Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ultralast Charger Comes with Hybrio Batteries, and can run off USBport (plus 120-240 VAC and 12 VDC)

Ultralast Charger Comes with Hybrio Batteries, and can run off USBport (plus 120-240 VAC and 12 VDC)

SMS

Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> ASAAR
> <(E-Mail Removed)>], who wrote in article <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> More likely, the USB port on the charger is there for the purpose
>> of allowing it to charge cell phones, PDAs and mp3 players.

> You are confused.

That's the understatement of the year.

> USB is not symmetric. So the answer is very
> simple: if it is a USB client port, it is (probably) for powering the
> charger (probably in long-charge mode; not a big deal, IMO - if there
> is no alternative). If it is host port, it is (probably) to be a
> power source for USB-powered devices.

In the case of these chargers, a power cable with a Type A connector
(rectangle) plugs into the PC, and a barrel connector plugs into the
charger's DC power connection. Personally I wold have preferred a
mini-USB or Type B connector so a standard USB cable could be used, but
this would have required that they put a separate connector for the car
cord and the USB charging on the charger. In any case, the USB port is
there for the purpose of operating the charger from a USB port, not for
charging external devices.

> Wikipedia should provide enough info to distinguish client ports from
> host ones. (If non-mini, client is squarish, and host is
> elongated-ish.)

Indeed it does, for anyone interested in actually understanding how USB
works. The USB specification is also available online for free.

John Turco

SMS wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> The USB NiMH battery chargers are necessarily low current, but still
> practical for overnight charging. ASAAR is wrong of course about the USB
> port on the Ultralast charger being there as an output port to charge
> other devices, it's one of three ways of powering the charger, same as
> the two other chargers I listed with that capability. There are a load
> of other such chargers as well, though powering from USB makes it less
> desirable to do individual charging circuits because of the limited current.

Hello, Steven:

Aha! So, you >do< continue to read ASAAR's posts, even though you
claimed to have killfiled him, ages ago. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

SMS

John Turco wrote:

> Hello, Steven:
>
> Aha! So, you >do< continue to read ASAAR's posts, even though you
> claimed to have killfiled him, ages ago. <g>

I see the follow-ups, but he's still kill-filed. I confess that after
another poster came up with the bizarre statement about
"scientific/technical background" I went to Google Groups to see his
latest posts, thinking maybe there'd been a sea-change in his posts, but
alas, it's the same old misinformation.

His statements on USB power are just too bizarre, since the spec is
there for anyone to read. No one would think any worse of ASAAR if he
admitted his mistakes, but he just digs himself in deeper and deeper. He
may have something useful to contribute, but with it's like the boy who
cried wolf, you never know what to believe.

ASAAR

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 20:57:12 -0700, SMS wrote:

>> Aha! So, you >do< continue to read ASAAR's posts, even though you
>> claimed to have killfiled him, ages ago. <g>

> I see the follow-ups, but he's still kill-filed. I confess that after
> another poster came up with the bizarre statement about
> "scientific/technical background" I went to Google Groups to see his
> latest posts, thinking maybe there'd been a sea-change in his posts, but
> alas, it's the same old misinformation.

So you say. Too bad that your credibility is near zero.

> His statements on USB power are just too bizarre, since the spec is
> there for anyone to read. No one would think any worse of ASAAR if he
> admitted his mistakes, but he just digs himself in deeper and deeper. He
> may have something useful to contribute, but with it's like the boy who
> cried wolf, you never know what to believe.

What? My quotes were from Energizer's PDF file, which you said
were either so ridiculous that if "Eveready" actually made them,
they must have realized their mistake and removed them, or that I
fabricated them. As I posted in another reply, those quotes are
still available in the Energizer PDF file that you missed. You're
still wrong and Energizer is still right. The main reason you've
killfiled me is to protect yourself. You make so many ridiculous
statements and fabrications of your own that you'd not have the time
or ability to defend your deceptive posts, so you take the easy way
out and play the ostrich. MANY readers in this newsgroup are on to
your game and have said so. I'm afraid that if anyone is guilty of
posting misinformation, it's you, OJ.

Allen

SMS wrote:
> John Turco wrote:
>
>> Hello, Steven:
>>
>> Aha! So, you >do< continue to read ASAAR's posts, even though you
>> claimed to have killfiled him, ages ago. <g>

> I see the follow-ups, but he's still kill-filed. I confess that after
> another poster came up with the bizarre statement about
> "scientific/technical background" I went to Google Groups to see his
> latest posts, thinking maybe there'd been a sea-change in his posts, but
> alas, it's the same old misinformation.
>
> His statements on USB power are just too bizarre, since the spec is
> there for anyone to read. No one would think any worse of ASAAR if he
> admitted his mistakes, but he just digs himself in deeper and deeper. He
> may have something useful to contribute, but with it's like the boy who
> cried wolf, you never know what to believe.

I am the one who posted the "bizarre" statement about scientific
background.
1. What is "bizarre" about wanting to evaluate the qualifications of a
person who claims vast knowledge of a subject?
2. I must assume that you have no applicable scientific or technical
background, as you have not told us what yours is.

Put up or shut up.
Allen

SMS

Allen wrote:

> I am the one who posted the "bizarre" statement about scientific
> background.
> 1. What is "bizarre" about wanting to evaluate the qualifications of a
> person who claims vast knowledge of a subject?

I gave you the references to prove that the person you referred to has
absolutely no idea what he is talking about, so you can evaluate the
qualifications. My posts and web sites speak for themselves. Everything
is referenced, and there is no question about the validity of the
statements.

Allen

SMS wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>
>> I am the one who posted the "bizarre" statement about scientific
>> background.
>> 1. What is "bizarre" about wanting to evaluate the qualifications of a
>> person who claims vast knowledge of a subject?

> I gave you the references to prove that the person you referred to has
> absolutely no idea what he is talking about, so you can evaluate the
> qualifications. My posts and web sites speak for themselves. Everything
> is referenced, and there is no question about the validity of the
> statements.

OK, you refused to answer my question, which makes me believe that you
have no qualifications other than the ability to type. Plonk.
Allen

SMS

SMS wrote:
> I was in Fry's at lunch today, and I saw a new NiMH charger from
> Ultralast that is bundled with 4 AA Hybrio batteries. It has an LCD that
> indicates the charge level of each cell (so presumably it has four
> independent channels), and can be plugged into a computer's USB port (as
> well as the usual AC or DC power sources).

Some more information on this charger:

-Model: Ultralast ULINOV2
-UPC: 076097108752
-Conditioning & Rejuvenating
-3 Year Warranty
-USB, 110-240 VAC, 12VDC Input
-$25 with four Hybrio 2100mA batteries

It doesn't appear anywhere on the web that I could find.

I added what's known to the charger web site. I also added quite a bit
of information on USB charging, since this seems to be coming more
common, and since apparently some people are very confused about the USB
specification for power.

Steve
"http://nordicgroup.us/chargers"