Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Quation about HP printer OfficeJet G95

Quation about HP printer OfficeJet G95

Rolf

Hi,

Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is not
new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
question:

The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot remember
where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
'branches' pointing upwards.

Can anyone tell me what it is for?

(At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there are
three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
Telephone line.
Telephone.
Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
means the computer should have an analog modem.)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is not
> new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
> question:
>
> The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
> Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
> identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot remember
> where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
> 'branches' pointing upwards.
>
> Can anyone tell me what it is for?
>
> (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there are
> three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
> Telephone line.
> Telephone.
> Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
> means the computer should have an analog modem.)

If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
USB port.

Rolf

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Rolf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is

not
> > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
> > question:
> >
> > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
> > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
> > identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot

remember
> > where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
> > 'branches' pointing upwards.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what it is for?
> >
> > (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there

are
> > three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
> > Telephone line.
> > Telephone.
> > Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
> > means the computer should have an analog modem.)

> If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
> ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
> USB port.

Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.

But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the contact
it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special cable.

Larry

This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer" might
be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have four
contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.

Larry

"Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: > Rolf wrote:
: > > Hi,
: > >
[...]
: >
: > If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
: > ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
: > USB port.
:
: Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
: telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
: Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.
:
: But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the
contact
: it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special
cable.
:
:

SgtMinor

Rolf wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>>Rolf wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the printer is

> not
>
>>>new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
>>>question:
>>>
>>>The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation says.
>>>Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I cannot
>>>identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot

> remember
>
>>>where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple of
>>>'branches' pointing upwards.
>>>
>>>Can anyone tell me what it is for?
>>>
>>>(At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front), there

> are
>
>>>three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are for
>>>Telephone line.
>>>Telephone.
>>>Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume it
>>>means the computer should have an analog modem.)

>>If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they are
>>ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
>>USB port.

> Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
> telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
> Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.
>
> But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the contact
> it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special cable.

USB cords have different connectors on either side. The flat connector
connects to the computer, the "squarish" connector fits the appliance.

Rolf

"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:468fc224$0$16309$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
> connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer"

might
> be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have

four
> contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.

Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While
telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

> Larry
>
> "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> :
> : "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> : > Rolf wrote:
> : > > Hi,
> : > >
> : > > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the

printer
> is
> : not
> : > > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
> : > > question:
> : > >
> : > > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation
> says.
> : > > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I
> cannot
> : > > identify. It's got a symbol I know I 've seen before, but cannot
> : remember
> : > > where. It looks slightly like a tree - a vertical line with a couple
> of
> : > > 'branches' pointing upwards.
> : > >
> : > > Can anyone tell me what it is for?
> : > >
> : > > (At the extreme right side of the rear (as seen from the front),

there
> : are
> : > > three RJ-45 contacts and I don't see no problem with them, they are
> for
> : > > Telephone line.
> : > > Telephone.
> : > > Connection to computer. That's what the doc says - and I must assume
> it
> : > > means the computer should have an analog modem.)
> : >
> : > If those ports are indeed RJ-45, they are not phone line ports, they

are
> : > ethernet ports. The symbol you are trying to figure out sounds like a
> : > USB port.
> :
> : Uhm, I am not so sure about that. I connected the telephone line and the
> : telephone, and I got the dial tone. Would I have got that if it was an
> : Ethernet port? Besides, the contacts had symbols for phone, line and pc.
> :
> : But the USB - I also thought it should be that, but looking itno the
> contact
> : it doesn't look like it is. But maybe, maybe it should have a special
> cable.
> :
> :

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Rolf wrote:

> Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
> assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While
> telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.

> But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
> doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

Does it look something like (gotta be using monospaced plain text for this):

__
/ \
|__|

why?

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:36:11 +0200, Rolf wrote:

With HP kit (or any) including the model code like C6740A helps.

>"Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:468fc224$0$16309$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> This OfficeJet sounds like it has Fax capabilities if it has phone
>> connections, which are RJ-11, not RJ-45. The "Connection to Computer"

>might
>> be an RJ-45. You can tell the difference in that RJ-11 connectors have

>four
>> contacts. RJ-45 will have eight.
>>

>Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
>assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts. While

Even RJ-45 is a generic term used incorrectly.

8P8C, picture.
http://www.gpskit.nl/images/rj45pcb.jpg

Phones are commonly RJ11.
http://www.dspglobal.com/adapt%20RJ11%20schem.jpg
6P4C

>telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

Usually 4 i.e.2 pairs and 1000Mbps or 1Gbps used the 8 and another
variant or 2.

>But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer conctact? It
>doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

How odd in that case, pictures are always handy. Maybe a vendor specific
micro USB port.

So it's not this then?
http://www.housing.wisc.edu/resnet/images/rj45-1.jpg

>> Larry
>>
>> "Rolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> :
>> : "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> : news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> : > Rolf wrote:
>> : > > Hi,
>> : > >
>> : > > Printer HP OfficeJet G95 - the HP documentation is lousy, the

>printer
>> is
>> : not
>> : > > new, and searching HP's webpages provided no clues. I have a simple
>> : > > question:
>> : > >
>> : > > The rear of the printer doesn't look quite like the documentation
>> says.
>> : > > Close by the parallel printer connector is a small contact that I
>> cannot

<snip>

Me

Rolf

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rolf wrote:
>
> > Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
> > assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts.

While
> > telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

> Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.
>
> > But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer

conctact? It
> > doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

> Does it look something like (gotta be using monospaced plain text for

this):

> __
> / \
> |__|

Am I stupid - I don't have the printer in question here, but your question
prompted me to look at the printer that I do have here - another HP, a
Deskjet 380 - and dammit, it has the same type of contact! And that contact,
is not like the other USB contacts that I am familiar with, and have on
several other units here.

OK, so I cant trust USB to be USB like I used to trust DB-25 to be just
DB-25 - but then I always used to have a gender bender at hand...

But that settles it, I gotta go out and get me a HP USB printer cable.

BTW, the contact on the printer is square hole with a square 'block' in the
middle , and the contact on the cable has a square hole that fits over the
square on the printer contact.

Thanks to all who have tried to help - and without your help, I don't know
how long it would have taken me to solve the mystery. 24H is a great place!

why?

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:11:48 +0200, Rolf wrote:

>"Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rolf wrote:
>>
>> > Sure enough, I should have checked that. They have four-contacts, I just
>> > assumed that RJ-45 was a generic term covering both 4 and 8 contacts.

>While
>> > telephoen may use 4 or 8, networks need 8.

>> Networks neeed 4 but use 8, but let's not haggle over details.
>>
>> > But what aboot the mysterious contact near the parallel printer

>conctact? It
>> > doesn't look like a regular USB contact, but have the USB symbol...

<snip>

>But that settles it, I gotta go out and get me a HP USB printer cable.
>
>BTW, the contact on the printer is square hole with a square 'block' in the
>middle , and the contact on the cable has a square hole that fits over the
>square on the printer contact.

This then
http://www.allproducts.com/ee/fuyao/...0567144515.jpg
USB Type B socket.