Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

How do I configure IE to use the wireless connection?

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Barb and Jack
>
> Thanks for your help - I really am very grateful.
>
> So some new info: I disabled encryption and the wireless connection
> then worked fine, I got an IP address and surfed with IE, with the
> Ethernet connection disconnected. So we can now blame my encryption
> settings, I think.
>
> My modem is a Huawei HG520S. Supported authentication types are:
>
> WEP-64bits
> WEP-128bits
> WPA-PSK
> WPA2-PSK
>
> Are the last two the same as WPA AES and WPA-TKIP shown on the MVP
> site? Which should I use for maximum security?
>
> What I had done was to chose WEP-128bits and entered key#1, leaving
> key#2-3 blank. Was that wrong?
>
> Thanks again
>
> David

No, your experience points to a mismatch between the key in the router and
the key that you entered.
It can be quite tedious to get the key correctly.
Your other mistake was in not using WPA (but you still must get the keys to
match).
Jim

dandbnews@talktalk.net

Hi

> No, your experience points to a mismatch between the key in the router and
> the key that you entered.
> It can be quite tedious to get the key correctly.
> Your other mistake was in not using WPA (but you still must get the keys to
> match).

I am now using WPA2 and I specified a short (8 character) phrase. I
very carefully typed it into the router and laptop but still no joy.

Any other suggestions please?

David

Barb Bowman

are you using the latest firmware for your wireless router?
if yes, do you still have a valid IP address?
if the address is 169.254.xxx.xxx or not a valid IP address, have
you tried http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/928233/en-us
?

--

Barb Bowman