Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF 2.0.0.4 strange loading process

FF 2.0.0.4 strange loading process

sherlock62

I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
making google my home page and the same thing
happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
with my homepage and its address in the address bar.

the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

thanks!

Ed Mullen

sherlock62 wrote:
> I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
> I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
> making google my home page and the same thing
> happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
> in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
> with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
>
> the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
> what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Tom

Ed Mullen wrote:
> sherlock62 wrote:
>> I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
>> I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
>> making google my home page and the same thing
>> happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
>> in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
>> with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
>>
>> the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
>> what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

> Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Tom wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> sherlock62 wrote:
>>> I recently reformatted and reinstalled XP Pro.
>>> I use an html file on my hard drive as my home page, but I've tried
>>> making google my home page and the same thing
>>> happens: FF 2.0.0.4 loads my home page right away, but with nothing
>>> in the address bar. Then I get a white screen. then I get Firefox
>>> with my homepage and its address in the address bar.
>>>
>>> the whole process takes several seconds, and it's annoying.
>>> what's going on? it didn't do that before I reformatted.

>> Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

> thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click
on Tools, add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does
the problem remain?

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ed Mullen

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Try running in Safe Mode. Same thing?

>> thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?

The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
(or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
the effect.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Tom

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Tom wrote:

>>> thanks for the help. No problem in safe mode. works fine. now what?

>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
>>

> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
> the effect.

I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
the only theme I have is the default.
Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

Tom wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
>>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
>>>

>> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
>> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
>> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
>> the effect.

> I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
> the only theme I have is the default.
> Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
> suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
> FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

first, stop uninstalling FF and reinstalling it. Its a waste
of time. The problem is your profile. This is where all
your settings, prefs, extensions, etc, are stored.

Close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run
and enter:

firefox.exe -p

this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test
profile. Does the problem continue in this fresh profile?

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Ed Mullen

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which
>>> one (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must
>>> be restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to
>>> see the effect.

>> I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all
>> extensions; the only theme I have is the default.
>> Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
>> suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
>> FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?
>>

> first, stop uninstalling FF and reinstalling it. Its a waste of time.
> The problem is your profile. This is where all your settings, prefs,
> extensions, etc, are stored.
>
> Close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
>
> firefox.exe -p
>
> this will bring up the FF profile manager. Create a test profile. Does
> the problem continue in this fresh profile?

And, if the problem does NOT exist in a fresh profile, then (running
that fresh profile) start re-installing themes and extensions,
one-by-one, restarting Firefox after each install and that will tell you
if the issue is with one of them, and which one. Then we can deal with
restoring your bookmarks, passwords and other critical data.

As Peter indicated, there is likely nothing in this installation of the
program involved: It's most likely something that is corrupted or
installed into your profile
(http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html) is causing the problem.

Uninstalling (and re-installing) Firefox does not impact or touch your
profile files in any way, only the files in the program installation
location.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Andy Luddy

Tom wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
>>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
>>>

>> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
>> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
>> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
>> the effect.

> I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
> the only theme I have is the default.
> Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
> suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
> FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

Try this (well, you said "ANY other ideas", didn't you?) Opening your
original profile (the one with the problem), go to Tools / Options,
select the Main tab, and highlight and select the entire contents of the
Home Page field, and paste it into a response message between two
delimiters (like |http://www.fnord.org/|). It's possible that there is
something in the contents of your home page field that is incorrect.

--
Andy Luddy
Perform appendectomy to reply

Ed Mullen

Tom wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>>> then your problem is either an extension or a theme. Click on Tools,
>>> add-ons, and disable them all. Restart FF. Does the problem remain?
>>>

>> The OP might want to try disabling add-ons one-by-one to see which one
>> (or combination) is causing the problem. Of course, Firefox must be
>> restarted each time an extension or theme is disabled in order to see
>> the effect.

> I appreciate everything, guys. I ended up uninstalling all extensions;
> the only theme I have is the default.
> Problem remained. Used Windows explorer to remove other possibly
> suspicious things. Problem remained. Uninstalled
> FF; reinstalled it; problem remains. Any other ideas?

If the problem went away in Safe Mode, close FF and then create a new
profile using Profile Manager. You can move your bookmarks, passwords
and form data to the new profile. Here's a link to help with that:

Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
http://mozilla.edmullen.net
http://abington.edmullen.net