Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

jim

Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
update your plugins and (b) make you click on continue after the stupid
screen in "a"?

I'll go out on a limb here and say that 99.999% of all users want the most
up to date version of their extensions.

I'll wander out even further on said limb and say that 100% of the people
that launched Firefox and got that damned stupid update dialog box actually
want to "continue" and open Firefox.

This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when it
somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.

jim

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

jim wrote:
> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
> update your plugins and (b) make you click on continue after the stupid
> screen in "a"?
>
> I'll go out on a limb here and say that 99.999% of all users want the most
> up to date version of their extensions.
>
> I'll wander out even further on said limb and say that 100% of the people
> that launched Firefox and got that damned stupid update dialog box actually
> want to "continue" and open Firefox.
>
> This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when it
> somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.
>
> jim

some people want to be notified when an update happens, but
they want to manually download the file and manually install
it. Some, like me, want a copy of the file on their hard
drive, just incase something goes wrong with their profile
or computer. This way, I don't have to hunt all over the
net for my extensions.

And, if you don't like the notification, then turn it off.

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

jim

"Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> jim wrote:
>> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
>> update your plugins and (b) make you click on continue after the stupid
>> screen in "a"?
>>
>> I'll go out on a limb here and say that 99.999% of all users want the
>> most up to date version of their extensions.
>>
>> I'll wander out even further on said limb and say that 100% of the people
>> that launched Firefox and got that damned stupid update dialog box
>> actually want to "continue" and open Firefox.
>>
>> This is why I can't work with programmers anymore....f-ing brilliant when
>> it somes to writing code and not a lick of common sense.
>>
>> jim

> some people want to be notified when an update happens, but they want to
> manually download the file and manually install it. Some, like me, want a
> copy of the file on their hard drive, just incase something goes wrong
> with their profile or computer. This way, I don't have to hunt all over
> the net for my extensions.
>
> And, if you don't like the notification, then turn it off.

Under Tools>Options>Advanced>Updates....I have the following set ("X" =
selected & "O" = NOT selected)....

Automatically check for updates to:
X Firefox
X Installed Add-Ons
X Search Engines

When updates to Firefox are found:
O Ask me what I want to do
X Automatically download and install the update
X Warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons

So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

jim wrote:
> So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

right here:

> Automatically check for updates to:
> X Firefox
> X Installed Add-Ons
> X Search Engines

one. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Captain Infinity

Once Upon A Time Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

>jim wrote:
>> So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

>right here:
>
>> Automatically check for updates to:
>> X Firefox
>> X Installed Add-Ons
>> X Search Engines

Wow, you're totally missing his point. The thing is, there's no need
for a "continue" dialog. It should just install the extension and then
start up the program, which is what the user wants to do in the first
place.

**
Captain Infinity

jim

"Captain Infinity" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Once Upon A Time Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>
>>jim wrote:
>>> So where do I turn off this idiot dialog?

>>right here:
>>
>>> Automatically check for updates to:
>>> X Firefox
>>> X Installed Add-Ons
>>> X Search Engines

> Wow, you're totally missing his point. The thing is, there's no need
> for a "continue" dialog. It should just install the extension and then
> start up the program, which is what the user wants to do in the first
> place.
>
> **
> Captain Infinity

Exactly!

And, from the Mozilla Forums - "At this point there is a bug that would make
constant errors on Firefox start for XP users with limited accounts if all
would be set up as you required..."

So, perhaps that is it.

You can follow the forum discussion at
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...955985#2955985, if you so
desire.

jim

Timo Salmi

In article <gpxji.6856$(E-Mail Removed)>,
jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
> update your plugins

Not everyone is constantly connected via broadband, e.g. on a trip
with a laptop and a modem. One may wish to choose when updates are
made.

All the best, Timo

Department of Accounting and Business Finance ; University of Vaasa
(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/> ; FIN-65101, Finland
Timo's FAQ materials at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/tsfaq.html

Bob

Timo Salmi wrote:
> In article <gpxji.6856$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Why would any thinking programmer make Firefox (a) ask you if you want to
>> update your plugins

> Not everyone is constantly connected via broadband, e.g. on a trip
> with a laptop and a modem. One may wish to choose when updates are
> made.

That is fine but we have set our choices to "Automatically Update" and
it does not.

--
Bob

New and fresh jan@cert-start.com MCSD 1 12-12-2005 03:22 PM
Preferable to do fresh install of v1.5? S.Rodgers Firefox 2 12-12-2005 12:20 AM
Starting Fresh =?Utf-8?B?UkpQ?= Wireless Networking 1 01-09-2005 08:32 AM
RequiredFieldValidator in action immediately in fresh form peshrad ASP .Net 1 04-09-2004 04:00 PM
Fresh Starter Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] ASP .Net 4 04-03-2004 07:35 AM

Advertisments