/knute/