Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java noob looking for in depth highly technical tutorials

Java noob looking for in depth highly technical tutorials

supemoy@gmail.com

Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
decided to add Java to my list of languages.
However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
understanding of java's basics.

Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
similar skillset to my own?

Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
for hassling the news group without doing any research.
I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

Thanks in advance,
--John

Sanjay

> Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
> decided to add Java to my list of languages.
> However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
> of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
> geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
> understanding of java's basics.
>
> Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
> similar skillset to my own?
>
> Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
> what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
> for hassling the news group without doing any research.
> I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
> bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> --John

why don't you read something like a developers guide or J2SE guide or
skip the parts that you already know from a book which is too
elementary. In my opinion there is no such perfect book that suits to
your exact needs. At least I never came across a programming book that
gives me what I want.

Mark Clements

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
> decided to add Java to my list of languages.
> However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
> of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
> geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
> understanding of java's basics.
>
> Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
> similar skillset to my own?
>
> Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
> what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
> for hassling the news group without doing any research.
> I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
> bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

Java in a Nutshell? Might be enough to get you started. The Java
Cookbook also isn't bad.

Mark

TechBookReport

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
> decided to add Java to my list of languages.
> However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
> of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
> geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
> understanding of java's basics.
>
> Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
> similar skillset to my own?
>
> Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
> what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
> for hassling the news group without doing any research.
> I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
> bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> --John

Have you looked at the recommendations on TechBookReport
(http://www.techbookreport.com/JavaIndex.html). There's a section of
recommendations for programmers coming to Java from other languages...

Pan

--
TechBookReport - http://www.techbookreport.com

kaldrenon

On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
> decided to add Java to my list of languages.
> However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
> of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
> geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
> understanding of java's basics.
>
> Does anyone know of a good java primer geared towards someone with a
> similar skillset to my own?
>
> Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
> what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
> for hassling the news group without doing any research.
> I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
> bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> --John

I've heard good things about Bruce Eckel's _Thinking in Java_,
although I heard from one source that is geared more toward switching
to Java from C++. The third edition is available online for free at
http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

-Andrew

Roedy Green

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 04:01:00 -0000, "(E-Mail Removed)"
said :

>Undoubtedly someone will post a link to a google query with exactly
>what I need as the first result returned, and most likely berate me
>for hassling the news group without doing any research.
>I would like to state in advance that I have already searched quit a
>bit, and am posting this question here as a last resort.

Check out you local bookstore books with titles similar to "Java for
C programmers".

I came to Java through C then C++ myself. You might find the
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/gotchas.html tutorial will be fruitful.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Christopher Benson-Manica

kaldrenon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've heard good things about Bruce Eckel's _Thinking in Java_,
> although I heard from one source that is geared more toward switching
> to Java from C++. The third edition is available online for free at
> http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/

I found "Thinking in Java" to be very helpful in learning the language
from a C and C++ background, and I imagine it's a good place for
anyone with programming experience to start. I would personally
recommend ponying up the cash for the non-free fourth edition,
however, as it covers the major Java 5 language updates, which are
really not optional these days.

supemoy@gmail.com

Thank you everyone, several of these leads look really promising.

--John

Twisted

On Jul 6, 12:01 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, I am a C / ASM / C# / bash programmer and I have recently
> decided to add Java to my list of languages.
> However the only tutorials I have found either assume a complete lack
> of prior programing knowledge and advance at a snails pace, or are
> geared to specifics of the java language and assume a rather thorough
> understanding of java's basics.

And most of the responses evilly push you toward various things you'd
have to pay to read.

Try Sun's own Java tutorials, at java.sun.com (use Google; I can't
remember the exact URL offhand). They're good and better yet, they're
free. If you still need more after that that the tutorial and the API
docs (also free) can't satisfy, THEN contemplate possibly buying a
book or something.

JT

You can download the free version of Thinking In Java 3 here:

http://mindview.net/Books/TIJ/DownloadSites