Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing photos? ? ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Printing photos? ? ?

 
 
Ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2007
Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.

But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from the
camera.

And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.

Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
little to me -- even if it's free.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Victek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-05-2007


"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aYdji.8937$DM4.5611@trndny06...
> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>
> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from
> the camera.
>
> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>
> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
> little to me -- even if it's free.
>


You could edit the pictures on a computer, copy them back to the SD card,
put it in the camera and then print. That's a pretty inconvenient
workaround though.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Randy Berbaum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007

"Victek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3kfji.20747$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>
>
> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aYdji.8937$DM4.5611@trndny06...
>> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
>> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>>
>> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from
>> the camera.
>>
>> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>>
>> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
>> little to me -- even if it's free.
>>

>
> You could edit the pictures on a computer, copy them back to the SD card,
> put it in the camera and then print. That's a pretty inconvenient
> workaround though.

One possible problem with this. Many cameras will not recognize an edited
image on the card and thus if the printer is using the camera to read the
card, an edited image may not be findable by the camera to print. The above
suggested idea is worth a try, but don't be suprized if the printer can not
find the edited image.

The best way to print an edited image is for the printer to be connected to
the computer and printed from there. If the printer is only able to connect
to the camera you may be out of luck. Of course you can keep the free
printer for quickly printing "snapshots" that don't have to be edited, and a
seperate printer for printing the photos you have edited and connected to
the computer. Remember that when concerning "free extra gifts" you
frequently get what you pay for.

For some family gatherings I wish I had a small, inexpensive (read, one I am
not too concerned about bouncing around in my car or camera bag) printer
that connects directly to the camera that I could take along for those
inevidable "OOooo I want a print of THAT one" moments. While I can keep my
good printer at home. I know there are such printers available but I have
not (as yet) allotted the requred funds for one.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
Thanks -- that makes sense.

This printer I have is fairly small -- about the size of a small boombox and
also very light. It has a handle. I got it at Ritz Camera.

I suspect that eventually I'll give it away or throw it away.

-- Ray

"Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f6km6k$9ik$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Victek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3kfji.20747$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>
>>
>> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:aYdji.8937$DM4.5611@trndny06...
>>> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
>>> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>>>
>>> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from
>>> the camera.
>>>
>>> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>>>
>>> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
>>> little to me -- even if it's free.
>>>

>>
>> You could edit the pictures on a computer, copy them back to the SD card,
>> put it in the camera and then print. That's a pretty inconvenient
>> workaround though.

> One possible problem with this. Many cameras will not recognize an edited
> image on the card and thus if the printer is using the camera to read the
> card, an edited image may not be findable by the camera to print. The
> above suggested idea is worth a try, but don't be suprized if the printer
> can not find the edited image.
>
> The best way to print an edited image is for the printer to be connected
> to the computer and printed from there. If the printer is only able to
> connect to the camera you may be out of luck. Of course you can keep the
> free printer for quickly printing "snapshots" that don't have to be
> edited, and a seperate printer for printing the photos you have edited and
> connected to the computer. Remember that when concerning "free extra
> gifts" you frequently get what you pay for.
>
> For some family gatherings I wish I had a small, inexpensive (read, one I
> am not too concerned about bouncing around in my car or camera bag)
> printer that connects directly to the camera that I could take along for
> those inevidable "OOooo I want a print of THAT one" moments. While I can
> keep my good printer at home. I know there are such printers available but
> I have not (as yet) allotted the requred funds for one.
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
thomas.c.monego@hitchcock.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
On Jul 5, 6:07 pm, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>
> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from the
> camera.
>
> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>
> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
> little to me -- even if it's free.



Connect the printer to your computer, probably USB, have an
inexpensive viewer editor on the computer, Irfanview, Picassa and
manage the files from there. The problem with printing from cards is
that you don't have editing facilites. If you don't have a computer
you are probably out of luck, just try to be a little tighter on the
framing of your pics. Had a friend with a Kodak digital and a docking
station, she used it like a Polaroid camera, take a pic or two print
them out.
Storing pics on a flash card is not a good solution, a computer HD is
better.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
thomas.c.monego@hitchcock.org
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
On Jul 5, 6:07 pm, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>
> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from the
> camera.
>
> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>
> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
> little to me -- even if it's free.



