Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Max. File size of each file stored under Outlook Inbox

Max. File size of each file stored under Outlook Inbox

Percy

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum capacity (M bits) that can be
stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?

Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

why?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:14:39 -0700, Percy wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what is the maximum capacity (M bits) that can be
>stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?

What does the "1 GBits?" mean? It's not a question.

1000Mb is 1Gb.

2GB if the help deskcalls are work are anything to go by. You can
workout the 2GB(yte) to bits conversion yourself.

>Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
>file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

Could depend on the file system, registry settings from a group policy
defined by system administrator.

www.google.com try finding out on your own, or even ask in the MS
Outlook newsgroup(s).

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 2,270,000 English pages for outlook
maximum file size. (0.09 seconds)
How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files ...
After this maximum size is reached, Outlook does not permit the size of
the file to grow beyond this size. Back to the top ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925 - Similar pages

Description of the purpose and capacity of Outlook storage facilities
The total file size of a .pst cannot exceed 2 Gigabytes (GB). ... as you
desire and each folder can contain a maximum of 16 kilobyte (KB)
subfolders. ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208480 - Similar pages

[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]
Maintaining Outlook's Data File
While the technical maximum size of a PST file is 2 Gigs, problems can
occur well before then. ... To find the Location of the Outlook PST
file. ...
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_in...k_maintain.htm - 26k - Cached -
Similar pages

How to repair Outlook folders using the Inbox Repair Tool
By default, Microsoft Outlook will install the Scanpst.exe file within
your ... it is likely that your PST file exceeded the maximum file size
of 2Gb. To ...
www.emailaddressmanager.com/outlook/repair.html - 21k - Cached - Similar
pages

Shrinking Outlook Files - Expert Help by PC Magazine
Outlook stores its data in a file with a .pst extension or, if you
connect to an Exchange Server, an .ost extension. The maximum size for
this file is ...
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,715722,00.asp - 111k - Cached - Similar
pages

Outer limits -- Outlook's 2GB maximum file size | Ask Jack ...
Outer limits -- Outlook's 2GB maximum file size. February 16, 2006 12:04
PM | Printable version. Is the 2GB limit on Outlook real or an urban
myth? ...
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/askjack/..._2gb_maxi.html
- 39k - 6 Jul 2007 - Cached - Similar pages

Tech Patterns :: Outlook 2003 maximum personal folder file size
size. I ran into this problem, even though outlook 2003 supports a
theoretical 33 ...
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about756.html - 13k - Cached - Similar
pages

Me

Vanguard

"Percy" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can anyone tell me what is the maximum capacity (M bits) that can be
> stored in each file of Outlook 2000? 1 G Bits?
>
> Is it true that with Outlook 2003, there is no limit to the stored
> file size of each file as long as there is enought hard disc space?

There is always a limit in filesize whether it be by the application
that uses the file or the file system in the OS.

Pre-OL2003 had a limit of 1.87GiB (or 2GB) for the ANSI .pst file. If
you use Exchange, the size limit for your mailbox on the server is
determined by settings made by the mail admin. If you are approaching
Outlook's filesize limit for the .pst file, either decide to purge out
old e-mails, get rid of attachments, especially if you already saved
them to a file, or learn to use its auto-archive feature to push old
items into an archive file (and you can even run auto-archive on the
archive file so it pushes even older items into another archive file as
long as you open that archive files in Outlook so it can run its
auto-archive function on them).

There was a change in the format of the .pst file in OL2003 and after.
Microsoft has a huge support knowledgebase at
http://support.microsoft.com. Use the advanced search to select your
product and enter a search string. Go read
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830336/en-us.

john_mayer1981 john_mayer1981 is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

A Personal Storage Table (.pst) is an open file format used to store copies of messages, calendar events, and other items within Microsoft software such as Microsoft Exchange Client, Windows Messaging, and Microsoft Outlook. Default .pst file format was ANSI and had a maximum size of 2 GB. Outlook 2003 and later, .pst files are created in the Unicode format and have a default maximum size of 20 GB.

Unfortunately upgrading your existing Outlook PST is not automatic and not easy.From Outlook 2003 and onward, the standard format for .pst and .ost files is Unicode (UTF-16 little-endian).This allows a user-definable maximum-file size up to 20 GB that exceeds the previous limit of 2 GB. This format is supported by Microsoft Outlook 2003 and later (2007).A file that is created in the personal-folders format in Outlook 2003 or in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 is not compatible with earlier versions of Microsoft Outlook and cannot be opened by using those older versions. If this limit is reached or sometimes exceeded, retrieval of the .pst file can be difficult if not impossible.

For changing the file format of PST file you can use third party tool SysInfoTools PST Upgrade and Downgrade software. I can refer you a link which can help you to convert PST file format ,This software support MS Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010. It can help you to convert PST file format.

http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery/pst-upgrade.html

Good bye

Re: Broken Outlook Express Inbox File? John O A+ Certification 0 01-19-2006 09:11 PM
HUGE inbox size Captain Crunch Firefox 1 01-24-2005 07:15 PM
What is Outlook Inbox file name? Sparky Computer Support 3 08-11-2003 02:37 AM
What is the file name of the Outlook Inbox (Office XP)? I need to restore it from a Drive Image to recover email. Sparky Computer Support 3 08-10-2003 05:09 PM
What is Outlook Inbox file name? Sparky Computer Support 0 08-10-2003 12:19 AM

Advertisments