Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Resize an image to fit a CSS without knowing if it is portrait orlandscape shape

Resize an image to fit a CSS without knowing if it is portrait orlandscape shape

zorro

Hello,
I have a square shaped CSS and I would like to resize a picture to fit
it. The problem is that I do not know if it is a portrait or landscape
shape picture, so I do not know whether it is the height or the width
that must be resize to 100% of the CSS. Obviously, I would like to keep
the aspect ratio of the original picture.
Is it possible to do what I want?
Thank you
David L.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit zorro:

> I have a square shaped CSS

Really? Sounds like a mauve database. But you could have compensated for the
absurdity of the problem description by specifying the URL of your page.
After all, if we can see the page, we can often figure out what the problem
is.

> and I would like to resize a picture to fit it.

Oh.

> The problem is that I do not know if it is a portrait or landscape
> shape picture, so I do not know whether it is the height or the width
> that must be resize to 100% of the CSS.

Probably "square shaped CSS" means an HTML element, probably a div element,
for which you suggest height and width properties with the same value, in
CSS. And now you apparently want to use CSS to scale an image, with
arbitrary intrinsic dimensions, so that it fits into the square occupied by
the element and is as large as possible, within those limits.

The simple answer is that you cannot do that in CSS.

Why do you want to make browsers scale an image in the first place? Old
browsers used to scale very poorly, and hardly any browser scales better
than an average image processing program. So why don't you just do the
scaling server-side?

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

zorro

Even if you seem to be bored by this question (perhaps because as a
French, I do not speak your language as well as I should to post on this
forum), you understand acurately my problem and give me the answer: "you
cannot do that in CSS".
The reason why I would like to do this is that thanks to some JS code,
the CSS is dynamically resized and moved.
And the reason why I do not know if this is landscape or portrait shaped
is that the pictures are listed from a directory with PHP before, so
that I can add pictures in the directory and make them be taken into
account without needing modifying the code. I am going to see if PHP can
get access to the header of the jpg and get the width and height of the
picture.
Thanks for your time...
David L.

Jukka K. Korpela a écrit :
> Scripsit zorro:
>
>> I have a square shaped CSS

> Really? Sounds like a mauve database. But you could have compensated for
> the absurdity of the problem description by specifying the URL of your
> page. After all, if we can see the page, we can often figure out what
> the problem is.
>
>> and I would like to resize a picture to fit it.

> Oh.
>
>> The problem is that I do not know if it is a portrait or landscape
>> shape picture, so I do not know whether it is the height or the width
>> that must be resize to 100% of the CSS.

> Probably "square shaped CSS" means an HTML element, probably a div
> element, for which you suggest height and width properties with the same
> value, in CSS. And now you apparently want to use CSS to scale an image,
> with arbitrary intrinsic dimensions, so that it fits into the square
> occupied by the element and is as large as possible, within those limits.
>
> The simple answer is that you cannot do that in CSS.
>
> Why do you want to make browsers scale an image in the first place? Old
> browsers used to scale very poorly, and hardly any browser scales better
> than an average image processing program. So why don't you just do the
> scaling server-side?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:468e7c48$0$19901$(E-Mail Removed):

> I am going to see if PHP can
> get access to the header of the jpg and get the width and height of the
> picture.

Yes, it can. The PHP manual has all the details. Oh, and next time,
please don't top post.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

zorro

Adrienne Boswell a écrit :
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:468e7c48$0$19901$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am going to see if PHP can
>> get access to the header of the jpg and get the width and height of the
>> picture.
>>

> Yes, it can. The PHP manual has all the details. Oh, and next time,
> please don't top post.

Ok sorry and thak you

Sherm Pendley

Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:468e7c48$0$19901$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I am going to see if PHP can
>> get access to the header of the jpg and get the width and height of the
>> picture.

> Yes, it can.

With the appropriate options enabled, it can also resize the images on the
server, either when they're uploaded or when they're served to visitors. As
Jukka said, that's a *far* better option than relying on the browser to do
the resizing.

sherm--

zorro

Sherm Pendley a écrit :
> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
>> news:468e7c48$0$19901$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I am going to see if PHP can
>>> get access to the header of the jpg and get the width and height of the
>>> picture.

>> Yes, it can.

> With the appropriate options enabled, it can also resize the images on the
> server, either when they're uploaded or when they're served to visitors. As
> Jukka said, that's a *far* better option than relying on the browser to do
> the resizing.
>
> sherm--

You mean, as the images are frequently resized, make PHP resize and not JS?

Sherm Pendley

zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Sherm Pendley a écrit :
>> Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed zorro <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> writing in news:468e7c48$0$19901$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Yes, it can.

>> With the appropriate options enabled, it can also resize the images on the
>> server, either when they're uploaded or when they're served to visitors. As
>> Jukka said, that's a *far* better option than relying on the browser to do
>> the resizing.
>>

> You mean, as the images are frequently resized, make PHP resize and not JS?

No, I mean you should do that with PHP because browsers do a horrible job of
it for some reason. Also, there's no reason your users should have to wait
for a full-size 100Kb download, when all they're really going to see is a
little thumbnail that could have been delivered in a fraction of the time.

sherm--

zorro

Sherm Pendley a écrit :
> zorro <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Sherm Pendley a écrit :

>>> With the appropriate options enabled, it can also resize the images on the
>>> server, either when they're uploaded or when they're served to visitors. As
>>> Jukka said, that's a *far* better option than relying on the browser to do
>>> the resizing.
>>>

>> You mean, as the images are frequently resized, make PHP resize and not JS?

> No, I mean you should do that with PHP because browsers do a horrible job of
> it for some reason. Also, there's no reason your users should have to wait
> for a full-size 100Kb download, when all they're really going to see is a
> little thumbnail that could have been delivered in a fraction of the time.
>
> sherm--

Thanks for all the details.
David L.

Neredbojias

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:40:37 GMT Sherm Pendley scribed:

>> You mean, as the images are frequently resized, make PHP resize and
>> not JS?

> No, I mean you should do that with PHP because browsers do a horrible
> job of it for some reason.

Opera does _that_ very well. It's true, though, that browsers in-the-main
are a backwards, decrepit lot which should be much better than they are.
This is probably because there's no money in them.

--
Neredbojias

Q: Do you speak Turkish?
A: Gobble gobble, dude.