Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Formatted SD card in camera, now only 1gb instead of 2gb! Need to repartition it!

Formatted SD card in camera, now only 1gb instead of 2gb! Need to repartition it!

Ed Chilada

I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
entirely familiar with.

I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
all. Anything else I can use?

Thanks

John Bean

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 GMT, Ed Chilada
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
>used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
>to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
>partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
>Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
>it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
>entirely familiar with.
>
>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
>all. Anything else I can use?

Windows is brain dead with removeable disks like memory
cards, it simply refuses to touch the partition table.

I've had this exact problem a few years ago and used Linux
fdisk booted from a live CD distro to zap the card and
recreate a new FAT partition.

It then re-formatted in XP to its proper capacity.

--
John Bean

Larry Bud

On Jul 6, 7:27 am, Ed Chilada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
> used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
> to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
> partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
> Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
> it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
> entirely familiar with.
>
> I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
> all. Anything else I can use?

Just googled your issue, and MAC users have the same problem. Take a
look at this thread:

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archiv...p/t-55172.html

There's a link to a Windows app that you might want to try.

Dave Cohen

Ed Chilada wrote:
> I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
> used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
> to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
> partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
> Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
> it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
> entirely familiar with.
>
> I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
> all. Anything else I can use?
>

> Thanks

You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem. If bootitng
recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.
Dave Cohen

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
> Ed Chilada wrote:
> > I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
> > used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
> > to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
> > partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
> > Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
> > it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
> > entirely familiar with.
> >
> > I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
> > all. Anything else I can use?
> >

> > Thanks

> You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
> bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
> not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
> There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
> since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
> know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
> system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
> It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?

>If bootitng
> recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
> your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Tony Hwang

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> ? "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
>
>>Ed Chilada wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
>>>used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
>>>to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
>>>partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
>>>Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
>>>it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
>>>entirely familiar with.
>>>
>>>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
>>>all. Anything else I can use?
>>>

>>>Thanks

>>You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
>>bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
>>not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
>>There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
>>since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
>>know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
>>system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
>>It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

> Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?
>

>>If bootitng
>>recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
>>your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.

> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Hmmm,
I did the same thing and when I put the card back into camera it said
it needed a format so I did. All is well again. Camera is Lumix DMC-FZ20.

ray

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 +0000, Ed Chilada wrote:

> I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
> used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
> to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
> partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
> Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
> it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
> entirely familiar with.
>
> I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
> all. Anything else I can use?
>

> Thanks

You might try the Gparted Live CD.

Dave Cohen

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
> ? "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
>> Ed Chilada wrote:
>>> I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
>>> used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
>>> to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
>>> partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
>>> Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
>>> it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
>>> entirely familiar with.
>>>
>>> I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
>>> all. Anything else I can use?
>>>

>>> Thanks

>> You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
>> bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
>> not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
>> There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
>> since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
>> know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
>> system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
>> It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

> Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?

Can't find an update, machine is from e-machine and they don't supply.
Phoenix site no-go. It's not really a problem, machine fine otherwise.
Dave Cohen

>> If bootitng
>> recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
>> your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.

> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Ed Chilada

wrote:

>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
>all. Anything else I can use?

Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!

Thanks again

DOCJohnson

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:21:54 GMT, Ed Chilada <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 GMT, Ed Chilada <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
>>all. Anything else I can use?

>Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
>or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
>thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!
>
>Thanks again

Try this link: for the Windows version:

http://www.ritekusa.com/upload/SDFix2G_104.rar

I've been trying to repair an inexpensive SD card for a long time and no
utilities I've tried so far seemed to work. So I took some time to play with the
different download paths at that site to see if their program would help, if I
could find it. Basing a guess on their other files' download paths, I tried
those with the right filename. I found out they put it in a different directory
but didn't update the links to it on their web pages. It didn't fix the card I
have here but it looks like it might come in handy in the future for other
situations.

When I found out yet another Windows utility didn't work I finally tried some
hacker's DOS+USB access to card-reader utilities that I happen to have to try to
fix my corrupt card. It now appears to be a permanent SD hardware problem.
Luckily it was only $20. Its twin has performed flawlessly however. Something
fried in it and won't allow any writes beyond a FAT or MBR update, and that only
holds for that session, no matter what low-level hard-drive and format repair
utilities I tried. Reads are fine, it's writes that are screwed, there's one
corrupt folder entry that's causing it all. (And no, it has nothing to do with
something as simple as the write-protect lock on the card.)

If you too find that that Windows program won't help, do a hunt for a CD image
file called "Hiren's Boot CD v9.1" (or later version), as that has all the
DOS+USB support and special low-level hacker HD maintenance utilities, that no
Windows program could ever hope to cope with. It was put together as a special
hacker's utility CD with a half-hundred or so utility programs on it to be able
to access and repair and recover a computer's OS and lost data or nearly
anything, with the barest of essentials. If nothing else it was quite
interesting being able to see all my USB devices (card-readers, card data,
external USB hard-drives, etc.) from DOS and have access to everything on them.
Even my wireless USB mouse worked in DOS. Been awhile since I played in DOS-land
and I didn't know I could do all that. Gotta love them hackers!

Be careful with that Hiren's Boot CD if you find it, you can just as easily wipe
out your whole operating system, permanently kill your bios or hard-drive
master-boot-record, etc. as you can repair it with just the wrong utility or
option selected.