Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > FSB question

FSB question

Bioret

I will be buying an AMD x2 5200. It has an fsb of 2000Mhz
so if I buy a motherboard that only supports 1000Mhz there will be a
bottleneck of 1000Mhz? is that correct. Will that really affect me or
should I look for a motherboard that supports the full 2000Mhz?

PeeCee

<Bioret> wrote in message news:Xns9967C3EEF4F49bioret@66.250.146.128...
>I will be buying an AMD x2 5200. It has an fsb of 2000Mhz
> so if I buy a motherboard that only supports 1000Mhz there will be a
> bottleneck of 1000Mhz? is that correct. Will that really affect me or
> should I look for a motherboard that supports the full 2000Mhz?

No there won't be a bottle neck.

If you look at the specs for the AMD X2 5200+ on this page:
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desk...=ADO5200IAA6CZ
You will see they refer to "HT" speed as 2000 not 'fsb'

HT and fsb are not the same as is explained in this Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperTransport

In general terms they get the 2000MHZ by reading the RAM more than once
during the clock cycle.
So if the FSB is 1000MHZ reading the ram twice per clock cycle you could say
the data rate is 2000MHZ.
Not unexpectedly If you read the RAM four times per cycle you can get an
apparent 2000MHZ from a bus that is only running at 500MHZ

In practice what they are doing is playing with numbers to make it look as
though the bandwidth is much bigger than the competition.
i.e. for the most part it's Marketing Bullshit. (sorry if the language
offends but I hate 'Marketing' types, biggest twisters of the truth on
earth. Just think how you feel about real estate agents)

To save yourself a lot of Angst just go to this AMD page and choose from the
compatable motherboards listed.
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/recmobo/Re...~73649,00.html

Paul.

Bioret

thanks that's everything + more about what i needed to know.
and no it doesnt offend me, In any case the marketing bullshit is very
stupid since it confuses me enough to have to ask someone in a newsgroup

thanks.