Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > After SP2, XP pro slow as mole-asses

After SP2, XP pro slow as mole-asses

Mohammad Dickinmyass

I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
can I disable it?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Mohammad Dickinmyass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
>but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
>Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
>can I disable it?

Google: sp2 slow after install

Says you need to clean up your OS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583

--

1K Project
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Mohammad Dickinmyass

On Jul 9, 1:30 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Mohammad Dickinmyass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
> >but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
> >Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
> >can I disable it?

> Google: sp2 slow after install
>
> Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583
>
> --
>
> 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Thank you! That did it.
Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
see that thing any more.
Thanx

WhzzKdd

"Mohammad Dickinmyass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jul 9, 1:30 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Mohammad Dickinmyass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I used to have a fairly fast system (XP-pro, 3 gigs ram, 1000 gig HD)
>> >but I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now it's slow as crap.
>> >Is it coincidence? Or is this a known Windows "feature" and if so how
>> >can I disable it?

>> Google: sp2 slow after install
>>
>> Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583
>>
>> --
>>
>> 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

> Thank you! That did it.
> Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
> notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
> an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
> stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
> updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
> see that thing any more.
> Thanx

Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
(Hint: double-click the red shield.)

Mohammad Dickinmyass

On Jul 9, 2:47 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "Mohammad Dickinmyass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> >> Google:sp2slowafterinstall

> >> Says you need to clean up your OShttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583

> >> --

> >> 1K Projecthttp://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

> > Thank you! That did it.
> > Now can someone tell me please how to get that red shield out of my
> > notification area (by the clock) that tells me Uncle Bill is kepping
> > an eye on my system with his Security Alerts? I managed to get it to
> > stop telling me about various new & improved spyware...um I mean
> > updates...that Windows wants to give me, but I'd really like to not
> > see that thing any more.
> > Thanx

> Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
> goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
> (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
Micro$oft it never will.
So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Mohammad Dickinmyass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
>> goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
>> (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

>It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
>runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
>Micro$oft it never will.
>So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?

Start | Run <type in>
services.msc
<enter>

Find Automatic Updates, Stop, disable, apply

You can also run FIREWALL.CPL for other changes you might want to
make, like stop it, as I'm sure you have another firewall.
--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDVC1Ex9kAA

Mohammad Dickinmyass

On Jul 9, 9:24 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Mohammad Dickinmyass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> Sure. FIX whatever it is that isn't working correctly. Then the red shield
> >> goes away all on it's own. What exactly is it telling you isn't working?
> >> (Hint: double-click the red shield.)

> >It's telling me to turn on automatic updates. And if I do it never
> >runs out of updates to automatically download and install, and knowing
> >Micro$oft it never will.
> >So is there a registry hack or something that'll fix it?

> Start | Run <type in>
> services.msc
> <enter>
>
> Find Automatic Updates, Stop, disable, apply
>
> You can also run FIREWALL.CPL for other changes you might want to
> make, like stop it, as I'm sure you have another firewall.
> --

Yes, I do have another firewall. Two in fact. A software & a hardware.
But after I read Whzzkid's remarks (and my reply) I went off in search
of the word "update" in regedit.
I found three possible solutions and exported then each to my desktop
before changing them.
One of them worked and the red shield is no more.
Now, using the process of elimination I'll discover which one it is
and reunite the other two with their happy places in the bowels of my
registry.