Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Optiplex 620 Serial card Problem

Optiplex 620 Serial card Problem

Mike

We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years
ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It
would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
ghosted image?

Help,

mike

J-McC

If you check the "resources" that the card uses you will probably find
that the IRQ and Base address are not the standard coms ports ones.
I am not familiar with the Dell GX620 but have a look in device
manager under hardware. Then find the comms ports or the serial card
and see what irq and address do they use. Normal on board ones are:
Com1: IRQ=4 Base address = 03F8 (hex)
Com2: IEQ=3 Base Address= 02f8 (hex)
Some of the addin serial cards had software that let you alter the
port settings, and some did not. If you can find what chip it uses
google that chip number and you may find new drivers for it.
The software for the palm Vx pda may have a configuration page where
you can change the comms settings.
J McC

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:29:15 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
>cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
>show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years
>ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It
>would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
>Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
>ghosted image?
>
>Help,
>
>mike

Mike

"J-McC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you check the "resources" that the card uses you will probably find
> that the IRQ and Base address are not the standard coms ports ones.
> I am not familiar with the Dell GX620 but have a look in device
> manager under hardware. Then find the comms ports or the serial card
> and see what irq and address do they use. Normal on board ones are:
> Com1: IRQ=4 Base address = 03F8 (hex)
> Com2: IEQ=3 Base Address= 02f8 (hex)
> Some of the addin serial cards had software that let you alter the
> port settings, and some did not. If you can find what chip it uses
> google that chip number and you may find new drivers for it.
> The software for the palm Vx pda may have a configuration page where
> you can change the comms settings.
> J McC

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow.

why?

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:29:15 GMT, Mike wrote:

x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk

>We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
>cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
>show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...s/Portmon.mspx
This will capture Serial and Parallel data sent.

>ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It

If it was a printer then dir > com1:

Or the appropriate port.

>would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.

You could even connect a serial modem and cthe same dir > com1: will
work, Also connect via hyperterminal or another comms apps and a few
simple commands

atz

ati7

Portmon shows
0.40587617 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
....Configurati
0.00001816 IRP_MJ_WRITE Nmserial0 SUCCESS Length 1: .
0.01558913 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: on
Profile....
0.01561148 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ...Product
typ
0.01557181 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: e
U.
0.01560897 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: K.
External..O
0.03122771 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 42: ptions
HST,V32..Fax Options
0.01560673 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
Cl
0.01560981 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ass 1..Clock
0.01559081 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: req
0.01560841 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
16.0Mhz..Epr
0.01560925 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: om
0.01559947 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
128k..Ra
0.01560841 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: m
0.01553102 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
32k....
0.01506113 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: Supervisor
dat
0.01560897 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: e
03/16
0.01560757 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: /93..DSP date
0.01561092 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
0.03122576 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 42:
08/13/92....Supervisor rev 044-4.2
0.01560589 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14: ..DSP rev
0.01561008 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 14:
044
0.01560645 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 5: -12..
0.12499158 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 TIMEOUT Length 6: ..OK..
0.00000000 IRP_MJ_READ Nmserial0 Length 64

Whle the terminal app shows,

atz0
OK
ati 7
Configuration Profile...

Product type U.K. External
Options HST,V32
Fax Options Class 1
Clock Freq 16.0Mhz
Eprom 128k
Ram 32k

Supervisor date 03/16/93
DSP date 08/13/92

Supervisor rev 044-4.2
DSP rev 044-12

OK

>Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
>ghosted image?
>
>Help,
>
>mike

The other usual thing was Norton Utils and PC Tools had test apps with
PC Tools including loopback adapters which I still keep around.

How to Do a Serial Loopback Test- Developer Zone - National ...
A loopback test allows you to send and receive data from the same serial
port to verify that the port is operational. To perform this test, ...
http://.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3450 - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Testing a Serial Port in DOS
X is useful for determining if a serial port is responding. A loopback
test, which requires a loopback plug/adapter, is a very good test of a
serial port. ...
www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/228.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

DB25 serial (RS232) loopback. Pinout and signals for building a ...
The PC loopback plug is a useful diagnostic tool. The loopback plug
connects serial inputs to serial outputs so that the port may be tested.
http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-...ack-db25-c.htm - 11k
- Cached - Similar pages

PassMark Loopback Parallel & Serial port pinouts
Serial and Parallel Loopback plug. db9 loop back prototype. You'll find
below the pin out instructions for making your own serial port loop back
plug. ...
www.passmark.com/support/loopback.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Loopback testing
A loopback test is a simple way to verify that RS-232 communications
hardware is working. You may test a radio interface and your computer's
serial port ...
www.hosenose.com/radio/support/loopback.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar
pages

Me

paulmd@efn.org

On Jul 7, 7:29 pm, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/ serial
> cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does not
> show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port? Several -years
> ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it. It
> would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
> Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
> ghosted image?
>
> Help,
>
> mike

Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
port is functional.

To print a text file out of a serial port

type myfile.txt > com1

or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
printers work).

Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
if you can talk to it.

I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
and not built in one?

Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
can be major headaches if there are differences.

S.Lewis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jul 7, 7:29 pm, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> We have some leased Dell Optiplex gx620 PCs hosted XP Pro images, w/
>> serial
>> cards that hat are not recognized by Palm Vx PDAs. Device Manager does
>> not
>> show any errors. Is there any way I test the serial port?
>> Several -years
>> ago I used a command to send a text file to a serial port to test it.
>> It
>> would even "wake up" a serial port - make it active.
>> Unfortunately I forgot the command. Is it poosible the problem is w/ the
>> ghosted image?
>>
>> Help,
>>
>> mike

> Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
> but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
> port is functional.
>
> To print a text file out of a serial port
>
> type myfile.txt > com1
>
> or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
> actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
> printers work).
>
> Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
> if you can talk to it.
>
> I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
> and not built in one?
>
> Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
> can be major headaches if there are differences.

He might also F12 to the utility partition (if it's still there) and run the
quick diag tests; although if there is a serial module in those tests it's
a really short one.....

Mike

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Quick and dirty: Dig up an old serial mouse. (actually, you can still
> but them new at radio shack) If the mouse works, it is likely that the
> port is functional.
>
> To print a text file out of a serial port
>
> type myfile.txt > com1
>
> or com2, or whatever the port happens to be. Unfortunately, to
> actually see the output, you'd need a serial printer (some label
> printers work).
>
> Yet another possible test is to dig up an old external modem, and see
> if you can talk to it.
>
> I note that you said serial "cards" is this indeed a pci serial port,
> and not built in one?
>
> Re ghosted images: they work if the hardware is the same, but there
> can be major headaches if there are differences.

cut back the baud rate to 9600 then sent a text file to it then the port
became active and sycned w/ Outlook all is well.
Thanks Mike