Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: Wildly OT:My spampot experiment

Re: Wildly OT:My spampot experiment

Robert Moir

CBIC wrote:
> About 6 weeks ago I set up a gmail account and began posting the addy
> in my sig. I receive 50-60 phishing email per day. I don't receive
> very much spam. So the conclusion to my experiment is that spammers
> are not harvesting off of usenet but scammers are actively
> harvesting. This public service message is brought to you by
> www.mcngp.com

I've been doing something similar. I've seen a good healthy mix of spam and
phishing. Actually I get more spam to my website contact address, which i've
*never* posted with that i can remember, so presumably has been scraped off
the site itself.

Bob Christian

It used to be that they would SPAM the information in the domain registries
(because this technically has to be kept up to date). The SPAM registries
now present this, not as text, but as a picture...and they require you to
enter a keycode (another picture) in order to get in. Thus, the spammers
have been foiled, but still have other means.

Bob
news:(E-Mail Removed)...