Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot setup wireless network

Cannot setup wireless network

Panchi

Hi,

I have a PC with which I have connected a wireless USB adapter (Linksys
Wireless -G 802.11g USB). However, I don't know how to set it up so that the
laptop can connect to the wirelss network which in turn has an ADSL
connection. I just want to connect to the PC from my laptop so that I can
use the internet. I have no clue how I can do that since I have an error
that no devices are found when trying to search for network from network
connections. Both PC & laptop have Win. XP pro installed. Any ideas?

Macroman

You could have Mac Address filtering on and if so you need to add the Mac
address of your laptop to the list on your Router settings. If you do not
have a manual click this link to identify your router from the Linksys
website.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4139637314B03.

To access your router you need to enter the routers IP address in your web
browser usually 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1
To identify your laptop Mac address goto Start,Run enter CMD press enter or
click ok, and you will have the DOS screen.
Type in IPCONFIG/ALL and press enter.
On the results for your laptop wireless adapter it will show physical
address, something like 00-00-b2-67-8h-9t.

It would also be a good idea to set up a password on your router and also
implement the security, it will be one of the links on the left.
Also check the wireless adapter network option and make sure it is obtaining
it's IP address automatically, goto Properties of wireless connection,
select the Internnet Protocol and view the properties of that

This all will be covered in the manual if you have one or the downloadable
manual for your router from the LinkSYS website.

Good Luck

Macroman

"Panchi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a PC with which I have connected a wireless USB adapter (Linksys
> Wireless -G 802.11g USB). However, I don't know how to set it up so that
> the laptop can connect to the wirelss network which in turn has an ADSL
> connection. I just want to connect to the PC from my laptop so that I can
> use the internet. I have no clue how I can do that since I have an error
> that no devices are found when trying to search for network from network
> connections. Both PC & laptop have Win. XP pro installed. Any ideas?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

You have to describe more clearly how the connection is done now.

1. The PCs Internet connection is to what, and how?

2. The Laptop has wireless capacity?

3. The USB Wireless is an additional network card to the desktop that has
already wire connection?

In general the best stable, secure solution involves getting a Wireless
Cable/DSL Router, and creating a wire/wireless Network around it.

Looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

Jack (MVP-Networking).