Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Booting off external USB drive?

Booting off external USB drive?

John

Are there any problems or issues regarding speed/access times compared
with traditional ATA or SATA drives when you run XP off an external
USB2 hard drive? Or would you say it makes little or no difference?

I'd also appreciate any recommendations on back up software as well. I
had been looking at the Western Digital external My Book drives,
however looking at a lot of the reviews, the drives are great but the
backup software they come with are full of bugs. So I was thinking of
just going with the cheaper oem elements drive from Western Digital
instead and maybe purchasing something like Norton Save & Restore.
Unless anyone can suggest any different software to that for backups?

I was planning on running windows off the external usb2 WD elements
drive and then getting another external drive to backup data to.
Either getting another elements oem drive and some software for the
backups, or maybe instead getting a Maxtor One Touch drive as the
drive the backups are done to? So I'd also love to hear anyones
opinion on the Maxtor One Touch drives for backups and whether they
really are One Touch wonders and also if you can schedule these drives
for backups?

Cheers

John