Connect the printer to your computer, probably USB, have an
inexpensive viewer editor on the computer, Irfanview, Picassa and
manage the files from there. The problem with printing from cards is
that you don't have editing facilites. If you don't have a computer
you are probably out of luck, just try to be a little tighter on the
framing of your pics. Had a friend with a Kodak digital and a docking
station, she used it like a Polaroid camera, take a pic or two print
them out.
Storing pics on a flash card is not a good solution, a computer HD is
better.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Silverton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote on Fri, 06 Jul 2007
05:43:36 -0700:

tcm> Storing pics on a flash card is not a good solution, a
tcm> computer HD is better.

Given the current prices, you could afford to devote a medium
size USB hard disc to photo storage and even demount it for
safety when you were not using it.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
On Jul 6, 4:09 am, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thanks -- that makes sense.
>
> This printer I have is fairly small -- about the size of a small boombox and
> also very light. It has a handle. I got it at Ritz Camera.
>
> I suspect that eventually I'll give it away or throw it away.
>
> -- Ray
>
> "Randy Berbaum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:f6km6k$9ik$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
>
> > "Victek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:3kfji.20747$(E-Mail Removed). net...

>
> >> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:aYdji.8937$DM4.5611@trndny06...
> >>> Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
> >>> wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.

>
> >>> But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from
> >>> the camera.

>
> >>> And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.

>
> >>> Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
> >>> little to me -- even if it's free.

>
> >> You could edit the pictures on a computer, copy them back to the SD card,
> >> put it in the camera and then print. That's a pretty inconvenient
> >> workaround though.

> > One possible problem with this. Many cameras will not recognize an edited
> > image on the card and thus if the printer is using the camera to read the
> > card, an edited image may not be findable by the camera to print. The
> > above suggested idea is worth a try, but don't be suprized if the printer
> > can not find the edited image.

>
> > The best way to print an edited image is for the printer to be connected
> > to the computer and printed from there. If the printer is only able to
> > connect to the camera you may be out of luck. Of course you can keep the
> > free printer for quickly printing "snapshots" that don't have to be
> > edited, and a seperate printer for printing the photos you have edited and
> > connected to the computer. Remember that when concerning "free extra
> > gifts" you frequently get what you pay for.

>
> > For some family gatherings I wish I had a small, inexpensive (read, one I
> > am not too concerned about bouncing around in my car or camera bag)
> > printer that connects directly to the camera that I could take along for
> > those inevidable "OOooo I want a print of THAT one" moments. While I can
> > keep my good printer at home. I know there are such printers available but
> > I have not (as yet) allotted the requred funds for one.

>
> > Randy

>
> > ==========
> > Randy Berbaum
> > Champaign, IL


Ray, do you have a computer, or do you access the group via a third
party.

If you do have a computer, try "installing" the printer on the
computer. There are decent free or low cost photo editors- you do not
need to spend megabucks for Photoshop.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2007
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:07:02 GMT, "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Recently I purchased a new camera, and it included a free (after those
>wretched rebates) picture printer -- a Lexmark Polaroid P310.
>
>But as far as I can tell, all it prints is unedited photos directly from the
>camera.
>
>And I don't seem to be able to crop the photos on the camera's SD card.
>
>Is there some way around this problem? Otherwise, the printer is worth
>little to me -- even if it's free.
>
>

I Googled this printer, and from what I could find, it's a Pictbridge
only printer.
That means it won't print from a computer, only from Pictbridge
cameras through a USB cable.
If you can find software that will let you edit pics then upoload them
to your camera's memory car din a format that your camera will accept,
then you can print your edited pics.
I know there's a fellow here on RPD who has such software; if he sees
this, maybe he'll chime in.

--
THIS IS A SIG LINE; NOT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!

Al Gore's son was pulled over by cops in Southern
California Tuesday going one hundred miles an hour
in his Prius. He had marijuana, Valium, Xanax and
Vicodin in the car. The Los Angeles Times headline
read, Prius Goes One Hundred Miles an Hour.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 2 11-27-2010 12:12 PM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:52 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:50 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-21-2007 05:28 AM
brochure printing,online yearbook,printing,books printing,publishing elie Computer Support 0 08-18-2007 10:11 AM



Advertisments