Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > retriving the registry file from a ghost file

retriving the registry file from a ghost file

don

I'd like to take a look at a line in an old WinXP registry file which is
stored on a backup ghost file..... is it possible to do this? Where would I
find it?

Bert

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 17:29:33 -0400, "don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to take a look at a line in an old WinXP registry file which is
>stored on a backup ghost file..... is it possible to do this? Where would I
>find it?

First download 'Ghost Explorer' to be able to extract single files from
a Ghost image. It's free.
Then read this article:
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/regfiles.htm

Bert

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to take a look at a line in an old WinXP registry file which is
>stored on a backup ghost file..... is it possible to do this? Where would I
>find it?

It's located: WINDOWS\system32\config
import with regedit under File/import to view the entry you want.
--

1K Project
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>>I'd like to take a look at a line in an old WinXP registry file which is
>>stored on a backup ghost file..... is it possible to do this? Where would I
>>find it?

>It's located: WINDOWS\system32\config
>import with regedit under File/import to view the entry you want.

Ment to add: run ERUNT first on your OS, just in case anything happens
to your working registry.

1K Project
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

don

I do not want to override my existing registry - so I don't think import is
the right way - I just want to be able to view a registry setting that I
think has to do with a license file for a program that is not working on my
computer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>>I'd like to take a look at a line in an old WinXP registry file which is
>>>stored on a backup ghost file..... is it possible to do this? Where would
>>>find it?

>>It's located: WINDOWS\system32\config
>>import with regedit under File/import to view the entry you want.

> Ment to add: run ERUNT first on your OS, just in case anything happens
> to your working registry.
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>

> --
>
> 1K Project
> http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

WhzzKdd

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f6s7kt$a1s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>It's located: WINDOWS\system32\config
>>>import with regedit under File/import to view the entry you want.

>> Ment to add: run ERUNT first on your OS, just in case anything happens
>> to your working registry.
>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>>

>I do not want to override my existing registry - so I don't think import is
>the right way - I just want to be able to view a registry setting that I
>think has to do with a license file for a program that is not working on
>my computer

Believe it or not, that was UNDERSTOOD. So follow the directions that have
been provided. You'll have to use regedit to read the registry files. Here's
the STEP BY STEP, since you appear to need someone to hold your hand:

1) backup your existing registry - as Pennywise suggested, ERUNT does that
very nicely.

2) use your Ghost program to restore the registry files
(WINDOWS\system32\config) to a different location than the original (IIRC,
that option is available, but it's been awhile since I used Ghost)

3) load regedit, and import restored registry files (File, Import)

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

>Believe it or not, that was UNDERSTOOD.

Thank you. :]

--

1K Project
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

WhzzKdd

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Believe it or not, that was UNDERSTOOD.

> Thank you. :]

Yup! I was actually surprised that Don even showed up to read the replies
<g>

Producting Ghost bootable CD with ghost image on BertieBigBollox@gmail.com Computer Support 0 09-19-2007 10:26 AM
I used ghost to mirror my C: drive, worked fine, but now when I double-click C: in 'my computer' it opens Ghost. wtf??? jeff Computer Support 7 05-08-2005 07:23 PM
Retriving data simon ASP .Net 0 11-26-2003 02:15 PM
How to make a bootable Ghost CD with Norton Ghost 2003 van A+ Certification 2 10-14-2003 07:53 PM
adding and retriving data from the machine.config? george d lake ASP .Net 0 08-29-2003 09:00 PM

Advertisments