Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > enabling surround with x64

enabling surround with x64

=?Utf-8?B?bGRhd29sZg==?=

Hi,

after installing windows 64 I noticed that my subwoofer doesn't work when
playing audio in media player DESPITE it works in the mixer software and
defined correctly in the windows audio section.

the device is a cmedia 8738 7 channels pci.

Appreciate your help.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Idawolf:
I have the same problem in Vista x64 with Creativelabs SB 24bit card.
The problem lies in the sound card driver, which doesn't have the LFE option
available.
That option redirects the lower frequencies to the subwoofer.
Even though you may test the 6 speakers and hear sound coming from them, if
there is no LFE option, then WMP doesn't use the subwoofer.
Workaround.
Use Media Player Classic and remap the speakers in the mixer.
Close it, open it again and presto! you've got deep bass.
That worked for me.
Carlos

"ldawolf" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after installing windows 64 I noticed that my subwoofer doesn't work when
> playing audio in media player DESPITE it works in the mixer software and
> defined correctly in the windows audio section.
>
> the device is a cmedia 8738 7 channels pci.
>
> Appreciate your help.

=?Utf-8?B?bGRhd29sZg==?=

Thanks,

it solved the problem.
too bad the subwoofer still doesn't play sound when using the new version of
media player.

"Carlos" wrote:

> Idawolf:
> I have the same problem in Vista x64 with Creativelabs SB 24bit card.
> The problem lies in the sound card driver, which doesn't have the LFE option
> available.
> That option redirects the lower frequencies to the subwoofer.
> Even though you may test the 6 speakers and hear sound coming from them, if
> there is no LFE option, then WMP doesn't use the subwoofer.
> Workaround.
> Use Media Player Classic and remap the speakers in the mixer.
> Close it, open it again and presto! you've got deep bass.
> That worked for me.
> Carlos
>
> "ldawolf" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > after installing windows 64 I noticed that my subwoofer doesn't work when
> > playing audio in media player DESPITE it works in the mixer software and
> > defined correctly in the windows audio section.
> >
> > the device is a cmedia 8738 7 channels pci.
> >
> > Appreciate your help.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Idawolf:
It seems that WMP is the only one lacking the intelligence of deep bass
redirection.
If you play MP3's with Nero Show Time you will be able to listen bass sounds
in your subwoofer.
Same goes to Media Player Classic.
One funny thing though is that WMP handles 5.1 encoded files (a.k.a. Dolby
AC3) nicely.
Try playing an AVI with 5.1 Dolby AC3 and you will get your subwoofer
pumping air in your stomach.
Try playing an MP3 and it will sound flat.
Still cannot figure out why.
Carlos

"ldawolf" wrote:

> Thanks,
>
> it solved the problem.
> too bad the subwoofer still doesn't play sound when using the new version of
> media player.
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Idawolf:
> > I have the same problem in Vista x64 with Creativelabs SB 24bit card.
> > The problem lies in the sound card driver, which doesn't have the LFE option
> > available.
> > That option redirects the lower frequencies to the subwoofer.
> > Even though you may test the 6 speakers and hear sound coming from them, if
> > there is no LFE option, then WMP doesn't use the subwoofer.
> > Workaround.
> > Use Media Player Classic and remap the speakers in the mixer.
> > Close it, open it again and presto! you've got deep bass.
> > That worked for me.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "ldawolf" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > after installing windows 64 I noticed that my subwoofer doesn't work when
> > > playing audio in media player DESPITE it works in the mixer software and
> > > defined correctly in the windows audio section.
> > >
> > > the device is a cmedia 8738 7 channels pci.
> > >
> > > Appreciate your help.

Skybuck Flying

Might be related to 4GB in your system.

My surround sound doesn't work with 4GB.

I set /maxmem to 2048, then it works

I got x-fi elite pro sound card

Bye,
Skybuck.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Idawolf:
> It seems that WMP is the only one lacking the intelligence of deep bass
> redirection.
> If you play MP3's with Nero Show Time you will be able to listen bass
> sounds
> in your subwoofer.
> Same goes to Media Player Classic.
> One funny thing though is that WMP handles 5.1 encoded files (a.k.a. Dolby
> AC3) nicely.
> Try playing an AVI with 5.1 Dolby AC3 and you will get your subwoofer
> pumping air in your stomach.
> Try playing an MP3 and it will sound flat.
> Still cannot figure out why.
> Carlos
>
> "ldawolf" wrote:
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> it solved the problem.
>> too bad the subwoofer still doesn't play sound when using the new version
>> of
>> media player.
>>

>> "Carlos" wrote:
>>
>> > Idawolf:
>> > I have the same problem in Vista x64 with Creativelabs SB 24bit card.
>> > The problem lies in the sound card driver, which doesn't have the LFE
>> > option
>> > available.
>> > That option redirects the lower frequencies to the subwoofer.
>> > Even though you may test the 6 speakers and hear sound coming from
>> > them, if
>> > there is no LFE option, then WMP doesn't use the subwoofer.
>> > Workaround.
>> > Use Media Player Classic and remap the speakers in the mixer.
>> > Close it, open it again and presto! you've got deep bass.
>> > That worked for me.
>> > Carlos

Enabling NUMA in Windows Server 2003 x64 =?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgS2FudGVy?= Windows 64bit 5 07-16-2006 03:09 PM
Surround Display.... bigal Hardware 30 03-22-2006 06:04 AM
Zalman Theatre 6 Surround Headphones Review @ PC Modding Mal Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-21-2005 07:52 PM
Possible to surround a table with a cell...after the fact? comcast HTML 5 03-03-2004 11:08 PM
How to surround text with a rectangle? Bruce W...1 HTML 4 10-19-2003 12:09 AM

Advertisments