Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > cropping photos with Irfanview

cropping photos with Irfanview

John

I have some photos that I want to crop, which are 2048 x 1536 in
resolution.

I want to crop the short side down to 1372, so anything that would
have been past that to 1536 is just deleted and not still remaining in
the image.

I know that you can achieve this by setting the crop height to 1372 in
the crop options in the advance settings.

If I batch covert all my photos just cropping the short side which is
the only side I want to crop then it does what I want with the
exception of the long side which I just need resizing down to 1829 but
not cropping.

When I have just done the cropping part on the short size the picture
as well as the thumbnails of the picture display only the cropped
picture with the data that would have been past 1372 to 1536 missing,
which is what I want.

However if I try and resize down from 2048 to 1829, or, if I try and
do the cropping and resizing at the same time, what happens is the
photos display the cropped and resized image, but the thumbnails do
not. The thumbnails still display the uncropped image with the image
data past 1372 to 1536 which I didn't want to see in the thumbnails
either.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to change all the thumbnails
as well so they only show the information that is displayed in the
cropped and resized photo when you open it?

I don't understand how a cropped and resized photo's thumbnails can
still display the old pre-cropping and resizing image, yet if I just
do the cropping and no resizing it displays correctly in both image
and thumbnail?

I don't suppose there is a way to change all the thumbnails as well?
Or is the cropped part of the photo, is that data still somehow
invisibly saved in the file?

Its a really strange one this.

Cheers for any help

John

olfart

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have some photos that I want to crop, which are 2048 x 1536 in
> resolution.
>
> I want to crop the short side down to 1372, so anything that would
> have been past that to 1536 is just deleted and not still remaining in
> the image.
>
> I know that you can achieve this by setting the crop height to 1372 in
> the crop options in the advance settings.
>
> If I batch covert all my photos just cropping the short side which is
> the only side I want to crop then it does what I want with the
> exception of the long side which I just need resizing down to 1829 but
> not cropping.
>
> When I have just done the cropping part on the short size the picture
> as well as the thumbnails of the picture display only the cropped
> picture with the data that would have been past 1372 to 1536 missing,
> which is what I want.
>
> However if I try and resize down from 2048 to 1829, or, if I try and
> do the cropping and resizing at the same time, what happens is the
> photos display the cropped and resized image, but the thumbnails do
> not. The thumbnails still display the uncropped image with the image
> data past 1372 to 1536 which I didn't want to see in the thumbnails
> either.
>
> My question is, does anyone know of a way to change all the thumbnails
> as well so they only show the information that is displayed in the
> cropped and resized photo when you open it?
>
> I don't understand how a cropped and resized photo's thumbnails can
> still display the old pre-cropping and resizing image, yet if I just
> do the cropping and no resizing it displays correctly in both image
> and thumbnail?
>
> I don't suppose there is a way to change all the thumbnails as well?
> Or is the cropped part of the photo, is that data still somehow
> invisibly saved in the file?
>
> Its a really strange one this.
>
> Cheers for any help
>
> John

why don't you check his website at http://www.irfanview.net/ or
you can email him at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
He is very helpful....I hope you sent him a few bucks and registered...